How to compress and fit new springs!? by SP1200
Started on: 09-11-2017 10:02 PM
Replies: 6 (285 views)
Last post by: LornesGT on 09-17-2017 01:23 AM
SP1200

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2017 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey...how does everyone go about compressing and fitting new front springs into a pre-88 front end?

I got the mogg springs that are a few inches bigger (14") than my old springs (88-ARD's @ 12") and there is quite a bit of compressing I need to do to get them into the bump stop and the lower control arm of my 87.

Has anyone had to completely remove the lower control arm?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2017 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have yet to do the front spring on a pre-88 but...

tie down the springs with a strap rated to hold enough weight and put it in.

Or I've never tried this on the front of a pre-88 but if there's room a spring compressor.

Whatever you do be careful. Springs have a lot of energy and can hurt you bad if you are not careful.
SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2017 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yea... no room for compressor bolt on top because of the bump stop, or below because of the shock mount. ugh. lol.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2017 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SP1200:

Has anyone had to completely remove the lower control arm?

I'd been informed years ago by someone in the know that unbolting the lower control arms is the "factory" recommended procedure to Re & Re the front springs.

I've replaced the front springs in several pre-88 Fieros, but the springs I put back in were shorter than what I took out. They were easy to install without being compressed (or unbolting the LCAs).

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-11-2017).]

hye_4_life

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2017 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hye_4_lifeSend a Private Message to hye_4_lifeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The way I've done it several times and will have to do again in the near future is by using (yes, this can be very dangerous so do so at your own risk if you choose to do so) 550 paracord. I believe the front springs are rated at about 210 lbs/in and the paracord I use is rated for somewhere between 200 and 300 pounds, sustained. After compressing the spring, I tied the cord to one of the top coils then ran it down and tied it to one of the last coils and, without cutting the paracord to start a new string, I ran it back up to one of the top coils, tied it and repeated this until there were about 10-15 runs all right along one another, not spaced out. Arrange it to where the tied down portion will be toward the inside of the car, facing the crossmember. It's a pain to undue once it's back in the car and being compressed by the control arm unless you choose to just cut it. Doing it that way though holds the spring in the position it would have if it were installed and makes it easier to install. If you opt to tediously remove and reuse the paracord be careful not to damage it while removing it and don't reuse it if it does get damaged, they're relatively inexpensive.

This also worked with the full length 275 lbs/in Mustang II springs that I installed in the front of my 86 GT, though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't more careful and sweating a little [a lot] more while handling it.

Edit: be sure you'll have access to the coil you tie the paracord to once it's installed so it doesn't get pinched and stuck.

[This message has been edited by hye_4_life (edited 09-11-2017).]

SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I ended up compressing the spring wiht (3) compressors from 3 sides. I used those red truck straps to tie next to each compressor. I tied them tight and they expanded a bit but it held just enough to get them in. Now "safe" but it was the only way I could. I think it would have been best to remove the lower control arm, but I didn't want to deal with that.
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2017 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used this but it was still very much a battle. The part that hooks the spring has to be in exactly the right place to be able to release the tension to get it out from between the coils.

https://t.harborfreight.com...ompressor-43753.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock