Steering rack bushings by heypal
Started on: 10-01-2017 12:51 PM
Replies: 10 (678 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 10-05-2017 04:05 PM
heypal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2017 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heypalSend a Private Message to heypalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I have an 88 Formula. For years now the handling has been twitchy as it wonders around a bit as you drive down the road. I recently bought inner an outer tie rods installed. When I picked up the car the mechanic told me the rack bushings are toast. I know this is a common problem on the Fiero, but would this be the culprit to my handling woes?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2017 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was he talking about the rack mounting bushings?
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/RPC15908
http://rodneydickman.com/ca...6_43&products_id=374

Or the internal rack bushing?
http://rodneydickman.com/ca...6_43&products_id=101

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-01-2017).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2017 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not sure if this is relevant to your issue or not...... but it's worth a shot.

I had problems with mine, that if I hit a bump in the road, the car would want to steer either to the left or to the right. Turns out, in my situation, it was my steering dampener, basically a shock absorber for the steering rack. I bought mine on Amazon for around $30 and it resolved the problem completely.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2017 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NAPA shows those bushings as '84-'88. I thought the '88 was different.
heypal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2017 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heypalSend a Private Message to heypalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Was he talking about the rack mounting bushings?
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/RPC15908
http://rodneydickman.com/ca...6_43&products_id=374

Or the internal rack bushing?
http://rodneydickman.com/ca...6_43&products_id=101

Good question! I will have to get in touch with him. I assumed it was the internal bushings, but perhaps it was the mounting bushings. I will call him later this morning and get the scoop.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2017 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heypal:

Good question! I will have to get in touch with him. I assumed it was the internal bushings, but perhaps it was the mounting bushings. I will call him later this morning and get the scoop.

Info on rebuilding the 88 rack
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/135687.html

heypal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2017 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heypalSend a Private Message to heypalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No word back from my mechanic. If I am a betting man, I would say he said the inner bushings are worn. The car does have 206,000 miles on it. So lets assume they are worn. Will this affect the handing of the car? The wondering drives me nuts!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2017 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

I am not sure if this is relevant to your issue or not...... but it's worth a shot.

I had problems with mine, that if I hit a bump in the road, the car would want to steer either to the left or to the right. Turns out, in my situation, it was my steering dampener, basically a shock absorber for the steering rack. I bought mine on Amazon for around $30 and it resolved the problem completely.

88s don't have one.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2017 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007
Does the car have a proper alignment? Struts still working well? Also cradle bolts not loose.

These are three things to check.

Also I personally had a Fiero where the upper control arm bolt and nut were loose, this caused the back of the car to feel squirmy.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-04-2017).]

heypal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2017 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heypalSend a Private Message to heypalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, struts are good as well as alignment. I will have to check the cradle bolts. The car has been driving like this for years. I chalked it up as "normal" but the more I drive it, I am beginning to think otherwise.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2017 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heypal:

Yup, struts are good as well as alignment. I will have to check the cradle bolts. The car has been driving like this for years. I chalked it up as "normal" but the more I drive it, I am beginning to think otherwise.

Twitchy is not not normal for a Formula. Mine is rock solid even at high speed. Carefully check your tire sidewalls for damage and recheck inflation. Alignments are not easy on Fieros, and it still could be the issue.....especially rear alignment. Some alignment shops are too sloppy to do the job a Fiero requires. If your car twitches with acceleration or deceleration, check motor mounts.

edit: there is also the 'longbolt' issue with the rear knuckle....check Rodney's site for more information.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...6_43&products_id=352

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 10-05-2017).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay