Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Best way to post photos from an android phone?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Best way to post photos from an android phone? by zmcdonal
Started on: 07-24-2017 02:36 PM
Replies: 8 (186 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 07-26-2017 12:19 AM
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2017 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are you guys using to post your photos from your mobile devices? I used to use photobucket but as well all know, they screwed us. I know PIP is prefered for hosting photos for this site (had issues with it in the past not working and wouldn't update on my computer and was annoyed by always having to resize my pictures) photobucket was just easier, however I almost NEVER post from my computer anymore and all my photos are on my phone, so it was always just easier to post from my phone.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Buck531

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2017 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Buck531Send a Private Message to Buck531Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
imgur. I also have a ton of pictures on photophucket and gave up and created an account on imgur. You can do the same thing as photo bucket but less ads and either make them public or private. Downloaded the app and poof.. done. Works pretty well.

------------------
03 Buick Regal. 13.0x @103
87 Fiero GT. L67, XP, Ported heads, SD headers, 3.2. 12.6@108 1.8 60'.

zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2017 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Buck531:

imgur. I also have a ton of pictures on photophucket and gave up and created an account on imgur. You can do the same thing as photo bucket but less ads and either make them public or private. Downloaded the app and poof.. done. Works pretty well.

I just downloaded imgur, and all I could get it to do was post a link to the picture, which then opened in imgur, am I doing it wrong? Is there a way to have it posted directly into the thread like photobucket did?

[This message has been edited by zmcdonal (edited 07-24-2017).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2017 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best way to post photos from an android phone?

Facebook.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2017 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I snap tons of pics of my build using my Android phone. I have Google Photos, and the app is set to automatically transfer my photos to the cloud as soon as the phone detects wi-fi (in otherwords...anywhere in my house). By the time I leave my garage, the pics are already on the cloud. When I sit down to post in my build thread, I always like to do that from my laptop since I tend to ramble on and it's easier to type with a full keyboard. Then it's just a matter of opening Google Photos on the laptop, selecting and downloading the pics I want to post (all this is quicker than the time it's taken to talk about it). I use MS Paint to resize the images (I like 800x600) then PIP to post. I've been doing this for so long that it only takes a few seconds for me to get an image onto PFF.
zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2017 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I know PIP works, it's just that I'm never on my computer anymore. Mainly my phone or posting from a computer at work, which made web based photo hosting really nice, not having to download and resize stuff on the computer.
seq

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2017 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

I snap tons of pics of my build using my Android phone. I have Google Photos, and the app is set to automatically transfer my photos to the cloud as soon as the phone detects wi-fi (in otherwords...anywhere in my house). By the time I leave my garage, the pics are already on the cloud. When I sit down to post in my build thread, I always like to do that from my laptop since I tend to ramble on and it's easier to type with a full keyboard. Then it's just a matter of opening Google Photos on the laptop, selecting and downloading the pics I want to post (all this is quicker than the time it's taken to talk about it). I use MS Paint to resize the images (I like 800x600) then PIP to post. I've been doing this for so long that it only takes a few seconds for me to get an image onto PFF.

I'm actually a fan of the google album sharing itself. Tag a few photos, click share, and you've got an album. You can decide if you want people you share the album with to be able add photos themselves (for example, at a Fiero meet we could have a combined album of everybody's photos and videos to sift through).

Nobody uses it the functionality though, and requires a google account to share/add (though not necessarily to view, depending on share settings).

About three years ago (July 2014) I was actually looking to document what PIP did and write a basic command-line uploader (My primary machine isn't Windows). My thought was maybe from there I could eventually expand that to a simple web interface. I emailed Cliff for permission before mucking about with it, but he said he was working on something else, but didn't have time to dedicate to it.

I took that as a suggestion not to proceed. Looking back at the message, he didn't explicitly say no. But he didn't say yes, either. I didn't want to start poking without explicit permission.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2017 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PIP is not special software but not posting more info here...
Because Cliff had issues when spammers and worse started big problems w/ the Image server.
So Don't publish PIP work around data for this reason.

I hate 3rd party img hosts but right now is best option for people can't/won't use PIP

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2017 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

As complicated as this all sounds I am a big fan of Google photos. For one it works across all platforms (android, apple, PC) and it's free (if you use very good resolution versus native). I uploaded every picture I had to Google. Took months, but now I have a legacy for future generations, (or for at least as long as Google exists, and it remains free).

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock