Worth checking it out? by Blitz54
Started on: 10-18-2017 06:32 PM
Replies: 7 (602 views)
Last post by: liv4God on 10-19-2017 01:08 PM
Blitz54

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2017 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blitz54Send a Private Message to Blitz54Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey peeps. So I got word on a yellow fiero behind an apartment block in the city. I checked google maps, and luckily the car was there when the google van went by haha.

I'm still new, but the bumper looks different than my 86. I assume it's an 84 then? Unlikely that someone would have swapped the bumper on, but then the fact that it's yellow throws me off too. Because apparently they didn't have yellow 84s. I mean someone could have painted it but still. I think there is an SE lettering on the sail panel there. But hard to tell.

If I was to grab it for say, 300 bucks. Would it be worth it parts wise for my 86? I don't specifically need anything off it other than the sail panels, but for future parts car.

Or, is the 84 any good for an engine swap? As in put my v6 in the 84 and put a 3800 in mine :P Likely won't happen for ages but just trying to figure out if it's worth 300 or so.

https://ibb.co/e3Hvd6
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-18-2017 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the frame is good, I would prefer to have it restored instead of using it as parts car. We need to keep every Fiero alive & on the road whenever possible. If we keep using more & more Fieros as parts cars, there won't be many left in the future.

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 10-18-2017).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2017 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely a repaint.
That's an 84-85-86 base coupe. Or maybe a pre-86 SE.
If it has the flat decklid, with the vent grid in the center, it's probably an 84.
If it has the bump in the middle of the decklid, with the vents on either side of the bump, and no brake light in the back window, it's probably an 85.
If it has the bump in the middle of the decklid, and has the brake light in the back window, it's probably an 86.

Or it may be a FrankenFiero.

Edit - Sorry. I just reread your post. If it's an 84, there are not a lot of parts that will be useful for an 86. It also would not be a good candidate for a V6 transplant, since the 84 never came with a V6. Lots of wiring changes after 84. Among other things.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-18-2017).]

Blitz54

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2017 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blitz54Send a Private Message to Blitz54Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info Raydar. It would indeed be an 84 then because it has the vent grid on the decklid too. It also doesn't have the volt and oil guages above the radio, which came with the V6 correct?

I'll check it out sometime maybe. It's been sitting since at least 2015 according to google maps. The sail panels fit in the 86 still right? And they are glass, so that would be nice to have, and it would match my 86 SE.

Probably not worth it, but who knows. Maybe some miracle it runs and they parked it because gas was too expensive :P
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2017 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it's a 2m4, they probably didn't park it because of gas prices, they probably parked it because they had a kid! Lol
The aux gauges didn't happen until 86gt. 85gt didn't have them. 85gt was only year gt notchie too.
Ron
tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2017 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86SE had AUX gauges. I thought the 85GT would have had them, too, but you have one, so I guess not. My 86SE came with AUX gauges.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2017 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
84 sail panels attach a littledifferently. I haven't seen the back of an 84 to know how easily they would attach to a non 84 or not. But 84 sails are glass and are the best for that reason. Looks like it says SE on the sail.

Save 'em all
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2017 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's true, the 84 sail panels are glass and good quality. I think 85 had glass ones too. However after that they switched to plastic and those crack and fade. I have a stash of 84 panels which I intended to use on my other cars, but if I remember correctly they are different in that they are slightly smaller. Since the car I tried it on was repainted red from white there was a white rim around it. Secondly it uses some special mounting clips. They slip on the car body panel and the sail panel has studs that slide in the clip. Easy to do, but I didn't have the clips and couldn't find them in the store. There is also a bolt stud that you have to put the nut on by removing the b pillar. I think you'll have to do that to remove the 86+ ones too. All in all, if your car was not repainted and you have the clips (which I'm sure are on the yellow car) then it's a pretty easy job.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock