CVXJET's Custom B Pillars by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 09-16-2017 06:10 PM
Replies: 5 (632 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 07-26-2023 11:45 AM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2017 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am posting these pics for CVXJET. He does some terrific custom stuff on his car and I am posting these pictures for him. I've seen this mod in person and it looks really professional. Makes me wish I had his skill and knowledge. He will be on later to post his own comments about his project below.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2017 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok....My 85 SE V6 had the paint start dying in 1998....It had been parked outside it's whole life....The paint started to crack into tiny little pieces...I found out that a good paint job would cost $2000 (Yikes!) so I started looking in the junk yards and found a factory-paint hood and roof....and a GT rear clip. When I started taking the quarter windows off, one was already damaged at the front, and the other one cracked when I tried to remove it and the body clip at the same time (That stud!)

I had always liked the look of the 1975-1980 Monza "B" pillar vents, so I decided to copy the decklid grills on the Fiero GT- and failed miserably! I tried to cut that shape into plexi that I figured I could then heat and curve...Just could not pull it off- So I finally decided to just go with a flat piece.

I cut some 1/8"aluminum and then ran it thru a roller to give it the curve..I had to have a co-worker with some muscle turn the handle...I would suggest using a hydraulic roller or press instead.....I carved and curved a front piece, then had a friend weld it on and shaped it to create a nice curve at the leading edge.....I made three tabs that catch on the body- 2 at "D" and 1 at "C"...It actually twisted on and would probably stay, but I felt safer securing it with a countersunk screw into one of those nylon expando nuts ("B")....Then, covered the screw-head with a G6 trunk emblem. I painted them the same graphite metallic that I painted the wheel centers.

The quarter windows were originally held on with thick tape strips- The quarter windows as original are flush with the body, but the front side windows are recessed.....This seemed to lack continuity, so I bonded the windows on with black RTV, which hid some of the scratches in the black-out rim of the glass, and also moved the quarters in approx' 1/8".....not exactly matching the front glass...but closer...As you can see, I also worried about the RTV some day failing, so I used some more of those nylon expando nuts and screws with finish washers ("A") as a "Fail-safe" to keep the windows on the car even if the RTV died.

The idea here is that the gray "B" pillar fools the eye into thinking that it really is the thinner >B< pillar, while the blacked out glass that hides the real structural pillar looks like part of the window....This makes the car look a little more graceful with a thinner "B" pillar.....

Making them out of aluminum was easier for me, especially with access to metal working tools, and a welder friend (Who will not let me pay him!)...If there was interest, these could be made out of Fiberglass much easier.

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 09-16-2017).]

Alienbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2023 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlienbishopSend a Private Message to AlienbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool! breaking the whole glass part in two improved overall proportions, it made car look bit bigger, in my opinion originally front and rear glass together are creating glass area that is too big for the car of this size, this mode is correcting this beautifully! It made me think that maybe I could try something like that on my car too . . . ))
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2023 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very well done!
shemdogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2023 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks awesome!

shem
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2023 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My original idea was to copy the 1970's Monza "B" pillars....

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 07-26-2023).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock