Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  F23 trans mount group buy discussion

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version


next newest topic | next oldest topic
F23 trans mount group buy discussion by BV MotorSports
Started on: 05-26-2017 08:23 PM
Replies: 22 (770 views)
Last post by: ignorant prodigy on 02-15-2018 04:34 PM
BV MotorSports
Member
Posts: 4810
From: Panama City, Fl
Registered: May 2001


Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 187
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsClick Here to Email BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK guys I have 2 things I would like to cover. So here goes.

1. With the launch of our EP Performance F23 shifter cable bracket and selector shaft rebuild kit, it has been brought to my attention that several want us to make f23 mounts. The reviews for our current products have been absolutely positive. I was hoping there would be a market for professional grade, production based parts. We delivered. My inbox was filled up twice when I announced we were working on f23 parts. Sales have been disappointing and now Dave is looking to me for answers. Bottom line, if the parts don't sell, we miss out on a huge opportunity for top shelf quality custom parts for our cars.

2. With all that said Dave isn't willing to do another production run with the cost 100% out of his pocket. We have to make 1 set of f23 mounts for a car I am working on anyway. If anyone would like a set of mounts, the only way I could get Dave on board was to create a group buy. Call the shop at 8506403777 and ask to be placed on the list. Dave willl take 20 names and 5 backups. We will produce the pre-production parts and post pics. Cost and mfg time will be determined and posted. I will ask those on the list to call the shop and provide payment within a certain time limit. Say, 1 week and then the order will be placed.

You are more than welcome to post here and I will try to keep a list as well. That way I can PM those that may miss the posts.

Guys/gals, Euro Pacific is the real deal. Everything is 100% on the level. Dave is a manufacturing engineer by trade and can make anything I dream up. We will continue to work om my K swap. Funny, this will only delay my personal build. Wait a minute..... lol Dont miss out. If you guys only knew what we are cooking up. The parts will be on my car regardless. Its up to you all to put this stuff into production.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PARAD0X
Member
Posts: 121
From: Everything's Bigger
Registered: Feb 2017


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2017 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You guys know I'm in regardless. I spoke with Dave for a while the other day. He told me what the sales numbers were for the shifter bracket kit. I'm sure the mounts will sell better as they're necessary for the swap. I think people see the shifter bracket kit as something nice to have but not as urgently needed. I'm not one of them obviously, as I'm buying anything you put out and I don't even have my car here yet.

This leads me to my question, do you have any idea what the price range will be? I'd like to have a rough idea how large of a purchase I'll be hiding from the wife, so I can start to build my backstory.

[This message has been edited by PARAD0X (edited 05-27-2017).]

IP: Logged
Raydar
Member
Posts: 38610
From: Carrollton GA. Out in the... country.
Registered: Oct 1999


Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 452
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2017 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may be mistaken, but aren't there two mounting methods for the F23, depending upon where it came from?

I guess my question is whether the mounts will be for the Cobalt version or the Ecotec version of the F23.
Are they going to place the face of the trans in the same plane (left to right) as the Getrag? Will there be some adjustment?

I should mention that I'm not in the market at this point (that may change as I decide what my swap will be) but I'm sure that other folks will want to know this stuff, too.
I suspect that your sales will pick up, as people start (or progress) on their swaps.
IP: Logged
PARAD0X
Member
Posts: 121
From: Everything's Bigger
Registered: Feb 2017


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2017 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Raydar:

I may be mistaken, but aren't there two mounting methods for the F23, depending upon where it came from?

I guess my question is whether the mounts will be for the Cobalt version or the Ecotec version of the F23.
Are they going to place the face of the trans in the same plane (left to right) as the Getrag? Will there be some adjustment?

I should mention that I'm not in the market at this point (that may change as I decide what my swap will be) but I'm sure that other folks will want to know this stuff, too.
I suspect that your sales will pick up, as people start (or progress) on their swaps.



My understanding is that the difference between the two is the bell housing. To use the Cobalt you have to switch to the Sunfire / Cavalier bell housing. If that's the case then one set of mounts should work for most everyone...?

It would be cool if they had a full kit available, sort of a one stop shopping thing. I understand their hesitancy though. This is a new market for them and they don't want to waste time and energy on something when they already have an established market elsewhere. I look at it this way, if any of us approached a fourth gen Firebird vendor and tried to talk them into providing full solutions for us too, they'd want some assurance upfront as well. These guys are more into the import market but their reputation checks out and we could some new ingenuity IMO.

[This message has been edited by PARAD0X (edited 05-27-2017).]

IP: Logged
BV MotorSports
Member
Posts: 4810
From: Panama City, Fl
Registered: May 2001


Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 187
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2017 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsClick Here to Email BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Raydar:

I may be mistaken, but aren't there two mounting methods for the F23, depending upon where it came from?

I guess my question is whether the mounts will be for the Cobalt version or the Ecotec version of the F23.
Are they going to place the face of the trans in the same plane (left to right) as the Getrag? Will there be some adjustment?

I should mention that I'm not in the market at this point (that may change as I decide what my swap will be) but I'm sure that other folks will want to know this stuff, too.
I suspect that your sales will pick up, as people start (or progress) on their swaps.


Hey Raydar. Every f23 we have had is the exact same except the bellhousing. Shift assembly, everything. We developed the shift cable bracket using the 2.2 and 2.4 trans. Thats why my bracket has those odd cut outs near the bolt pattern. Some have an odd round bump. It appears to serve no purpose. Anyway, There will be adjustment because they will be designed to work with pretty much any mount designed as a drop in replacement for the stock Fiero mounts. I have RD, OEM, Aftermarket and WCF mounts I am testing them against. Too be honst, I like the WCF mount style best but wouldnt want to deal with WCF.
IP: Logged
BV MotorSports
Member
Posts: 4810
From: Panama City, Fl
Registered: May 2001


Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 187
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2017 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsClick Here to Email BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by PARAD0X:
My understanding is that the difference between the two is the bell housing. To use the Cobalt you have to switch to the Sunfire / Cavalier bell housing. If that's the case then one set of mounts should work for most everyone...?

It would be cool if they had a full kit available, sort of a one stop shopping thing. I understand their hesitancy though. This is a new market for them and they don't want to waste time and energy on something when they already have an established market elsewhere. I look at it this way, if any of us approached a fourth gen Firebird vendor and tried to talk them into providing full solutions for us too, they'd want some assurance upfront as well. These guys are more into the import market but their reputation checks out and we could some new ingenuity IMO.



You nailed it. Dave is very private, I am an open book. We have an interesting dichotomy. Thats why we dialed back on the videos (i'm not pleased but I support his decision). You should see the prototype MPI intake they made for that turbo 280z seen in some of the vids. They have tons of vehicles they typically work on, Dave just got infected with my passion for Fieros. All of this has been a courtesy to me with my promise that the Fiero community would support a reputable vendor that makes excellent parts. We have had too many "whodeanies" steal from us while the good guys scratch their head wondering why their products and services arent being utilized.

Im saying the option is there. All the reviews for our 1st product have been absolutely positive. Dave will not make or sell 2nd rate parts. Guys, we have access to a MANUFACTURING ENGINEER. Can you comprehend the possibilities for our cars?

IP: Logged
Raydar
Member
Posts: 38610
From: Carrollton GA. Out in the... country.
Registered: Oct 1999


Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 452
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2017 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

Hey Raydar. Every f23 we have had is the exact same except the bellhousing. Shift assembly, everything.



Okay. Thank you.
IP: Logged
slowv8fiero
Member
Posts: 32
From:
Registered: Apr 2017


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-29-2017 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slowv8fieroSend a Private Message to slowv8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not enough fiero owners are gonna do the f23 swap. too much work especially with the abundance of 282s still out there even if they need a diff bellhousing or what not.

anything you do with the fiero is gonna be low volume just like the mr2 stuff. make the mounts one at a time. make a jig, and produce as needed. Same goes for the k20 swap mounts.

if you produce the k20 mounts they will be very low volume, but a lot of the younger guys will buy in over time due to the fact you can get a fiero for $500. mounts and a k20 swap and you are in 200 whp range for under $5k. Turbo, and skies the limit for under $20k. The amount of sales will be low, but if its a good product, it will stand up to the critics.

people aren't getting rich off of mr2 swaps either. you arent creating a retirement fund, you are creating a product for a small market because this is a hobby car.
IP: Logged
PARAD0X
Member
Posts: 121
From: Everything's Bigger
Registered: Feb 2017


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2017 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by slowv8fiero:

not enough fiero owners are gonna do the f23 swap. too much work especially with the abundance of 282s still out there even if they need a diff bellhousing or what not.

anything you do with the fiero is gonna be low volume just like the mr2 stuff. make the mounts one at a time. make a jig, and produce as needed. Same goes for the k20 swap mounts.

if you produce the k20 mounts they will be very low volume, but a lot of the younger guys will buy in over time due to the fact you can get a fiero for $500. mounts and a k20 swap and you are in 200 whp range for under $5k. Turbo, and skies the limit for under $20k. The amount of sales will be low, but if its a good product, it will stand up to the critics.

people aren't getting rich off of mr2 swaps either. you arent creating a retirement fund, you are creating a product for a small market because this is a hobby car.



I agree on the K20 part but not the F23. Yeah, Fiero guys are a cheap bunch, and the K swap may never be a widely chosen engine for the Fiero, but anyone who's done an engine swap to a 250+ HP engine should at least be interested in having a transmission that will hold up over time. I've seen plenty threads about people either starting or being interested in starting a F23 swap, or doing one in conjunction with an engine swap. It's much more suitable for any 3800SC or LS swap.
IP: Logged
Easy8
Member
Posts: 346
From: Jacksonville, Fl
Registered: Feb 2009


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2017 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I for one would be interested,BUT only if I can bolt the thing to an LT1. If you are looking to develop a new transmission for a 250+ hp fiero then you might want to focus at least a little on the V8 guys. 3800 SC guys run the auto that came with it most times.. and why not its already bolted to the motor when they pull it. Any rate, I would love a set up to allow me to replace my 5 speed if it ever fails.
IP: Logged
ignorant prodigy
Member
Posts: 590
From: taunton, ma, usa
Registered: Mar 2006


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigyClick Here to Email ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How many people so far have signed up for the group buy?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1fstfiero
Member
Posts: 31
From: Colorado springs
Registered: Jun 2015


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fstfieroClick Here to Email 1fstfieroSend a Private Message to 1fstfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in, how many people are on the list and what will the price be?
IP: Logged
BV MotorSports
Member
Posts: 4810
From: Panama City, Fl
Registered: May 2001


Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 187
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsClick Here to Email BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Easy8:

I for one would be interested,BUT only if I can bolt the thing to an LT1. If you are looking to develop a new transmission for a 250+ hp fiero then you might want to focus at least a little on the V8 guys. 3800 SC guys run the auto that came with it most times.. and why not its already bolted to the motor when they pull it. Any rate, I would love a set up to allow me to replace my 5 speed if it ever fails.


Well the trans is going to sit in the stock location regardless. What you bolt on the other end of it is on you.
IP: Logged
BV MotorSports
Member
Posts: 4810
From: Panama City, Fl
Registered: May 2001


Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 187
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsClick Here to Email BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4810 posts
Member since May 2001
 
quote
Originally posted by 1fstfiero:

I'm in, how many people are on the list and what will the price be?


You'd have to ask Dave. He is keeping the list. Pricing will be determined once the prototype mounts are finished. Right now we are just gauging interest. If there is enough interest, we will dedicate the man hours to work on them.
IP: Logged
BV MotorSports
Member
Posts: 4810
From: Panama City, Fl
Registered: May 2001


Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 187
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsClick Here to Email BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4810 posts
Member since May 2001
What I would really like is for us to get a car in for a 3800 swap. Dave really needs to see there is a market here. My passion for the car has rubbed off on him but it can only last so long w/o customers.
IP: Logged
PARAD0X
Member
Posts: 121
From: Everything's Bigger
Registered: Feb 2017


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

What I would really like is for us to get a car in for a 3800 swap. Dave really needs to see there is a market here. My passion for the car has rubbed off on him but it can only last so long w/o customers.


PM Sent
IP: Logged
Custom2M4
Member
Posts: 4414
From: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
Registered: Sep 2004


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2017 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Click Here to Email Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello, I don't check here much lately. I must have missed a bunch of talk. But I have two f23's (one brand new crate trans) and am interested in whatever will make my life easier swapping it in. Please PM me with whatever your talking about / prices / parts of send a link to a website? Thanks

------------------

IP: Logged
BV MotorSports
Member
Posts: 4810
From: Panama City, Fl
Registered: May 2001


Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 187
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2017 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsClick Here to Email BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Custom2M4:

Hello, I don't check here much lately. I must have missed a bunch of talk. But I have two f23's (one brand new crate trans) and am interested in whatever will make my life easier swapping it in. Please PM me with whatever your talking about / prices / parts of send a link to a website? Thanks



http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/075503.html
IP: Logged
sourmash
Member
Posts: 1064
From:
Registered: Jul 2016


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2017 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashClick Here to Email sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That K series swap has had my attention since it was announced. PS: keeping things private as discussed above discourages interest BADLY. Seriously.
I'm busy above my comfort level now but wanted in on the engine mounts from the other thread. Just never seems time to contact you during business hours with what I have going on.
IP: Logged
BV MotorSports
Member
Posts: 4810
From: Panama City, Fl
Registered: May 2001


Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 187
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2017 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsClick Here to Email BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by sourmash:

That K series swap has had my attention since it was announced. PS: keeping things private as discussed above discourages interest BADLY. Seriously.
I'm busy above my comfort level now but wanted in on the engine mounts from the other thread. Just never seems time to contact you during business hours with what I have going on.


Whats being kept private? You guys can always just call me if its after business hrs or whatever.
IP: Logged
sourmash
Member
Posts: 1064
From:
Registered: Jul 2016


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2017 06:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashClick Here to Email sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If people can't follow you online, many won't bother following. So you lose potential interest if you hold back as you say Dave likes it. With the small size of this community there's only so many eyeballs to start with. In my personal life, as I posted, it's the time to contact you by phone thru the day that's my problem.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Will
Member
Posts: 13496
From: Where you least expect me
Registered: Jun 2000


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2018 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a website? What's the status of this order?
IP: Logged
ignorant prodigy
Member
Posts: 590
From: taunton, ma, usa
Registered: Mar 2006


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2018 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigyClick Here to Email ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sadly I think this died on the vine
IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay



Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock