Found an '87 GT...Would like some opinions by ZippyPontiac78
Started on: 07-25-2017 11:36 AM
Replies: 33 (598 views)
Last post by: ZippyPontiac78 on 08-01-2017 07:36 AM
ZippyPontiac78

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2017 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZippyPontiac78Send a Private Message to ZippyPontiac78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all! I'm new to the forum and have been tossing around the idea of getting a Fiero for a while now.

I stumbled on an 87 GT. In the pics posted by the seller it would need some interior clean up (i.e. new seat covers, carpet cleanes,etc.). One thing that strip me as odd was that there weren't any pics of the engine and the engine bay. Also, the add said that it was a 4 speed manual...thought the 5 speed was introduced in the late 86 models and was standard on 87 and 88 GTs...sooooo not sure if it was a conversion to a 4 speed from a 5 speed...any whoooo...

One other thing I noticed is the seller said that there was a "small oil leak that developed during a test drive"...are oil leaks common in the 2.8L Fieros?

I saw an article that listed out several things to look for when inspecting a Fiero...saw the reference to rust in the engine compartment and floor pans, looking at suspension...honestly there was so much on the list that I was soooo overwhelmed.

Any input on the 5 speed vs 4 speed, oil leak and any other big ticket items to look for?

Thanks for any input!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KMFDMFAN

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2017 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KMFDMFANSend a Private Message to KMFDMFANEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If its TRUELY an 87 it should have a 5 speed in it with either the 4 cyl or V6.

I'm always worried about a car add that doesn't have engine pics. Maybe the seller is just lazy or there is a level of subterfuge.

Oil leaks are common but can be as easy as a distributer o-ring or as bad as a rear main.

Ask for engine pics or go see the car in person. Fiero are not cars to be bought sight-unseen.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2017 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KMFDMFAN:

... go see the car in person. Fiero are not cars to be bought sight-unseen.

Agreed!

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2017 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It could have had a 4-speed converted in. I had a friend with a beautiful blue 87GT and he converted it to a 4-speed. I've also encountered at least 1 person who didn't know they had a 5-speed.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2017 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd say oil leaks are as common as pretty much any other 80s car.
But it could also be tranny lube, could even be coolant if the guy isn't real knowledgable.

PUll the trunk carpet way back on at least one side and look for rust. That's an easy spot to see it when it is usually hidden.
ZippyPontiac78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2017 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZippyPontiac78Send a Private Message to ZippyPontiac78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! It's about a 1.5 hr drive, so I may go take a look at it this weekend.

He's only asking 1200 for it...hoping it's not a complete basket case in the engine compartment.

[This message has been edited by ZippyPontiac78 (edited 07-25-2017).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2017 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I met someone the other day with an '87, with a 4-speed. I was surprised. His may have been changed, because the valve covers and intake had been painted. I should've checked the gear pattern on the console.

You can always ask for a pic, but make sure to ask for whatever pics you want the first time. I once asked for 3 pics, including the trunk corners. That pic they never sent, but they did send other pics. I repeated my original request. They said they wouldn't send ”endless requests for pics”. I passed on the car.
ZippyPontiac78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2017 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZippyPontiac78Send a Private Message to ZippyPontiac78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

I met someone the other day with an '87, with a 4-speed. I was surprised. His may have been changed, because the valve covers and intake had been painted. I should've checked the gear pattern on the console.

You can always ask for a pic, but make sure to ask for whatever pics you want the first time. I once asked for 3 pics, including the trunk corners. That pic they never sent, but they did send other pics. I repeated my original request. They said they wouldn't send ”endless requests for pics”. I passed on the car.

Yeah. It will be interesting to see if I get the pics I asked for. All in all, I suppose 1.5 hrs isn't too long of a drive to check out the car, but would prefer to have an idea of what's going on under the hood.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2017 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it is, indeed a 4-speed, look under the rear at where the axle shafts enter the transmission. If there isn't webbing radiating outward from around the axle seals, it will probably be an 84 transmission with 4:10 gearing. you will have a maximum speed of probably 70-75 with very high rpm. If it has webbing radiating out from around the axle seals, it would be an 85 or 86 transmission and will be the same as was used in those year V6 equipped cars.

Another way of identifying the 84 trans is that there are two castings on the case, to the lower right near the speedometer drive. They are where the cables were attached in the original FWD cars the transmission was left over from.

4-speed reverses are to the far left and forward. all 5-speed reverses are to the far right and back.
ZippyPontiac78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2017 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZippyPontiac78Send a Private Message to ZippyPontiac78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KMFDMFAN:

If its TRUELY an 87 it should have a 5 speed in it with either the 4 cyl or V6.

I'm always worried about a car add that doesn't have engine pics. Maybe the seller is just lazy or there is a level of subterfuge.

Oil leaks are common but can be as easy as a distributer o-ring or as bad as a rear main.

Ask for engine pics or go see the car in person. Fiero are not cars to be bought sight-unseen.

Pardon my ignorance, but how can I tell if it's an issue with either the distributor or the rear main?

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2017 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The distributor o-ring will usually cause a puddle of oil on the top of the engine/transmission, just below the distributor. The rear seal will only show up at the bottom of the engine where the transmission meets the engine.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2017 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya stick your finger down under the distributor and see if there is a wet fresh kind of oil in excess there. (As opposed to older baked on dust mixed stuff)
Make sure the engine isn't too hot.
ZippyPontiac78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2017 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZippyPontiac78Send a Private Message to ZippyPontiac78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Ya stick your finger down under the distributor and see if there is a wet fresh kind of oil in excess there. (As opposed to older baked on dust mixed stuff)
Make sure the engine isn't too hot.

And if i find excess fresh oil that means there's a leak.

As far as the engine temp is concerned, start the car and let it run for a while and watch the engine temp guage?
ZippyPontiac78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2017 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZippyPontiac78Send a Private Message to ZippyPontiac78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ZippyPontiac78

22 posts
Member since Jul 2017
Also, are the 2.8 v6s prone to any funk engine issues that would stick out if I take it for a test drive...indicated by any noises or vibe?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2017 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ZippyPontiac78:
As far as the engine temp is concerned, start the car and let it run for a while and watch the engine temp guage?

Yep, while there shouldnt really be wet oil anywhere outside the engine, many older cars will have slight leaks somewhere, and residue.

If you know anyone more experienced with cars, mechanic work etc, bring them along to help checkl the car out is always a good idea.

As for temp I just mean so you don't burn yourself putting your fingers on the engine, sorry I wasn't clear on that.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-26-2017).]

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2017 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And if i find excess fresh oil that means there's a leak.

Save your finger from getting oily or burned by a hot engine. Use a flashlight; if there's oil directly under the distributor housing the O ring seal is faulty.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2017 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Save your finger from getting oily or burned by a hot engine. Use a flashlight; if there's oil directly under the distributor housing the O ring seal is faulty.

Yeah if you can see it, it'd look wet.

Could even just be valvecovers leaking too who knows, if the owner just said small oil leak. If it was the front one you wouldnt be able to see it very easily. Id say isf a new one just "developed", and was noticeable on one drive, it probably isn't very "small".

Spektrum-87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2017 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spektrum-87GTSend a Private Message to Spektrum-87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An 87 should have a 5 speed.

My main concern being a Grand Rapids car would be rust.

Look underneath the car, in the engine bay, and under the front "hood."

I've never owned a Fiero with an oil leak, but it could be as simple as a valve cover gasket.
ZippyPontiac78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2017 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZippyPontiac78Send a Private Message to ZippyPontiac78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well. Going to call the guy to see if he still has the car.

Now I'm just looking for a more mechanically minded individual go with...shoud be interesting!

Thanks all for the input!!!
ZippyPontiac78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2017 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZippyPontiac78Send a Private Message to ZippyPontiac78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ZippyPontiac78

22 posts
Member since Jul 2017
Well...just got off the phone with the guy and he said the car is actually an 86...now the trans question makes sense. I just would have thought that the majority of folks would have swapped a 4 speed out for a 5 speed.

How is highway driving on the 4 speed VS THE 5 speed? I'm assuming high RPM?

Apparently the oil leak is right below the distributor. The slave cylinder has been replaced.

Sounds like he's got another fastback with a cracked hood but has a replacement hood...another v6 but he's not sure what year it is. Also has an 85 GT notch...sounds like he's got some interesting stuff! Well see what this weekend brings!

Keeping my fingers crossed...

[This message has been edited by ZippyPontiac78 (edited 07-27-2017).]

liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How is highway driving on the 4 speed VS THE 5 speed? I'm assuming high RPM?

As far as I know the rpm will be a little higher, but the 5spd has a pretty low 5th gear anyway which runs over 3k rpm at 70. Also the 4spd is supposed to be faster in acceleration. So its not a bad tranny unless you do a lot of long commutes and live in Texas where speed limit is 75-80 lol
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just would have thought that the majority of folks would have swapped a 4 speed out for a 5 speed.

Seriously? It's not like it's as easy as swapping in better dash speakers.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-28-2017).]

ZippyPontiac78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZippyPontiac78Send a Private Message to ZippyPontiac78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I'm looking at the block and trans housing where will the serial/casting numbers be loacated?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Above the starter on the area that the transmission bolts to.
ZippyPontiac78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZippyPontiac78Send a Private Message to ZippyPontiac78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I spoke with the guy over the phone and he said the oil drip he mentioned was under the distributor and near the valley of the intake...sounds like it would be the seal on the distributor o ring?
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I spoke with the guy over the phone and he said the oil drip he mentioned was under the distributor and near the valley of the intake...sounds like it would be the seal on the distributor o ring?

It does indeed. Sure, it might not be, but this kind of leak is so common and so messy its quite likely to be just that. Inexpensive and easy to fix.

ZippyPontiac78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZippyPontiac78Send a Private Message to ZippyPontiac78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

It does indeed. Sure, it might not be, but this kind of leak is so common and so messy its quite likely to be just that. Inexpensive and easy to fix.

Thanks for the reply!

I just got home from Ann Arbor...I opted out.

After I got there the guy said that there was a different fluid leak that that was "squirting" yesterday when he and a friend were driving it...believe he said it was trans fluid and mentioned that they had to push it the rest of the way up the driveway.

Pretty bummed...the search continues....
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And he couldn't bother to call you before the drive out? Good choice, opting out on that one.

Hang in there. You'll find a good one.
ZippyPontiac78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZippyPontiac78Send a Private Message to ZippyPontiac78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And he couldn't bother to call you before the drive out? Good choice, opting out on that one.

I actually called him before I drive out to See if he was still able to meet.

Ahh well, want meant to be.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2017 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There's others around:
http://claz.org/classifieds...cles/cars?q=fiero+GT
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2017 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, althoigh price and distance may be concerns.

I know who has a nice blue '87 GT with T-tops, but it isn't cheap.
PFF
System Bot
ZippyPontiac78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2017 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZippyPontiac78Send a Private Message to ZippyPontiac78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All, thanks for the encouragement...still a bit bummed after that drive yesterday.

I'm trying to keep my initial investment to a reasonable level, so I'm being budget conscious, knowing that it will require some work (i.e. seat covers, cleaning carpets, a little body work, and some minor mechanical work with some help from my brother). Something that is safe and that I can drive while I work on it.

I bought a Haynes manual figuring that would help me figure out how involved things could get.

I'm abeliever that some things happen in threes...first an oil leak, then a trans fluid leak...whats next. Lol

[This message has been edited by ZippyPontiac78 (edited 07-30-2017).]

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2017 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ZippyPontiac. where are you in GR? Zippy there are a lot of Fieros in West Michigan. Now I see were someone said he was skeptical of a GR Fiero. Well there is the possibility of the car coming from another area like 2 of my cars were from the south. There is also the fact that a lot of them are stored in the winter and not driven in the salt. Zippy are you aware of the 28th Street Metro Cruise? Well it is coming up the 26th of this month! And best of all we have a place to park and show off our great little car! Mr Leese of Harvey Automotive has been kind enough to again let is have a spot on 28th street just across from Berger Chevrolet to park our cars and view the cars cruisin.

Steve

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 07-31-2017).]

ZippyPontiac78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2017 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZippyPontiac78Send a Private Message to ZippyPontiac78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

ZippyPontiac. where are you in GR? Zippy there are a lot of Fieros in West Michigan. Now I see were someone said he was skeptical of a GR Fiero. Well there is the possibility of the car coming from another area like 2 of my cars were from the south. There is also the fact that a lot of them are stored in the winter and not driven in the salt. Zippy are you aware of the 28th Street Metro Cruise? Well it is coming up the 26th of this month! And best of all we have a place to park and show off our great little car! Mr Leese of Harvey Automotive has been kind enough to again let is have a spot on 28th street just across from Berger Chevrolet to park our cars and view the cars cruisin.

Steve

PM'd

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock