Preservation efforts and POR-15 by Sundowner
Started on: 08-09-2017 04:07 PM
Replies: 14 (509 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 08-14-2017 09:51 AM
Sundowner

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2017 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SundownerSend a Private Message to SundownerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,

I'm putting together my old Formula that's been in pieces for a few years and after crawling around under the car and inside the engine compartment, I'm seriously considering picking up some POR-15 to paint over pretty much the entire undercarriage and engine bay. There's bits of surface rust here and there (especially the floor plugs). This is New England so once it's done I'll be pretty much only driving the car on nice days on dry roads.

Wondering what you all think about how best to preserve these cars as they are getting on in years. Parts seem to be WAY harder to find now and so many things are no longer available new.

Am I doing right by my car to brush on the POR-15? We're not going for show points here...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2017 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried POR15 on a cradle before and would not waste the money again as it started to peel within a couple years (and yes it was properly prepped).

I would use a etching primer and a good quality paint, or you could have it powder coated.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2017 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
POR 15 is great stuff I have used it. Its been on the Chassis of one of my cas for 9 years. Its application involves other chemicals and preparations that are important too, make sure to check that out. Also if it is in a place that will get sunlight it needs a topcoat of another paint, POR is vulnerable to UV. One other thing is if your metal is still all good and like you said it will be driven on nice days for fun, I would probably just use something simpler, just a good primer and paint.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-09-2017).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2017 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
POR-15 only sticks to rusty metal. If you put it over a painted surface, it will peel off. To properly apply, you need to sandblast or sand the surface to bare metal, flash rust the entire surface with their supplied chemicals, then apply POR-15.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 08-09-2017).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2017 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have had great results with the Eastwood chassis paints and rust reformer.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2017 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Used POR 15 on my cradle when I did my engine swap back in 2013. I acid etched the new metal and wire brushed the rusty metal. Still looks good to this day. I think key is acid etching any new or unrusted metal.
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2017 05:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Chassis Saver" a product just like POR15 works very well. No regrets after using on a cradle.
Sundowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2017 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SundownerSend a Private Message to SundownerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great info you guys thanks a lot!. I didn't know there was so much prep needed for the POR-15... I like the idea of a simpler chassis paint that I can just use over the existing factory black.
Cavvy09

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2017 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cavvy09Send a Private Message to Cavvy09Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I actually used magic implement paint during my engine swap few years ago, and still looks just as good today as it did 3 years ago. Can get it at tractor supply for like $40 a gallon.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2017 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
May want to consider using LizardSkin:

http://www.lizardskin.com/

It's a great protective coating with heat insulation or sound insulation.
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2017 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the undercarriage of my 88 Formula was in pretty bad shape. I used POR-15 and was/ still am, extremely satisfied with the results. this stuff is bullet proof ! all I did was heavily wire brush the entire bottom of the car, the clean off the residue. ( I had a wire brush wheel in a drill for the process ) My Fiero now has a strong undercoated protectant which I myself strongly recommend. POR- 15 also has an attractive finish too. one thing though...WEAR GLOVES !!!!! This stuff DOES NOT COME OFF ! That should tell you a thing or two about this product. Its a bank vault in a can if you ask me.
PFF
System Bot
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2017 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
POR 15 iis good. I did my Fiero cradles and underbidty with it. THe orginal POR 15 is for rust then they have a chassis coat which is more of topcoat. Use the POR 15 on the rusteareas, let dry, then usse the chassiscoat over everything. Looks fantasitc for years and did not peel for me.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2017 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Por15 is UV sensitive and needs to be coated even under the car. Many people forget this.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2017 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
/\/\/\ This is true and often forgotten. /\/\/\

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2017 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofrenzy:

.... POR- 15 also has an attractive finish too. one thing though...WEAR GLOVES !!!!! This stuff DOES NOT COME OFF ! .

Yep I recommend long sleeves, long pants, gloves, and I masking taped my sleeves to my gloves so there was no gap. Another trick is sunscreen or lotion on your face, it helps so any spatter wont stick too well, oh and a stocking hat.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-14-2017).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock