was able to finish up the outside body work for the outside and get it into primer. This is really the first opportunity to really see all the angles and curves. It has turned out better than expected. I will start the fiberglass work on the inside next.
[This message has been edited by AWautoworks (edited 08-10-2017).]
I was able to do a test fit on my car to check clearances. There will have to be about a one inch notch out of the frunk but other than that everything clears quite nice.
Now that the hood is done its on to the mods to the rear. Our plan is to do a center exhaust system on a coupe bumper, shave the existing tail pipe holes and move the plate up to the tail lamp panel. The lights will have to be a custom glass panel with some built in leds. Here is a sketch of our concept. My hope is that this turns out as good as it looks in the sketch.
Ok so its been awhile and not much progress has been made but I do want to drop a couple things here on the page. Thanks to Terry Ray on the facebook page our vision on the rear is now starting to take shape. This is not an exact match but pretty close. The hips on the rear of his vision aren't quite what we have but other than that is a pretty good vision of where we are headed with this build.
I also want to drop a little turbo noise here in the forum as well. Chris sent me this video of the car. It still needs some tuning but the sound is epic. Hope you enjoy Click me for Turbo noise !!!!!!
Its been a while and not a lot of progress has been made, but I have receive the car back to my shop and I am able to hang the panels for proper fit to check gaps and finish body work. I was able to mount the quarter panel's rear bumper and lamps. once complete I will be able to do the finish body work before paint.
The car still needs lowered down an inch and the wheel and tires are just for mock up purposes. I will be finishing up the spoiler to build it into the quarter and curve it down once I finish aligning the body. Its a slow process but it always pays off in the end
The next step is to widen the fenders, my goal is to widen them at least an inch and a half. Here is the profile I started with.
My next step was to cut out the "flare" out of an existing fender. I had to cut around all of the perimeter and cut the back at the molding line to allow for the proper flex of the plastic. I lined up the wheel well and inserted temporary spacers, heated up the outside flare and set it over the top of the old fender. I have what I call Klincos or temporary rivets to hold it into place
I did have to trim the front bumper mount and re-attached it in a slightly different position as far as the lower I ended up cutting out a fender scoop just to make it easier to arch to the shape I needed.
Once I was able to ensure proper fitment It was time to remove the flare, prep for bonding and feather out the edges for smoother transition for body work. I prepped with a 50 grit rolac disc down to bare plastic to ensure a good bond between the two materials. I used a 2 part 3m epoxy 8223. It is a flexible panel bond and used a plastic prep before the panel bond was applied. Once bonded I placed my temporary rivets back into pace to keep pressure on the bonded area. Once dry overnight I was able to remove my rivets and my temporary spacers. I finished of the outer body work and filled the cavity with a pillar foam to keep vibration down.
We will be making fine tune adjustments with the wheels and tires and suspension to fit just a little bit better. now on to the rocker moldings and the passenger side fender.
Made some progress today on the passenger side fender. same process as above with the driver side
I also made some good progress back on the Driver side with fitment of the rocker panel. I had to make 4 different cuts to allow for the bend needed to follow the flaring of the fender and quarter panel. I still need to do fine tune things on the front side. Once they are fitting good I will hot staple the rockers and then I will finish them out to fix the cuts made.
I will update with a step by step on the rockers once complete.
SPOILER ALERT!!!! I have almost finished up with the spoiler tips. Its been a bit of a process. in the building of the tips, trying to get a good looking arch that goes with the body of the car and arch of the taillamp pocket.
I do have some finish work to do before primer but that's on step closer to completion
everything has been primed and assembly is almost complete. I have to adjust some gaps and finish moldings and mirrors. I am letting it sit in primer for a few weeks or so to allow all the body work to finish shrinking if there is any. The car will be put back on a trailer and headed to SCHWA Motorsports for the correct wheels and suspension, and tuning. Everything is looking better than expected. There are some pin holes and such that will be addressed before paint.
Thanks. We are all excited to see how it looks with some color. I would honestly say we achieved our goal of making the car look as close to stock as possible while achieving a total of 4 inches wider than stock stance.