Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Could someone please measure the mirror glass in the drivers door for me ASAP.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Could someone please measure the mirror glass in the drivers door for me ASAP. by JohnWPB
Started on: 05-16-2017 08:40 PM
Replies: 14 (273 views)
Last post by: JohnWPB on 05-21-2017 08:25 PM
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2017 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need the measurement of either the drivers or passengers side mirror. It doesnt matter which one they are mirror images of each other (BAD punn).

I need the measurement for "total width" and "total height". As they are shaped oddly, I need to know what size of a square piece of material, that I would need, that I can cut out a template of the mirror from.

My car is in the shop, and I need this ASAP, as I want to order something online tonight.

Thanks in advance!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2017 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
John, on the passenger side I measure from the top inner corner to bottom outer corner 7-5/8"
And from top to bottom in widest place 3-1/8"
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2017 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
John, do you have a printer? I scanned the driver side glass and you can print it out. It is scanned in black so the outer rim will not show up....just the white masking that I have on the glass. Just be sure to select "actual size" when you print it out.

I cut out my test print and it is exact to my mirror glass size. PM me with an email to send the file to.

Edit to add.....I assume you just need the actual size of the glass itself?

Adam

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 05-16-2017).]

David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2017 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Camaro/Firebird mirrors were the same and used to be readily available...
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2017 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Camaro/Firebird mirrors were SIMILAR and used to be readily available...

The mirror glass is the same but the housings are slightly different. They won't site at the proper angle without tweaking.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2017 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought stick on replacement mirrors for my 86 GT from Canadian Tire. At the time , they had them for all kinds of cars. They fit and work great. I will check tomorrow and see if they still have them and get the manufacturer info for you.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2017 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dorman sells replacement mirrors but not sure still have Fiero firebird ones

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2017 05:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The corvette mirrors are narrower other than that identical and power mirrors work fine. You may have corvette glass taken from a set of corvette mirrors that looked stock on the fiero.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 05-17-2017).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2017 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

John, on the passenger side I measure from the top inner corner to bottom outer corner 7-5/8"
And from top to bottom in widest place 3-1/8"

Perfect, thank you! I now can order a 5 x 9 piece of material and know it will be large enough.

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

John, do you have a printer? I scanned the driver side glass and you can print it out. It is scanned in black so the outer rim will not show up....just the white masking that I have on the glass. Just be sure to select "actual size" when you print it out.

Thank you! Yes, I have a Laser and inkjet printer..... but I think I am just gonna send the shape to my Silhouette dye cutter and have a perfectly sized and shaped template to work with.
You can email it to my me at my screen name here on Pennocks here, (At) gmail.com (Or just click the [email] link just to the top right of this post to copy and paste it.

I am working on adding a "modern feature" to my car. I purchased 2 pieces of 2-way mirror. I am going to have a local shop cut it into the size and shapre of the Fiero mirrors. I then have some Yellow LED arrows, that I will put behind the mirrors. It will look like a regular mirror, however when the turn signals are on, you will be able to see the yellow LED arrows.

These are the arrows, and they flash sequentially. I am using them behind the side mirrors, not as tail lights as shown in the photo.

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2017 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:
.....Or just click the [email] link just to the top right of this post to copy and paste it.

I sent you the file to the email you posted. I couldn't send it via the email link because you don't have it active in your profile so there is no link
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2017 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMSA GT: Thank you! Sorry, I forgot that I removed my email address. It was due to a "leak" in the forums old PDA version, that displays every email address next to each persons screen names. I was getting a LOT more SPAM after putting my email address here on the forum, as bots and scrapers were able to easily scrape all the email addresses of everyone on the forum.

From that mirror covered in masking tape picture, it was high enough contrast that I was able to make a mask from it, and then vectorize it. I will put it here for others to do with what they want.

EDIT: I just tried posting the image and it was just to large to embed in a post. HERE IS THE LINK TO IT

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 05-17-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2017 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Thank you! Yes, I have a Laser and inkjet printer..... but I think I am just gonna send the shape to my Silhouette dye cutter and have a perfectly sized and shaped template to work with.
You can email it to my me at my screen name here on Pennocks here, (At) gmail.com (Or just click the [email] link just to the top right of this post to copy and paste it.

I am working on adding a "modern feature" to my car. I purchased 2 pieces of 2-way mirror. I am going to have a local shop cut it into the size and shapre of the Fiero mirrors. I then have some Yellow LED arrows, that I will put behind the mirrors. It will look like a regular mirror, however when the turn signals are on, you will be able to see the yellow LED arrows.

These are the arrows, and they flash sequentially. I am using them behind the side mirrors, not as tail lights as shown in the photo.

Major cool!

Is this going to be a one off or are you going to sell them?
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2017 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
Major cool!
Is this going to be a one off or are you going to sell them?

I am not sure yet. The cost of the glass is pretty high, and I have still been unable to find someone that can cut glass with complex curves and such. I do have another idea of a way of approaching it that I am looking into.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2017 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was trying to see how I could put lights behind the stock glass. I was going to see if I could remove the silver backing and make my own two way mirror. But as far as I can tell the mirror lining is sandwiched in the layers of glass. Impossible to do it with the stock glass in my opinion.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2017 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well that sucks..... my plan B was to mark wherer the LED's were on the back of the mirror, and somehow scrape off the silver backing for each individual.... a labor intensive process for sure.

My other thought, is to find a mirror from a SUV or something with large mirrors, that has the LED's built in. Order that glass, and see if I can find someone to cut out the shape of the Fiero glass.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock