First Car Fiero by copperhens
Started on: 06-07-2017 10:38 AM
Replies: 100 (1063 views)
Last post by: copperhens on 09-13-2017 08:00 AM
copperhens

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensClick Here to Email copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Today, my dad sent me pictures that the paint people sent him. Sadly, they forgot to take progress pictures of it being painted. There is a blemish they want to fix, so I pick it up in a few days. I actually won't have it for my first day of school, and since the parking pass I have is for the Fiero I won't be able to drive to school lol. I'm excited to see it Tuesday.

[This message has been edited by copperhens (edited 09-01-2017).]

IP: Logged

tshark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nice! Keep up the good work.

Here's your video:

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-01-2017).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 417
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Heh heh... Kristina is the spitting image of her dad. Strong genes!

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensClick Here to Email copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Nice! Keep up the good work.

Here's your video:

Thanks!

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensClick Here to Email copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Heh heh... Kristina is the spitting image of her dad. Strong genes!

Haha yes, I am glad I take after him! This car stuff is fun. :P

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensClick Here to Email copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So a few days ago, on Tuesday, the Fiero was supposed to be ready. I didn't have a car to drive to school, so my grandma picked me up and the plan was to pick up the Fiero. Though it wasn't yet ready. Soon after she dropped me off home, my dad got the call it was done. Well lucky for me my grandma could take me still.

So my grandma and I went to get the Fiero. I stopped for gas in the Fiero on the way home, and what do I see on the roof? The paint chipped! Right behind the sunroof and by windshield. Back to the paint shop she goes.

There are these dust specks in some spots I don't really care for...

Bye once again, Fiero. Should be done by Friday.

87_FieroGT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTClick Here to Email 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow, amazing progress! Keep up the great work, the car is looking really good.

------------------

1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, Black w/Beechwood interior
2015 Dodge Charger R/T Road & Track

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensClick Here to Email copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87_FieroGT:

Wow, amazing progress! Keep up the great work, the car is looking really good.

Thank you!

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensClick Here to Email copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well I got it back today.
Was a $1700 paint job at Maaco. Now I've never had anything painted professionally, so I can't compare. There are a few inconsistencies in the new paint, but not noticeable from a distance. For a budget paint job it's good in my opinion, and the people were really nice.
Are Fiero mirrors supposed to be matte? If they are oops, didn't tell the paint people to not paint them. If they're suppose to be glossy too, then great lol.

On the way home, the dash kept clicking. It was the darn tripodometer not working right. It started working again luckily. Since the gas gauge is still broken I don't need to lose that haha.

For sake of comparison, some of these 'before' pictures I'll upload have been posted before.

tshark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Reset the trip while stopped, and it will quit ticking.

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensClick Here to Email copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Reset the trip while stopped, and it will quit ticking.

I did, thanks.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by copperhens:

Was a $1700 paint job at Maaco. Now I've never had anything painted professionally, so I can't compare. There are a few inconsistencies in the new paint, but not noticeable from a distance. For a budget paint job it's good in my opinion...

I had my first car ('67 Chev) repainted waaaaay back in 1975. (Ya, I'm old.) It looked great at first, but shortly afterwards problems began to develop. I was so ticked off with the whole process that I've never had a car repainted since. Hopefully your experience will be a lot more positive.

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2017 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensClick Here to Email copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I had my first car ('67 Chev) repainted waaaaay back in 1975. (Ya, I'm old.) It looked great at first, but shortly afterwards problems began to develop. I was so ticked off with the whole process that I've never had a car repainted since. Hopefully your experience will be a lot more positive.

That's a shame. What happened after?

Yes, hopefully!

87_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2017 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTClick Here to Email 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"Are Fiero mirrors supposed to be matte? If they are oops, didn't tell the paint people to not paint them. If they're suppose to be glossy too, then great lol."

They are supposed to be glossy and black, but the original finish is not a regular body paint, it's different, almost like they're anodized. I'm sure someone on here knows what the process is that was used.

Here's a cheap suggestion for you too. Go to O'reilly's or wherever and get some black fabric paint, pop the speaker covers out of the dash, and paint them black. It's cheap, easy, and looks way better!

------------------

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2017 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's a shame. What happened after?

The biggest reason for the initial repaint was the need to repair rust damage around the wheel openings in the rear fenders. When I first got the car back, it looked great... beautiful dark blue paint with metal flake. About a month later, the rust started to bubble up through the new paint around the rear fenders. Obviously the rust hadn't been dealt with properly. They took the car back and re-did the rear fenders, but the replacement paint on the rear fenders never properly matched the rest of the car. Something about the metal flake was very different. It looked weird. I never liked the car after that. In retrospect, I should've insisted that the whole car be resprayed. Live and learn.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-11-2017).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2017 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here guy, fix your sig. I've uploaded your image to PIP. I'm sick of seeing all these reminders of how bad Photobucket is.

Copy the address and update your profile.

87_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2017 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTClick Here to Email 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here guy, fix your sig.

LOL, sorry about that. I've been meaning to fix that. Appreciate the help.

------------------

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2017 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensClick Here to Email copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They are supposed to be glossy and black, but the original finish is not a regular body paint, it's different, almost like they're anodized. I'm sure someone on here knows what the process is that was used.

Here's a cheap suggestion for you too. Go to O'reilly's or wherever and get some black fabric paint, pop the speaker covers out of the dash, and paint them black. It's cheap, easy, and looks way better!

Neat idea, I'll have to keep that one in mind. I also have to touch up some of the gray in the interior. Thanks!

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2017 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensClick Here to Email copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The biggest reason for the initial repaint was the need to repair rust damage around the wheel openings in the rear fenders. When I first got the car back, it looked great... beautiful dark blue paint with metal flake. About a month later, the rust started to bubble up through the new paint around the rear fenders. Obviously the rust hadn't been dealt with properly. They took the car back and re-did the rear fenders, but the replacement paint on the rear fenders never properly matched the rest of the car. Something about the metal flake was very different. It looked weird. I never liked the car after that. In retrospect, I should've insisted that the whole car be resprayed. Live and learn.

Ah wow that's too bad. From storied I've heard about painting it could be a hit or miss. Shame when the paint work isn't done properly the first time.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2017 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

From stories I've heard about painting it could be a hit or miss.

My bitterness back then over the botched rust repair greatly contributed to me eventually getting into Fieros. I wanted freedom from rusty body panels!

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensClick Here to Email copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My bitterness back then over the botched rust repair greatly contributed to me eventually getting into Fieros. I wanted freedom from rusty body panels!

That's one way to look at it!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock