Started on: 07-28-2017 11:42 AM
Replies: 38 (966 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 08-07-2017 05:25 PM
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lost my car today.
I have a swapped 3800SC and going down the highway today the insulation between my trunk and rear bumper caught fire.
Used an extinguisher but couldn`t get up to where the fire was and once the plastic caught it was gone.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did not know Fieros had insulation that could burn back there. Sorry for your loss, looks like there is not much you can salvage.
Leukay

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LeukaySend a Private Message to LeukayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow what a bummer... Glad nobody was hurt! Any idea what actually caused the fire?
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The trunk had been cut out of the car a few years back and along the line they had put fire retardent insulation blanket to keep the rear bumper from getting too hot from exhaust.
I built a trunk into it and should have removed that insulation but I didn`t.
I guess the insulation had unraveled a bit and started a small fire.
Someone on the road waved me down and we used an extinguisher to try to put it out but it was too far up in that tight space to get to and it dodn`t take long for the plastic bumper to catch.
From there it went fast.
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah man, that's heartbreaking.
shemdogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats terrible bro but glad your ok! Fu#$ing bummer man

shem
Rexgirl

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, so sorry for your huge loss! That was such a outstanding car... Thankfully, you are okay, and still have another Fiero to enjoy (yes?).
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for your loss.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Damn...
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone, If I can find the energy I may build another but at the moment it seems such a colossal task, with all the hours that went into the bodywork and everything else, to think about it.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 07-28-2017).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sure takes the wind out of your sails for a bit.
PFF
System Bot
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh man that is absolutely shocking! Such a fabulous car, and all that work we know you put into it! So sad

Glad you are OK!
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sad for you buddy. That was such a nice car
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW! So sorry to see this.....I know the blood, sweat and tears you put into your ride...and then poof.....it's gone in an instant.

Another one of my favorite builds.

No way to express how bad I feel for you, and as trite as it may sound, just glad YOU are ok....I can only imagine how devastating this must feel, but the bottom line is you are intact, and can move forward with whatever you choose to do.

If you want to build another car at some point, you can do it. Could have been much worse!

Hang in there.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-28-2017 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So very sorry. Thanks for posting.

Perhaps you should not build another one, but find something close to what you want and make it yours.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 07-29-2017).]

Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn dude... Sorry for your loss...

Glad you're alright though

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad you are good. That does suck, however cars can be replaced for sure.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sad...BTW, was this an 88?
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 04:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was an 86
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow!
Hopefully it was well insured.
Glad you are OK physically.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! That sucks. Glad you were not hurt.

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy crap, man! I truly hate that for you.
I *am* happy that you didn't get hurt.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So sorry. Heartbroken for you. That really sucks.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
01 BMW 525i: The other summer car
13 BMW X3: Daily Driver

mafv8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So sorry to see this
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Terrible news

Always loved your car- I took a lot of inspiration from it for my own. I'm so sorry for the loss. As everyone else has said, very glad YOU are ok.

Tim

tom.martin55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tom.martin55Send a Private Message to tom.martin55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh Man, that hurt my heart!! Looks like it was a really nice car. I saw one at the local pick n pull with a 3.8 S/C and wondered how they ran. I can only imagine. So sorry for your loss.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2017 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I`m not completely out.
I will soon be starting on an 88 Black T-top version of my car.
I think after new valve covers, throttle body, injectors, sensors, pulleys and a few other small parts my engine will be ready to use again.
Might even put in a cam and innercooler this time.
I think most of the fire was higher up, even though it burned the outside panels because the transmission doesn`t even look burned.
Just melted the shift position switch but those are fairly cheap.
The only thing I can`t duplicate, unless I get awfully lucky as I did once before, are the AusFiero scoops.
I can still use the front fenders, with the vents in them.
The front bumper escaped unscathed.
I may be able to repair the hood of the couple of holes the firefighters punched in it trying to get it open.
Actually, everything from the windshield forward is still useable.

tom.martin55
Here is how it looked a few weeks ago.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 07-30-2017).]

Russ88TTop

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2017 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ88TTopClick Here to visit Russ88TTop's HomePageSend a Private Message to Russ88TTopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mike
Sorry for the loss, it was a beautiful car, but at least your OK. Hopefully insurance covers it. I'm sure the next one will be just as nice
Russ
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2017 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Russ88TTop:

Mike
Sorry for the loss, it was a beautiful car, but at least your OK. Hopefully insurance covers it. I'm sure the next one will be just as nice
Russ

Thanks Russ, I only had liability so total loss.
My car had a rebuilt title so I didn`t persue full coverage as much as I should have.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2017 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the spoiler over the rear window area.

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

I`m not completely out.
I will soon be starting on an 88 Black T-top version of my car.
I think after new valve covers, throttle body, injectors, sensors, pulleys and a few other small parts my engine will be ready to use again.
Might even put in a cam and innercooler this time.
I think most of the fire was higher up, even though it burned the outside panels because the transmission doesn`t even look burned.
Just melted the shift position switch but those are fairly cheap.
The only thing I can`t duplicate, unless I get awfully lucky as I did once before, are the AusFiero scoops.
I can still use the front fenders, with the vents in them.
The front bumper escaped unscathed.
I may be able to repair the hood of the couple of holes the firefighters punched in it trying to get it open.
Actually, everything from the windshield forward is still useable.

tom.martin55
Here is how it looked a few weeks ago.

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2017 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
damn sorry for your loss.
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2017 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got some interior parts for the 88 GT t-top today.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2017 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXGOOD

5410 posts
Member since Feb 2006
Was afraid I was going to be looking for the t-top trim caps that are almost non-existant now but I found them in all of the stuff on the floorboard.
Weatherstrip is pretty good.
Just need to get a headliner and a couple of other parts.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2017 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WoW! I am SOOOooo sorry to see this! I was at the Tyler Shipman Show in MN, and am just now catching up on the forum. I know how much time and effort you put into your car. It sickens me that it ended up like this. I am glad to see it just dampened your spirits a bit, but you are still pressing on.

When you put the 3800 in the 88 you will be happy with the results. I got a chance to drive an 88 last week, and the ride and handling are far better than my 86 with ALL NEW suspension, bushings, bearings, tie rods and ends, sway bars ect.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2017 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

WoW! I am SOOOooo sorry to see this! I was at the Tyler Shipman Show in MN, and am just now catching up on the forum. I know how much time and effort you put into your car. It sickens me that it ended up like this. I am glad to see it just dampened your spirits a bit, but you are still pressing on.

When you put the 3800 in the 88 you will be happy with the results. I got a chance to drive an 88 last week, and the ride and handling are far better than my 86 with ALL NEW suspension, bushings, bearings, tie rods and ends, sway bars ect.

Honestly, I didn`t think I had enough energy to build another car but when the 88 t-top was presented I just couldn`t pass it up.

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post08-06-2017 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That sucks..

A race car fire suppression system would've been nice, but they are a tad pricey..
I am how ever going to try to make what I'd call the redneck one..
A standard extinguisher with 3/8 fuel line or 1/2"alum fuel line connected to it, and drill holes in it to make an supersized nos plate tube.. to go around the engine compartment.. To aim the retardant..
put the extinguisher in trunk , and use a power lock cyl to set it off.. This make using it easy from the drivers seat.. and set it up like a nos system.. 2 buttons or a switch and button,, an arm(I'd most likely use a switch with a light to let you know it is on/armed just so no oops happens) and then a fire, this way you can't set it off and make a mess by hitting one button and going oops..

the cost of the extinguisher or extinguishers(might be better to have 2 one spraying from in-front of engine and one from the rear. easier to package 2 smaller extinguishers than one large 10lb bottle)., the line and wire and switch,button,relay.. and junkyard power lock cyl. it should be under 100.00 bucks..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 08-06-2017).]

Luke

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2017 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LukeClick Here to visit Luke's HomePageSend a Private Message to LukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My condolences, I can only imagine how you feel. Good to hear you've got another build going.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2017 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

That sucks..

A race car fire suppression system would've been nice, but they are a tad pricey..
I am how ever going to try to make what I'd call the redneck one..
A standard extinguisher with 3/8 fuel line or 1/2"alum fuel line connected to it, and drill holes in it to make an supersized nos plate tube.. to go around the engine compartment.. To aim the retardant..
put the extinguisher in trunk , and use a power lock cyl to set it off.. This make using it easy from the drivers seat.. and set it up like a nos system.. 2 buttons or a switch and button,, an arm(I'd most likely use a switch with a light to let you know it is on/armed just so no oops happens) and then a fire, this way you can't set it off and make a mess by hitting one button and going oops..

the cost of the extinguisher or extinguishers(might be better to have 2 one spraying from in-front of engine and one from the rear. easier to package 2 smaller extinguishers than one large 10lb bottle)., the line and wire and switch,button,relay.. and junkyard power lock cyl. it should be under 100.00 bucks..

I would be very interested in how this turns out for you.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2017 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:
Honestly, I didn`t think I had enough energy to build another car but when the 88 t-top was presented I just couldn`t pass it up.

I salute your resolve. And I wish you the best of luck with your new project. Still sorry you had to go there, though.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock