computer help needed by FieroG97J
Started on: 06-02-2017 05:16 PM
Replies: 9 (164 views)
Last post by: IMSA GT on 06-03-2017 05:38 PM
FieroG97J

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2017 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have some old Mac floppies that I need to read. I have a Sabrent USB drive plugged into my Win 7 desktop but that's not happening. Can anyone crack these open for me?

[This message has been edited by FieroG97J (edited 06-02-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2017 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The chances of those floppies even working are very slim.
thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2017 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will need something like this:

https://www.macdisk.com/mden.php
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2017 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, there is a utility you can run to help the disks a bit, if they're sortof problematic. It won't recover from a disaster, but can recover a few lost bits.

Depending on how old the disks are and the type you may have to fake the disk into compatibility.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2017 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Old mac floppies won't read or write in any DOS or Windows machine w/o software/drivers at minimum.
Apple HD and Floppies Formats are not the same so you need software just to see then and doc's on them are often different too even when using Mac MS word etc.

Example:
MS Office for Windows that need to read Mac doc's but software in not installed by default. You need to run Office install and add mac filters/tools. (May need the CD too.)
Office 2007 to Current and Office 360 may not have filters to read old Mac doc's. I haven't check for years.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

FieroG97J

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2017 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Sabrent drive I bought is supposed to fix all of that. You are supposed to simply plug the drive into any USB port on the (non Mac) PC and it is supposed to read the Mac disc as if it had been compiled on a non-Mac PC. I am hoping that someone out there has the needed equipment and/or knowledge already so I can simply send them the disc and they can possibly transfer it to a readable CD. I don't want to start another learning curve since I have plenty to do with falling headliners and squeaking alternator belts.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2017 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The drive should just read the files--not translate the data.

In theory, the drive could be connected on a mac, and it would read the files. Of course, it could also be read on some LINUX computers.

Installing the software is probably easiest, unless you know someone nearby who is both able and willing to help. No particular knowledge needed.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2017 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If Win Office and have install whatever filters then nothing to learn. Just open then "save as" to a new format.

MS Office programs have/had filters for many old versions but, again, many don't install w/ common installation.

I've looked at Office 2010 install and under Converters and Filters in Shared Features but doesn't have many. Try online.
Before 2007 had a lot more.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2017 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The drive format will not be recognized without special drivers. That's the first issue. Then the file format may of may not come into play. My experience has been that the MS Office file formats of similar versions are compatible, but people are often using appleworks on the mac, which is not compatible.

The problem is that MSOffice documents on macs use different extensions, so you have to use the open with option.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2017 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Send me the drive and disks

PM sent.......

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 06-03-2017).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock