First Car Fiero by copperhens
Started on: 06-07-2017 10:38 AM
Replies: 185 (3649 views)
Last post by: copperhens on 05-29-2019 09:06 PM
copperhens

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2018 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On Friday, insurance was put back on Fiero. I was so happy I took it on a drive around town and around the GM proving grounds. It acted up once when it stalled when I put it into drive.

When I got it home, I put the LeBra I had gotten for Christmas on it. If I ever don't like it, it's pretty easy to pull off. My poor new painted bumper already has a bunch of chips, this will help!

[This message has been edited by copperhens (edited 05-29-2018).]

IP: Logged
copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2018 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

copperhens

490 posts
Member since Oct 2016
Yesterday, my friend went out to Rochester to OU for a cars and coffee. We stopped at McDonald's because my friend wanted food, and while I was in the lot, a guy in a truck gave me a thumbs up to the Fiero.

At the car meet, there were no other Fieros. Two Firebirds though. Not the best meet I've been to, but fun. On the way home, we drove through Pontiac. I got some pictures by what my phone said was the old Pontiac plant.

When we were going through downtown Pontiac, I was stopped at an intersection. I was listening to music, so I didn't really hear the engine, but I saw the RPMs start to fluctuate. I tried putting the car into neutral and recent the engine, but lost it. I tried restarting the car and the engine cranked but wouldn't turn over. My friend who was behind me put on her hazards, and I called the police.

The one officer who came was super friendly. He offered to push the Fiero into the nearest driveway with his car's bumper. I forgot his name, but I think it started with an L?

The nearest driveway was around the turn and up a small hill. Officer L offered to hand push it, and my friend helped too. We got it into the drive, and Officer L waited with us. He talked about our cars. He and his buddy were rebuilding a RX7 race car. He said he may go to the M1 concourse meet later this month.

His friend, Officer Osborne I think it was, came by too and discussed the car. They were both super friendly. Wen my dad came, they stuck around a little longer and recommended us a tow company.

$150 later we got Fiero home. The friends over on the Fiero Facebook page told me ICM. I got a new one but it wasn't that. We pulled a spark plug out and when we cranked the engine, there was no spark. It was getting dark, and the ignition coil we ordered was gonna come tomorrow anyway. So we pushed Fiero into garage, and that's all we did yesterday.

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2018 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

copperhens

490 posts
Member since Oct 2016
Today, I installed the ignition coil. That wasn't it either.

My dad and I determined there was a spark coming from the coil, and going into the distributor, but there was a disconnect somewhere and the spark wasn't reaching the plugs.

I got a new dizzy cap and rotor, we had a warranty so it was 'free' anyway. I kept pointing out to my dad how rusted the metal piece in he dizzy was. I later found out that is called the pick up coil. Well we cleaned it up a bit, and put it back together, and the Fiero started up! I have parts on the way, and I don't want to break down again so I'm gonna leave Fiero home until I replace the piece.

I was so worried that Fiero wouldn't be fixed I had a dream about it haha. I'm glad it was fixable.

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2018 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have also been working on Spare Fiero. We trailered it to school because my auto shop teacher said I can use he lift to install brake lines.

While it was in the shop, the battery started dying. I thought it was just because it was left in the cold at my house. I tried charging it but it died in a day. The teacher ad I tested the car and found a parasitic drain... I pulled all the common plugs and fuses and still have a drain. Sigh. I also bought it a 'new' stock radio to replace the crappy aftermarket one on this Fiero as well.

My chickens enjoy being nosey when I'm just trying to clean.

I also got another Fiero on the 13th of April... It was free, that's my only excuse. I am just parting it out.

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2018 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I chopped off the catalytic converter on my daily a few weeks ago because it became clogged.

Lookin' pretty. Car shows are nice because I have to be up early enough to catch the sun at a good angle. At this show, I ran into the police officer who helped me in Pontiac.

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2018 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

copperhens

490 posts
Member since Oct 2016
Today I replace the alternator on my spare Fiero because it died. It was also causing my parasitic drain.

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chopped off spare Fiero's cat today.
CharlieGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2018 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CharlieGTClick Here to visit CharlieGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to CharlieGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome work! Its really coming along. Brings back lots of memories of working on my Fiero with my dad. My first car was a Fiero as well (85 GT).

Regarding your stalling / starting issue. Have you replaced the ignition control module? Its a flat black device with 2 plugs right below the distributer cap. I had to replace mine several times in the years I owned the car and the symptoms sound very similar to what you're experiencing.

Cheers
Charlie
copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2018 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yesterday I picked up a new alternator belt for the daily.

I also think I found the vacuum leak in my spare Fiero. It's also leaking oil really bad from the lower manifold.
copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2018 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finished my car's LED interior conversion the other day.

Dash:

Shifter and cigarette accessories:

My trunk light had a bad switch and once replaces, it worked! Now to wait until next year for it to be useful in the dark. It is light a long time now in MI.

Frunk:

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2018 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CharlieGT:

Awesome work! Its really coming along. Brings back lots of memories of working on my Fiero with my dad. My first car was a Fiero as well (85 GT).

Regarding your stalling / starting issue. Have you replaced the ignition control module? Its a flat black device with 2 plugs right below the distributer cap. I had to replace mine several times in the years I owned the car and the symptoms sound very similar to what you're experiencing.

Cheers
Charlie

Thank you. Yes the ICM is new. I even have a spare new one. Car has been running fine after replacing the distributor though.

PFF
System Bot
copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2018 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

copperhens

490 posts
Member since Oct 2016
This weekend was Fiero filled. On Sunday, I headed out to Bakers. I had gotten with a couple Fiero folks about going, and they rallied and we had a crazy large group go.

On the way out to Bakers from work, as I passed through an intersection I was surprised to see a red GT. I waved and had to keep driving(obviously), but much to my delight I saw him turn my way. I kept catching glimpses of him. Once on the freeway, he passed me. I then followed behind him all the way to Bakers. His car is an '86 GT with 14k miles! He is trying to sell it because it is hard for him to get in and out of.

I have never seen a blue Fiero in person, and can I say I'm in love? This one is for sale too.

I've followed the build for the Black Widow Fiero. I did not know it was in MI, and was even more surprised when I saw it at the cruise.

When I first got there, there were 5 Fieros. By the end of the day, there were 10, and 7 of us has parked together.

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2018 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

copperhens

490 posts
Member since Oct 2016
On Memorial Day, I was in a parade with my Fiero. There were 7 Fieros.

All dressed up:

Someone popped their decklid, so obviously all the Fiero guys had to swarm which I thought was funny.

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2018 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

copperhens

490 posts
Member since Oct 2016
Yesterday, because I wasn't tired enough apparently, I decided to redo my headliner. My old headliner had rips and was sagging. When I tried to redo it, I had cut the fabric too short around the sunroof. I had a spare board so I could redo it. Turned out better. In 10 years when it goes bad and I have to redo it I will fix my small mistakes.

No headliner:

I also painted my trim pieces. Before and after:

New headliner is in. I also replaced the dome light case because PO drilled holes in my old one to hold up the sun visors.

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2018 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’ve been working a lot on this car, but am just very behind on posting. Just bumping to keep out of archives..
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2018 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by copperhens:

...very behind on posting. Just bumping to keep out of archives.

We were starting to get worried about the chickens.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-10-2018).]

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2018 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Time is running out in the year to daily this thing. It is supposed to snow on Friday.

[This message has been edited by copperhens (edited 11-08-2018).]

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2019 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2019 bump.
BadNewsBrendan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2019 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome seeing so many fieros at random car shows and parades. The chickens standing on your car crack me up and so does the FLAMBLE licence plate
copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2019 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bumping... I hope to have the Fiero on the road in June. In the meantime, I have been dailying my other Fiero.
copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2019 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

copperhens

490 posts
Member since Oct 2016

Originally posted by BadNewsBrendan:

Awesome seeing so many fieros at random car shows and parades. The chickens standing on your car crack me up and so does the FLAMBLE licence plate

Thank you!
PFF
System Bot
copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2019 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My little black Fiero goes back on the insurance tomorrow.

I bought TFS premium quarter windows for it... I'm not 100% impressed. Time will tell. I don't have a picture of the new sails for some reason. They are on but keep unsticking from the tape.

I also cleaned 30 years of crap off the exhaust tips. Here is a before and after(well, left side right side comparison because I forgot a before picture haha). I just got some actual alumnium polish and will work on shining these up more, as well as making the inside pretty too.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2019 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by copperhens:

I bought TFS premium quarter windows for it... I'm not 100% impressed. Time will tell. I don't have a picture of the new sails for some reason. They are on but keep unsticking from the tape.

You might want to have a look at This thread.

I stuck new sail panels on my '86 GT using the correct double-sided tape and black silicone similar to the method described below. However, I used the black silicone around the entire perimeter of the sail panels (in addition to the tape). The most important area to carefully seal up is the leading edge. You don't the wind catching and lifting the front of the sail panels while you're zipping along on the freeway. Mine are never coming off.

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

What a lot of people do is just depend on the double sided tape. On any window install, I would recommend the tape plus black silicone. Here is an example. The factory panels have the leading edge directly behind the driver/passenger glass siliconed to keep air from getting under the panels at highway speed. The red lines in my picture is the tape and the blue lines is the black silicone. Note the factory remnants of silicone just behind my drivers side window:

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2019 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

You might want to have a look at This thread.

I stuck new sail panels on my '86 GT using the correct double-sided tape and black silicone similar to the method described below. However, I used the black silicone around the entire perimeter of the sail panels (in addition to the tape). The most important area to carefully seal up is the leading edge. You don't the wind catching and lifting the front of the sail panels while you're zipping along on the freeway. Mine are never coming off.

Yikes, thanks for the info! I'll definitely have to look k to securing them better. I would not be happy if I lost one.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by IMSA GT:

What a lot of people do is just depend on the double sided tape. On any window install, I would recommend the tape plus black silicone. Here is an example. The factory panels have the leading edge directly behind the driver/passenger glass siliconed to keep air from getting under the panels at highway speed. The red lines in my picture is the tape and the blue lines is the black silicone. Note the factory remnants of silicone just behind my drivers side window:

[/QUOTE]

Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2019 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Read through the whole thread, some very good information in here, I love how you documented everything, it's a fantastic idea to keep a record, whether it be online or in a book (have mine in a binder) of all the work, upgrades, and modifications you have done, and this is incredibly organized!

Recognized you from my introduction post, but just wanted to let you know you gave me some good ideas for things I need to do to my Fiero, and that your car is looking phenomenal!
copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2019 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vicophine:

Wow! Read through the whole thread, some very good information in here, I love how you documented everything, it's a fantastic idea to keep a record, whether it be online or in a book (have mine in a binder) of all the work, upgrades, and modifications you have done, and this is incredibly organized!

Recognized you from my introduction post, but just wanted to let you know you gave me some good ideas for things I need to do to my Fiero, and that your car is looking phenomenal!

Thank you! I feel bad I haven't been updating it as I should. Posting to this forum is nice because I can pretty quickly go back to see progress.

You should keep adding to your thread. It's interesting to read about other people's projects. At least yours are on paper, I get worried with websites because they may not always be permanent. I save receipts but they're pretty unorganized .

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock