Something doesn't seem right by wgpierce
Started on: 06-21-2017 05:48 AM
Replies: 25 (685 views)
Last post by: USMUCL on 06-26-2017 06:05 AM
wgpierce

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I get there are people out there with collections, and sometimes sell their cars. These two cars posted at almost the same time, with similar descriptions look a little suspect to me. For instance, why do you need to replace so many things on such a low mile car? And I don't know 88s that well, but the yellow one looks like it's been repainted underneath, as the fuel tank looks to be the same black.

What do you think?

https://newyork.craigslist..../cto/6183553908.html

https://newyork.craigslist..../cto/6183551921.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It says "All work preformed..." Maybe the misspelling is intentional?

Where is that "Aliens!!!" guy when we need him!
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I'd like to have the Posrche RS Spyder (type 9R6) in the backgound.....
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
maybe all the work was done because they never got driven?

------------------
Pat Jones

USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reference the work performed versus the low mileage . . . based on my experience with a low mileage car, there is nothing in the descriptions that raises eyebrows.

Some of the items listed are just "upgrades" that an enthusiast would do, and others routinely go bad from the car sitting. I have probably done as much or more to my car, and I ain't done

And the underside for both cars looks OUTSTANDING. Mine doesn't look near that nice (it was undercoated years ago, maybe decades). Someone has gone to great lengths to clean them up.

[This message has been edited by USMUCL (edited 06-21-2017).]

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As for the underneath shots, its amazing what flat black spray paint and new nuts/bolts, brackets and some masking can do. They are low milage cars, so cleaning up the bottom is easy, and again, some new parts (brake lines, off shore axles, rotors/pads) makes one think that its cleaner that it really is. Just imagine getting your car up on that lift, spend a few weeks cleaning, removing, painting and replacing some of the less expensive parts could do for any of our cars.

But they do look nice.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If they were trying to pass them as "all original", they will hopefully mention the repaint of the undercarriage etc, to any potential buyer.
vs Restored

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-21-2017).]

alcazar88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alcazar88Send a Private Message to alcazar88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They appear to be nice cars, cleaned up and priced right. That is what doesn't seem right to me as it rarely happens that way, usually way overpriced and/or not maintained.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do not see anything really out of the ordinary in either listing.

All the fluids is normal, and other items mentioned have gaskets that can dry out. As for the rotors, being 30 years old, I would imagine they were completely brown with surface rust. If I was going to put cars up that nice for sale, I would replace the rotors with nice new shiny ones as well.....

Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would be nice to know the condition of the clutch and clutch assembly, since that's at least a $1000 job right there.
Considering how much I've spent on getting my 86 repaired and upgraded, I think a fix-free Fiero is probably a good buy at 14,000.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For me, the value of a low mileage car is the greatest chance of being stock and original. The originality is what increases the value.

These cars are low miles and from California (implying low rust), but have had a lot of cheap/non-stock parts installed and the painting of the underbody just makes me cringe (as do the abs rings on the CV housings)... They now are good drivers and the paint and interior make them above average value, but no where near their price point.

Before I would consider either, I would want to see some before pics to see why they thought they had to do all the things they did...
PFF
System Bot
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The main things that strike me as odd are the under car paint, the suspension bits replaced, and the certain gaskets replaced. Although for the gaskets maybe that's due to painting the intake. Again, painting that raises alarms for me too.

I guess why would you upgrade an all original low mile car for sale? I wouldn't buy either if I was looking for original for that exact reason.

Anyway I'm really looking for a low mile original aero notchback 2.8 auto with ALL options so I can have something to drive for a while then modify Its interesting, pretty tough to find. So far I've only found one with everything, but it was rough.
USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I think the price is very reasonable for low mileage 88s in the condition, with those upgrades/maintenance items. The yellow one is particularly impressive, though I wouldn't want an automatic. The red one, though a manual trans, doesn't appear to have as much love put into it.

I realize the appeal of "all original." But, at 30 years old, an "all original" car is fine if you plan to bury it under a cover in a storage unit. But, if you want to occasionally drive it, you will need to change out some stuff. Let's face it, these cars weren't reliable when new, more less now.

WGPierce -- you need to find that aero notchback in Australia, or looking to ship from the US?
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2017 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It will not be found here, that's for sure.

Your's would have been nice but it's a manual and I think missing a couple options
USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2017 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wgpierce:

It will not be found here, that's for sure.

Your's would have been nice but it's a manual and I think missing a couple options

I'm not selling, LOL, but I have seen several in the U.S. recently, so I'll PM you some links.

And I think I have every option for my year (1986) except automatic. Unless leather was available -- I don't think it was yet, but I might be wrong.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2017 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USMUCL:
(snip)
Let's face it, these cars weren't reliable when new, more less now.
(snip)

I disagree.
I've daily driven Fieros since the 90's and have had very few problems in the 400k miles and various different Fieros.

Leather was available in 86, my SE has it.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2017 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm with olejoedad Fieros have been reliable for me.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2017 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I realize the appeal of "all original." But, at 30 years old, an "all original" car is fine if you plan to bury it under a cover in a storage unit. But, if you want to occasionally drive it, you will need to change out some stuff.

I would like to believe a car can still be "all original" even though I have installed new tires, gaskets, brake hoses and such to keep it reliable after thirty years.

wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2017 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not selling, LOL, but I have seen several in the U.S. recently, so I'll PM you some links.

And I think I have every option for my year (1986) except automatic. Unless leather was available -- I don't think it was yet, but I might be wrong.

Yes looking at the pics you posted a while back it looks like you have most. Do you have the upgrade stereo, rear defrost and subwoofer/perf sound? These are the important "all the options"

AD3 Window, hinged roof (Sunroof)
AU3 Power door locks
A31 Window, electric control
A90 Deck lid release, remote control, electric
C49 Defogger, rear window, electric
C60 Air conditioner, front, manual controls
DG7 Mirror, RH and LH remote control, electric
K34 Cruise control, electric
L44 Engine, 2.8L V6 (High Output)
MD9 3-speed automatic transmission (THM125C)
N33 Steering column, tilt type
TR9 Lamp group, courtesy consists of; U25 Rear compartment lamp, U29 Instrument panel, courtesy
UQ6 Speaker, sub woofer (86-88)
UT4 ETR AM stereo/FM stereo w/clock, auto reverse, seek & scan, EQ & touch control (85-87)
or
UX1 ETR AM/FM stereo w/clock, cass, auto rev, search, replay, seek & scan, EQ, clock (85-88)
VK3 License plate, front mounting package
W69 SE option "Special Edition" (84-87)

Note there's no luggage rack option listed there, must have wing

[This message has been edited by wgpierce (edited 06-22-2017).]

USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2017 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes looking at the pics you posted a while back it looks like you have most. Do you have the upgrade stereo, rear defrost and subwoofer/perf sound? These are the important "all the options"

AD3 Window, hinged roof (Sunroof)
AU3 Power door locks
A31 Window, electric control
A90 Deck lid release, remote control, electric
C49 Defogger, rear window, electric
C60 Air conditioner, front, manual controls
DG7 Mirror, RH and LH remote control, electric
K34 Cruise control, electric
L44 Engine, 2.8L V6 (High Output)
MD9 3-speed automatic transmission (THM125C)
N33 Steering column, tilt type
TR9 Lamp group, courtesy consists of; U25 Rear compartment lamp, U29 Instrument panel, courtesy
UQ6 Speaker, sub woofer (86-88)
UT4 ETR AM stereo/FM stereo w/clock, auto reverse, seek & scan, EQ & touch control (85-87)
or
UX1 ETR AM/FM stereo w/clock, cass, auto rev, search, replay, seek & scan, EQ, clock (85-88)
VK3 License plate, front mounting package
W69 SE option "Special Edition" (84-87)

Note there's no luggage rack option listed there, must have wing

Yep, mine has everything you list but the automatic, including the upgraded stereo, sub, and defrost. Has the wing, not the luggage rack. You don't list leather above, but OLEJOEDAD says it was an option (I don't have it).

Since we've hijacked your own thread . . . join the Facebook group, "The Fiero Club." Folks are always selling on there. There are a bunch of Fiero groups on Facebook, but I just saw a red 86SE that might fit your requirements in that group for $4500 OBO. It was what I was thinking about when I originally asked you if you were going to import or if you were hoping to find one Down Under.

wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2017 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty much in all those groups, I didn't see any 86 SEs like what you mention? I did a search on the groups I'm in too, but don't see it.

My ideal notchie would be an 87 with Ttops, but that is very unlikely to come up with all those options. And low mileage

PFF
System Bot
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2017 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This ones kinda interesting, but too many miles and missing a couple options.

https://chicago.craigslist..../cto/6155503176.html

Also interesting but no power mirrors and that darn luggage rack
https://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/6125474680.html
Curtisk1060

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2017 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Curtisk1060Send a Private Message to Curtisk1060Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks to me like these cars are part of some type of a collection based on all the other cars located in the pictures on lifts. It would be worth a trip to verify them but also it appears to me the owner knows how and what typically needs changing on them over time. such as tires, brake lines, etc. I agree w/ Guru the axels should not have needed replaced, and with ABS rings. This could have been a mechanic who didn't know that originals are better than new off the shelf ones from a part store, if so, only the boots should have been replaced as they may have shown some aging or cracking. Other than that, you can tell by the flawless taillights and side windows these cars are extremely close to "original" and the prices are what I would consider fair for the quality.

[This message has been edited by Curtisk1060 (edited 06-24-2017).]

USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2017 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Curtisk1060:

Looks to me like these cars are part of some type of a collection based on all the other cars located in the pictures on lifts. It would be worth a trip to verify them but also it appears to me the owner knows how and what typically needs changing on them over time. such as tires, brake lines, etc. I agree w/ Guru the axels should not have needed replaced, and with ABS rings. This could have been a mechanic who didn't know that originals are better than new off the shelf ones from a part store, if so, only the boots should have been replaced as they may have shown some aging or cracking. Other than that, you can tell by the flawless taillights and side windows these cars are extremely close to "original" and the prices are what I would consider fair for the quality.

I'm in the process of replacing one of my axles now in a 10k car -- sitting so much has apparently caused pitting that won't allow the axle seal to do its job completely. They are inexpensive
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2017 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The yellow one with axles replaced is an auto. No idea if that makes a difference, but I didn't have any seal problems on mine.

Awe heck, who am I kidding. I want them both. I want them all
USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2017 06:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The yellow one with axles replaced is an auto. No idea if that makes a difference, but I didn't have any seal problems on mine.

Awe heck, who am I kidding. I want them both. I want them all

No, auto vs manual doesn't make a difference - it's just luck of the draw. Climate probably plays a big part. I doubt that mine was driven in the winter (by the looks of it), but the humidity and such in the area it was stored could have contributed to the seals and/or axle pitting. Who knows.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock