87 Fiero GT LED Taillight Experiance by Plutonius
Started on: 07-28-2017 06:21 PM
Replies: 6 (671 views)
Last post by: MulletproofMonk on 08-02-2017 11:41 AM
Plutonius

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PlutoniusSend a Private Message to PlutoniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just thought I would share my experiences with some LED bulbs that I purchased. I am a stock kind of guy but wanted something that I could simply plug and play with no modifications to my existing setup and also something that wasn`t going to break the bank to implement. I saw one site that sold just the third brake LED for 40 dollars.

The LED 3rd brake light and taillights are much brighter than the stock halogen and 1157 bulb respectively. I also changed out my PONTIAC logo bulbs to LEDs. I have had many 1157s burn out and hopefully these LEDs will last longer.

Cell phone photos aren`t the best but the color is perfect match to factory.

LED Taillight (1157 Replacement) - Price $26.87 for 2

LED 3rd Brakelight (889 Halogen Replacement) - $13.91 for 2

[This message has been edited by Plutonius (edited 07-28-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I paid $200 for the tail lights and rear turn signals as PnP LED replacements from BTR. I don't remember how many bulbs that was, but at least 8. I think BTR sells that kit for $150, now, or did last I looked.
Plutonius

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PlutoniusSend a Private Message to PlutoniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I first looked at BTR but the pricing seemed too high (Especially the third brake light LED) since all the distributors get them from the China slow boat at the end of the day.

The LEDs that BTR sells seems to be the same, if not very similar, to the ones that I got off of West Coast Classic Cougars. I kept the same turn signal bulbs since they are bright enough and last a long time since I do not use them very often. The only "advantage" that they seem to be is the instant on/off but that doesn`t matter to me personally.

[This message has been edited by Plutonius (edited 07-28-2017).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the level 2 36-LED array, rather than the individual bulb.

I went LED, because I wanted a more even spread of light in the assembly. I actually like the notchback lighting better. The fastback has a half-awake look.

Yes, the price was high, but that was what I found, at the time, and it didn't work, first try. Also, the turn signals, if you ever choose to change them to LED, require an electronic relay.

It's good to have another source.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Plutonius:

I also changed out my PONTIAC logo bulbs to LEDs.

What did you use there?

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Plutonius

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2017 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PlutoniusSend a Private Message to PlutoniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the Pontiac Logo I used a run of the mill LED 194. Maybe a little brighter but I did it more for longevity and heat reduction.

Price: $10 for 10
https://www.amazon.com/gp/p...03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used some interior and dash LEDs from BTR and got a similar bulb from China, literally off the slow boat.
Both worked fine in the Fiero, but the BTR one's seem to have a blue-ish crisp color and the China ones were more like a soft white on the interior.
Both LED's worked fine in my 2003 Camry as a replacement.
On my 2006 Kia Sedona the BTR LEDs worked fine, but the China LEDs would have a faint glow to them and use power.

I see you're in Xenia.

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page