Ocelot Exhaust Install Fiero Store by herbiejonesiv
Started on: 06-08-2017 04:08 PM
Replies: 23 (1235 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 06-15-2017 06:59 PM
herbiejonesiv

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2017 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for herbiejonesivSend a Private Message to herbiejonesivEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and had a few questions regarding the ocelot exhaust from the fiero store.

My fater has an 86 GT that I'm looking to get an exhaust for. Is there any difference between the two ocelot exhausts besides price and material?

Secondly is there any obstacles when installing the system? I'm looking to do this towards the end of the summer as a surprise.

Thanks for the help!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2017 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool idea

Well have you done car exhaust work at all? Doing it yourself?
It connects to the catalytic converter in the one end, and basically hangs with multiple hangers, so its kind of straight forward. You may want to inspect the condition of the cat pipe where it will connect.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2017 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have installed at least two different Ocelot systems. All I can speak about, from experience, is the "non-stainless" system.
I don't really see any benefit to buying the stainless sysem. Neither of mine ever rusted. But then I *do* live in the south.
But yeah... probably the simplest aftermarket Fiero system. Sounds just like stock, only just a little bit louder. I like it.

Buy new hangers for the rear corners.

If you're in a location that doesn't require emissions, The Fiero Store also sells a "test pipe" that will bolt to the Y-pipe, and will interface perfectly with the Ocelot system.
They also sell a replacement cat.

Only said all that because it might be "fun" connecting the Ocelot system to the output of the old cat. You may be able to clamp it, but it will likely be leaky.

Welcome to our obsession,

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-08-2017).]

fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2017 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the ocelot system on my 88 formula and it functions and sounds just great. It's been on the car 17 years and at this point is somewhat rusty. I did heavily spray the entire system with a stainless steel coating to prevent any rusting, but with this length of time it is somewhat tarnished. I live in Georgia now, but for 14 of these years I and the car resided in New Jersey. Considering the area you live in, I would recommend spending the extra money for the stainless system. Winters get very bad up north and if they salt the roads in your area, you know the damage that can do. Plus it's your dad's car; he's worth it.
herbiejonesiv

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2017 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for herbiejonesivSend a Private Message to herbiejonesivEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gotcha... I've been into cars for a number of years and could rattle off how to do any sort of modification but I've never done anything on my own, so I think this would be a good place to start.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2017 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofrenzy:

I did heavily spray the entire system with a stainless steel coating to prevent any rusting,

What stuff is that?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2017 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
herbiejonesiv

Non stainless exhaust can rot fast when driving in places w/ high use of road salt in Winter and that where he is.
In summer the roads are so polluted w/ salt that plants only live near oceans etc often live along many NY roads even in Binghamton area.
Only Driving in Summer the car can still have rust problems from winter salt.

(Then add Lake Erie, Lake Ontario and some others are salt water. Even had a wet salt mine in/near Solvay producing brine for a defunct chemical plant.)

OE exhaust is a type of SS but rust a little in many areas. 30+ years in Upstate NY can rust out along w/ rest of car's frame. GM anti-rust oxide finish for the frame and other parts can/does "wear out" then rust can be anywhere often hidden by Fiero body, inner fenders, etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 06-09-2017).]

fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2017 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the rust prevenative spray coating I'm speaking of is called "Steel It". It comes in both regular and hi-temp formulas. I used the hi-temp one. I used the same product on my Thunderbirds aftermarket dual exhaust system with the same excellent results. This car I bought about 4 years ago and the system still looks great, mostly because of this product. I did spray two cans worth of the stuff applying many coats. Check and see if theres a web site for the product. it can be obtained thru the McMaster-Carr Co. catalog.
1Packrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2017 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1PackratSend a Private Message to 1PackratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed the non-stainless about a year ago. The one thing I found. When moving over the exhaust tips from the original assembly which I had replaced before with STS tips. The pipe exiting on the right side was not angled correctly. It was about 1/2 inch to low and angled down on the right compared to the original assembly. Heating the pipe at the bend with a torch allowed bending it into place.

The sound of this exhaust is great. Not too loud as to drone inside the car and sounds really good at idle and at around 2000 rpm. My buddy just installed a Walker on his and it is a little louder than mine and does not have the same tone.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2017 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
(snip)
(Then add Lake Erie, Lake Ontario and some others are salt water.
(snip)

Uh, no.
The Great Lakes are freshwater......

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2017 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:
Uh, no.
The Great Lakes are freshwater......
Yup... I messed up. Was thinking Salmon because just bought some and while grow mostly in the ocean had a brain fart and forgot "runs" in fresh water.
(And that's even fishing in Salmon River right below the damn in NY...)
PFF
System Bot
USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2017 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
If you're in a location that doesn't require emissions, The Fiero Store also sells a "test pipe" that will bolt to the Y-pipe, and will interface perfectly with the Ocelot system.

Since removing the cat really doesn't give any noticeable increase in power to an otherwise stock car, the only benefit would be decreased cost and less work. I suppose the trade-off is smell? How much do these cars stick with the cat removed?

[This message has been edited by USMUCL (edited 06-12-2017).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2017 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mmmmm, Great Lakes Salmon............
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2017 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USMUCL:

Since removing the cat really doesn't give any noticeable increase in power to an otherwise stock car, the only benefit would be decreased cost and less work. I suppose the trade-off is smell? How much do these cars stick with the cat removed?

They stink.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2017 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I suppose the trade-off is smell?

It's more than just "smell". It's toxic fumes.

Anyone who's ever had trouble with their lungs and/or breathing appreciates the value of clean breathable air.
USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2017 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good thing no one has ever manufacturered a car without a cat converter.

Wait. What?
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2017 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good thing no one has ever manufacturered a car without a cat converter.

Wait. What?

Umm...not a good road to travel...
USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2017 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh please. Lighten up, Francis.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2017 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have been known to run Fieros with and without cats. Right now I have one of each.
I don't really like being behind one without a cat, especially if it's not tuned right. The additives in gas, these days, are really obnoxious. Smell a lot worse than the old leaded gas fumes that I used to breathe, back in the day.

How's that for a non-answer?

USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2017 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have been known to run Fieros with and without cats. Right now I have one of each.
I don't really like being behind one without a cat, especially if it's not tuned right. The additives in gas, these days, are really obnoxious. Smell a lot worse than the old leaded gas fumes that I used to breathe, back in the day.

I think that is a fair answer, thank you.

jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2017 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I posted previously about this cat or no cat issue. I made my own decision and removed it. the smell is no worse than a motor bike, which don't have true cats either. the sound that is produced without the cat is amazing! sounds just like my neighbors 911 targa! only time the fumes are noxious is if I'm standing directly behind it while its running for a good 5 minutes. I don't care about the others behind me while driving, they can put their window up!
PFF
System Bot
Drewbdo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2017 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrewbdoSend a Private Message to DrewbdoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think that is a fair non-answer, thank you.

Fixed it for ya...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2017 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jjd2296:

I don't care about the others behind me while driving, they can put their window up!

Nice.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2017 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Drewbdo:

Fixed it for ya...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock