Mustang Scoop On Rear Decklid by VanGTP5000
Started on: 08-19-2017 02:41 PM
Replies: 27 (1210 views)
Last post by: DLCLK87GT on 09-12-2017 03:38 PM
VanGTP5000

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2017 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen really nice Rear Deck Lid Scoops on Fieros but each time I have asked about them I was told they where from a Mustang but didn't recall the year. What years have you been using? Pics?

Thanks
Van
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2017 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The hood scoop from the Fox body Mustang is probably the one you're talking about. That seems to be the most popular.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2017 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"thadriver" sells a Mustang style scoop that is specifically sized (a bit shorter front to back) to fit the Fiero.

http://angelonearth.net/customfiberglass/
Look under "decklids, scoops, and louvers".

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-19-2017).]

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2017 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

"thadriver" sells a Mustang style scoop that is specifically sized (a bit shorter front to back) to fit the Fiero.

http://angelonearth.net/customfiberglass/
Look under "decklids, scoops, and louvers".

I used Paul`s on my 86 but someone gave me a Mustang scoop and I think it will look good too.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2017 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you gentlemen. I just emailed Paul. I am hoping he can help me possibly design something custom.

[This message has been edited by VanGTP5000 (edited 08-21-2017).]

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2017 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paul's scoop. does it need to be glassed in or does it bolt down?

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 08-19-2017).]

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do I really need to show you a picture?
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

The description on his website says it is a mold in scoop. You could likely convert it to be bolt on with some work.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCircs:

Well I never get tired of looking at pics of your car!
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

I molded mine in but you could fiberglass some studs onto the inside ledge to make it a bolt on.
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry about that, missed the mold part. Doh
PFF
System Bot
Easy8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCircs:

Here, this is picture of my car, before I owned it but who's checking

This is a bolt on set up. You end up with a slight gap that a bonded one will not have and there are the bolts to deal with under the trunk lid.

VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Easy8:

Here, this is picture of my car, before I owned it but who's checking

This is a bolt on set up. You end up with a slight gap that a bonded one will not have and there are the bolts to deal with under the trunk lid.

You didn't mention what scoop it is. Is that a Fox Body Mustang scoop?
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VanGTP5000:

You didn't mention what scoop it is. Is that a Fox Body Mustang scoop?

That one must be a Mustang scoop because it`s longer.
Here is one of Paul`s that was on my car.
Easy8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2017 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did not have it installed but I was told it is a mustang scoop. It was on the car when I got it. One of these days I am going to put some screen in the back and open up some vents to the engine under it. But that is awhile off, the car is currently in storage while I am working in Taiwan.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2017 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They both look great to me!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2017 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Paul's scoop. It has a ledge around the inside, that seems like it would allow for the installation of studs.

This was a Mustang scoop, that was shortened slightly, on the front edge.

And another Mustang scoop.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-27-2017).]

fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2017 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I have Paul's scoop. It has a ledge around the inside, that seems like it would allow for the installation of studs.

I betcha if you talked to Paul he would probably glass in the studs for ya.....I met him at his house and picked up a 88 cradle from him..He's a good guy too..
USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2017 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are they for looks only, or are they actually open to allow hot air to escape?

If open, where does water run off to in the engine bay?
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2017 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USMUCL:

Are they for looks only, or are they actually open to allow hot air to escape?

If open, where does water run off to in the engine bay?

I had a hole cut in my decklid but it was far enough back from the rear edge that the water ran towards the back of the car and didn`t go into the hole.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2017 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The description on his website says it is a mold in scoop. You could likely convert it to be bolt on with some work.

Any scoop can be made into a bolt on. All it takes is fiberglassing some bolts on the bottom side. I prefer bolt ons as opposed to molded in ones because 9 times out of 10, due to varying thicknesses, it will swell or crack at the joint sooner or later.

PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2017 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you going to drill holes to bolt it on you may as well mold it on it isn't like you can just unbolt it and all is good again.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2017 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can put plugs in the holes if you remove it. You have to saw or rip off a molded one or buy a new decklid. Bolted on ones wont crack and bubble after a year. Besides, you still have to bolt or screw it on to mold it in.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 08-31-2017).]

retroman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a Boss 429 scoop to me, though from what I gathered, it appears some '79-'82 Mustangs used a similar "retro" lower profile scoop. I also know later SN-95 GT's also came with a non-functional Boss 429 style scoop as well. That said, I appreciate the fact that a Mustang style scoop is being offered for the Fiero with no modification needed. I always liked the look it adds to our cars.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Any scoop can be made into a bolt on. All it takes is fiberglassing some bolts on the bottom side. I prefer bolt ons as opposed to molded in ones because 9 times out of 10, due to varying thicknesses, it will swell or crack at the joint sooner or later.

I guess I was one of the lucky ones, or used good materials.
My "Camaro" type spoiler and "Pauls" mustang parts were molded on my car right up to the time it burned, which was two years and there was never even a slight crack where the decklid and fiberglass part joined.
I fiberglassed the parts on with a good resin and cloth and then used Evercoat filler, both made to work with SMC.
I really thought they might develop soem small cracks but they never did.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

I guess I was one of the lucky ones, or used good materials.
My "Camaro" type spoiler and "Pauls" mustang parts were molded on my car right up to the time it burned, which was two years and there was never even a slight crack where the decklid and fiberglass part joined.
I fiberglassed the parts on with a good resin and cloth and then used Evercoat filler, both made to work with SMC.
I really thought they might develop soem small cracks but they never did.

Ill agree sometimes people are just lucky. Years ago I fixed the lower quarter panels behind the rear wheels of a 55 Ford for a friend. He didnt want to weld on it so we just glued on some screen and bondoed it up and painted it. It still looked fine 4 years later when he sold it. Ive had other rust holes (like my minivan) I duraglassed, filled and painted that popped back up in less than a month. Its just a beater so not worth time to do more.

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2017 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mustang (real one) and lip spoiler on my 88 coupe.

mustang (fiberglass copy) and lip spoiler on my 88 GT

Rob
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2017 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took a bolt on one that came from who knows what originally, I think I saw something similar on an older Dodge truck.
I used a couple of the bolts but bonded it on as well. Looks pretty slick with the spoiler on. Almost hides it.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 09-12-2017).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock