Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Need some advice for insulation on the inside of the trunk.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Need some advice for insulation on the inside of the trunk. by JohnWPB
Started on: 07-20-2017 01:41 PM
Replies: 20 (742 views)
Last post by: VanGTP5000 on 07-24-2017 11:58 PM
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2017 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen tons of posts for what type of insulation to replace the fuzzy stuff on the engine side firewall with. I need something for the inside of the trunk that's fairly thin and will insulate well.

Doing the engine swap to the 3800, the exhaust system runs really close to the trunk wall and it gets really hot in the trunk. Any suggestions on some type of insulation that will work? There's lots of thin types of insulation for flooring and such, but not made for this much heat.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ARKaiser

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2017 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dynamat makes a product called Dynaliner. A 1/2 inch thickness is suppose to give you a 150 degree difference. It comes in 1/8 (part 11101), 1/4 (11102) and 1/2 (11103) inch thicknesses. Each sheet covers 12 sq ft. I have not tried the stuff yet but I have heard great things about it.
VanGTP5000

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2017 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LizardSkin

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2017 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
West Coast Fiero sells a precut foil type firewall insulation. This type of product may also be available from Lowe's, Home Depot, hardware store, etc. I have used it on two cars with 3800 SC engines, a turbo 3.4. and a 383 V8 install. You may also want to consider insulating your trunk to minimize heat transferred to that area. It should take about 20 square feet after the cutting and fitting (unless you are a lot better at it than I am). I also installed a SS heat shield between the trunk and muffler but your exhaust system design will dictate what you need to do in that area.

Nelson
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2017 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suppose the stock trunk heat shield got tossed?
It did a lot to stop radiant heat on the trunk wall itself.

ps - hey... what happened to the pic in my sig?

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-20-2017).]

VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2017 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I suppose the stock trunk heat shield got tossed?
It did a lot to stop radiant heat on the trunk wall itself.

ps - hey... what happened to the pic in my sig?

Or you could do both...

Sprayed with LizardSkin

Dry

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2017 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the ideas. The Dynaliner looks like a good option. I am going to take the trunk carpet out, and insulate the engine side, and put the carpet back in.

I honestly never knew there was a heat shield meant for the trunk. My car definitely did not come with it still in place.

Ideally, I would like to have the heat shield, and then the insulation on the inside.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2017 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A shiney stock heat shield (if there is room) and a self adhesive foil behind the heat shield facing the engine on the engine side of trunk wall will do wonders to keep trunk temps down. Keep an air space between heat shield and trunk wall.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 07-21-2017).]

Buck531

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2017 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Buck531Send a Private Message to Buck531Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cut the trunk out in mine for the 3800 swap. Took the heat shield like someone did above, double wrapped it in header wrap with some self tapping screws. Then I took the bottom of the trunk I cut out and flattened it. Then bought some thermo tec stuff from jegs: http://www.jegs.com/p/Therm...rier/750869/10002/-1 and put it on the bottom of that and the top.

Then I ended up getting the "peel and seal" roofing material stuff from Lowes and lining everything inside. Then cut the stock carpet and put it in to fit.

I just took a 5 hour trip to Detroit in 85 degree weather, stop and go traffic and the temps never got above 115* in there.

I'm actually able to fit two chairs, a small tool bag and a few other things in there without having it catch fire .

If anyone's interested I can take some pictures tonight when I get home.

------------------
03 Buick Regal. 13.0x @103
87 Fiero GT. L67, XP, Ported heads, SD headers, 3.2. 12.6@108 1.8 60'.

darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2017 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used MightyMatt 1/4" insulation, Foil on both sides, found on Ebay. Does a great job. I sandwiched mine between the stock heat shield and the outside of the trunk- better to keep the heat out of the trunk, rather than trying to insulate on the inside- once the heat is through the trunk skin it will stay there no matter what. For this product, there was very litle diference between their 1/4" version and 1/2" - so I went with the 1/4". Also used on on the firewall side, and also used it to wrap some of the wiring harness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-vmJ_lU33M

Mighty Matt Insulation

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLO...AOSwD0lUa5Rz&vxp=mtr

------------------
SCREW PHOTOBUCKET. All my pictures are now available at https://www.flickr.com/photos/156871275@N07/albums
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e, Vue Power Steering.

[This message has been edited by darbysan (edited 07-21-2017).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2017 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That MightyMat video is impressive. The 1/4" seems to be exactly what I need. Thanks for the links and info everyone!

PFF
System Bot
Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2017 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used this on the interior cabin, and this on the interior of the engine bay(firewall+trunkwall) and used it on the inside of the trunk. Noise was significantly reduced in the cabin, and the trunk didn't get above 85 degrees on an 8 hour trip. It also fit perfectly underneath the stock heat shields and didn't interfere with the exhaust. Only downside was that when a mechanic used heat to get a stuck bolt out of the exhaust, some of the insulation melted off(although he effectively left a propane torch on it..).

For the price, this stuff is incredible.

[This message has been edited by Threedog (edited 07-21-2017).]

VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2017 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Thanks for all the ideas. The Dynaliner looks like a good option. I am going to take the trunk carpet out, and insulate the engine side, and put the carpet back in.

I honestly never knew there was a heat shield meant for the trunk. My car definitely did not come with it still in place.

Ideally, I would like to have the heat shield, and then the insulation on the inside.

I mounted mine on the inside but sandwiched a piece of heat insulating material between it and the trunk wall which was also treated with Lizard Skin CI (Ceramic Insulation) and then put the stock carpet back in.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2017 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look at the Second Skin Audio site and check out the Damplifier Pro which is what I used on several different cars with good results. Their Heatwave Pro also looks good but I have not used any as of this date.

http://store.secondskinaudio.com/

Nelson
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2017 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With my full 3800SC exhaust system, I retained the heat shield but the trunk temps were still getting pretty hot. It was detrimental when I carried a small ice cooler in there. One day at the local dollar store I saw a windshield sun shield. It was made from a foil covered heat insulating material. I lifted the carpet on the trunk side and cut the windshield sun shield to size with a scissors with an opening for the light . Placed the shield against the trunk wall (facing the engine) and put the trunk carpet back. Trunk is now remarkably cooler. Total cost $1 and ten minutes of work.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-22-2017).]

smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2017 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What olejoe said.. head sheild and reflective on the outside of the trunk. I also ended up wrapping my muffler with a muffler wrap heat shield as well.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2017 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VanGTP5000:

I mounted mine on the inside but sandwiched a piece of heat insulating material between it and the trunk wall which was also treated with Lizard Skin CI (Ceramic Insulation) and then put the stock carpet back in.

In addition I also Titanium wrapped my Crossover

And my Muffler

Some people choose to go with this instead of Titanium

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2017 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, enough already!

I had no clue there were so many options!. Thanks for all the advice! It is much appreciated.

I also titanium wrapped my down pipe, as well as the actual muffler. The wrapped muffler servers 2 purposes. One, help with heat in the engine bay, two, reduce the drone of the muffler while cruising on the highway.

ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2017 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of options out there, some better than others. I recommend Hushmat, as it is a thermal blocker as well as sound deadener. Most foil lined mats such as Dynamat are for sound reducing only, FYI.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2017 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

I also titanium wrapped my down pipe, as well as the actual muffler. The wrapped muffler servers 2 purposes.
One, help with heat in the engine bay, two, reduce the drone of the muffler while cruising on the highway.

Did you drive the car before wrapping the muffler?
How much did it reduce drone?
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2017 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also Titanium wrapped my exhaust manifolds to reduce heat as well...

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock