What a pain in the butt! by MayhemWinters
Started on: 06-20-2017 09:17 PM
Replies: 6 (428 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 06-25-2017 03:23 AM
MayhemWinters

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2017 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MayhemWintersSend a Private Message to MayhemWintersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If post too long to read whole thing just read this question:

How do you remove the crank pulley and alternator pulley?

-----------------------------------------

How come everytime I work on the Fiero it never seems to go smoothly.
It always takes longer and I always seem to run into some problem with it and end up not accomplishing what I wanted to that day and the disappointed walk back in to the house at the end of the day, while the Fiero sits unfinished and in some cases undrivable. Not to mention the countless injurys. Something always gets smashed or I end up bleeding.

But, after being frustrated at times to the point of considering selling it, I sit back and think of my Fiero and how much it is a member of the family and I could never part with it.

From the first day I saw him (Oliver) sitting on the back of a tow truck battered and bruised, I new in that moment I had found a long lost member of the family.

So anyway, I got a power pulley kit from Rodney to eliminate belt slipping. Took wheel off etc...loosen alternator bolt and removed old belt. Having problems with the two bolts on the bracket where the new tensioner will go, can't get them loose, sprayed with PB Blaster so they can soak in that for now.

**But the bigger issue is how to remove crank pulley and alternator pulley? **

Haven't attempted alternator pulley yet, but there doesn't seem to be enough room to get a socket on it and it spins, so I need to find a way to hold it steady for removal. And the crank pulley rotates while trying to loosen bolt. And I guess I'll need a puller to get crank pulley off after bolts are finally loose? I don't have much $$ left for the month, or access to a lot of tools so I'll have to figure something out.

Tryed wedging in a piece of wood to hold crank still while loosening bolt but it moved anyway. Saw somewhere about putting a socket on it and braceing wrench and cranking motor just a little to loosen bolt (I did NOT attempt this) don't know if that's a good idea or not. Or attaching a bar to the pulley and then to something stationary that won't rotate.

Rodneys directions are good and thorough for installing the belt tensioner but they don't mention how to remove and replace the crank and alternator pulleys. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

[This message has been edited by MayhemWinters (edited 06-20-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2017 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To stop the crank from rotating, I've used vicegrips on the edge of the flywheel/starter gear (with the dust cover on the bottom removed). Then remove the main bolt in the center, as well as the four smaller bolts which hold the pulley to the balancer.

I've only been able to get the alternator pulley nut off with an impact gun.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-20-2017).]

wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2017 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my Lt1 Camaro there was a tool you put int he starter well to hold the flywheel so you could get the crank pulley bolt off. Is there something out there like that for the Fiero?

This thread relates to 3.8s in the archive:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050818-2-059797.html

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put the car in gear w the ebrake on and use a big ol piece o pipe on the ratchet for leverage. or borrow an impact gun. Might be easier to pull the alternator to get the pulley off. Good luck

shem
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shemdogg:

Put the car in gear w the ebrake on and use a big ol piece o pipe on the ratchet for leverage...

Are you assuming it's not an automatic?

MayhemWinters

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2017 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MayhemWintersSend a Private Message to MayhemWintersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Are you assuming it's not an automatic?

It's a manual, but the ebrake needs new cables and isn't hooked up.

The Plan for Monday:

-Remove 2 bracket bolts and install the belt tensioner. May need to hit it with more PB Blaster to loosen bolts.

-Remove alternator and change pulley.

-Remove dust cover and use vicegrips on edge of the flywheel/starter gear to stop crank pulley from rotating so it can be removed.
Any trick here, or is it as straight forward as it sounds?

-Install new crank pulley, put alternator back on, route new belt.

-Put tire back on etc...and go for a drive without a slipping, pig squealing belt!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2017 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MayhemWinters:

-Remove dust cover and use vicegrips on edge of the flywheel/starter gear to stop crank pulley from rotating so it can be removed.
Any trick here, or is it as straight forward as it sounds?

No tricks required. I just make sure the vicegrips are really tight, and I try to not ding up any teeth on the ring gear. Turn the crank bolt so that the vicegrips gently make contact with the bellhousing... and then give 'er!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock