Thanks Dave! by vitog44
Started on: 07-16-2017 05:29 PM
Replies: 8 (420 views)
Last post by: vitog44 on 07-24-2017 09:36 PM
vitog44

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2017 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vitog44Send a Private Message to vitog44Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the bad experience of driving home from the annual Fiero outing with a stuck closed thermostat on a newly 3.4 swap. Being on a busy stretch of a Las Vegas highways, which warrants great attention from aggressive drivers cutting you off, riding on your tail, I was not looking at the temp gauge.
actually the temp gauge light never went on, even though I had replaced the temp gauge sensor. By the time I got off the highway, the car was way in the red. End result, got off , lost most of my coolant at the intersection and car died. I was able to add antifreeze and drive it home, not far from there. However, there was a constant ticking in the upper part of the engine. Took it to Dave at the Las Vegas Fiero Club. The overheating blew the head gasket and destroyed one of the pistons and cylinder. Ended up putting another 3.4 engine. Dave has been working on the car and has done a fantastic job. Thanks to him, I can soon have my GT t-top on the road again. I have to say that Dave is quite an expert on Fieros. He is responsible, honest and dependable for keeping my two Fieros in excellent mechanical condition. I've had Fieros for over 30 years and I've done a lot of the work myself. Glad to have moved to Vegas where Dave and V8 Archie are short distance away.
Thanks Dave!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lunatic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2017 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Despite your automotive issues, this thread is full of awesome. That's what we're here to do, help each other out. Right?
vitog44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2017 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vitog44Send a Private Message to vitog44Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For sure.
Fiero Vampire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2017 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea last time I was at the Fiero Club, picking up some sunroof parts from Dave (sardonyx247), I saw your old engine, Ouch! I was surprised how much damage there was. Glad Dave is getting you back up and running.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-20-2017 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This just shows that not all of our online personas are the same as the real World. The World that we actually live in.

Thanks for sharing your story.
bjm362

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2017 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjm362Send a Private Message to bjm362Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vitog44:

I had the bad experience of driving home from the annual Fiero outing with a stuck closed thermostat on a newly 3.4 swap. Being on a busy stretch of a Las Vegas highways, which warrants great attention from aggressive drivers cutting you off, riding on your tail, I was not looking at the temp gauge.
actually the temp gauge light never went on, even though I had replaced the temp gauge sensor. By the time I got off the highway, the car was way in the red. End result, got off , lost most of my coolant at the intersection and car died. I was able to add antifreeze and drive it home, not far from there. However, there was a constant ticking in the upper part of the engine. Took it to Dave at the Las Vegas Fiero Club. The overheating blew the head gasket and destroyed one of the pistons and cylinder. Ended up putting another 3.4 engine. Dave has been working on the car and has done a fantastic job. Thanks to him, I can soon have my GT t-top on the road again. I have to say that Dave is quite an expert on Fieros. He is responsible, honest and dependable for keeping my two Fieros in excellent mechanical condition. I've had Fieros for over 30 years and I've done a lot of the work myself. Glad to have moved to Vegas where Dave and V8 Archie are short distance away.
Thanks Dave!

Any chance of getting some pics posted, or links to ones that already are. I am new around here and your Fiero is pretty close to what I am thinking I want to do.
Ideally I want an 88 GT, but may wind up settling for an 86 or 87. I also intend to spend a little time with the factory engine intact before doing a swap. I had considered either an LTG or an LF4, but budget projections are saying a 3.4 is a lot more likely....
Pics under the hood as well would be especially appreciated...

------------------
To realize a dream, one must first dream it!

Fiero Vampire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2017 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bjm362:

Any chance of getting some pics posted, or links to ones that already are. I am new around here and your Fiero is pretty close to what I am thinking I want to do.
Ideally I want an 88 GT, but may wind up settling for an 86 or 87. I also intend to spend a little time with the factory engine intact before doing a swap. I had considered either an LTG or an LF4, but budget projections are saying a 3.4 is a lot more likely....
Pics under the hood as well would be especially appreciated...

There are a lot of threads out there but since we're talking about Dave, he actually has a thread on doing the 3.4 swap here.

vitog44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2017 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vitog44Send a Private Message to vitog44Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I picked up my T-top Fiero today at Las Vegas Fiero Club shop. I have to say, Dave did a fantastic job on replacing the engine. He went beyond expectations. He's one of a kind. I applaud his deep knowledge and mechanical expertise. It sounds and runs great...better than the first swap.
All too often I’ve seen members lash unkind attacks in this forum. Perhaps, we should keep in mind that we share a common cause. Let’s keep this forum going in the right direction.
Thanks Dave for all you do to keep Fieros on the road.
vitog44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2017 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vitog44Send a Private Message to vitog44Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

vitog44

257 posts
Member since May 2007
Here are some pictures of the engine bay

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay