Exhaust Wrapping by Berlzebub
Started on: 05-03-2017 11:00 AM
Replies: 12 (453 views)
Last post by: Berlzebub on 05-08-2017 01:57 PM
Berlzebub

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2017 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BerlzebubSend a Private Message to BerlzebubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of my priority tasks is checking, cleaning, and replacing the exhaust on my '87 GT. I've read a little about exhaust wrapping to keep the engine bay cooler, but I've seen warnings about it being detrimental to the pipes because it can hold in too much heat.

My questions are does it actually help, do I wrap everything (headers, Y, tips, etc.), or just certain sections?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2017 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
People living in the rust belt generally don't wrap exhaust parts because it traps moisture.
Berlzebub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2017 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BerlzebubSend a Private Message to BerlzebubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

People living in the rust belt generally don't wrap exhaust parts because it traps moisture.

I know 309 Stn.Stl. can normally have surface rust, but I don't know if wrapping it will make it worse. Has anyone wrapped theirs here?

What research I've been able to do is inconclusive. Most of the articles about it are for motorcycles, with one talking about NASCAR doing it in the past but giving it up when they had to replace headers after every race.
Berlzebub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2017 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BerlzebubSend a Private Message to BerlzebubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Berlzebub

24 posts
Member since Mar 2017
I've decided not to wrap. I've read about too many having to take the wraps off, and the pipes underneath coming apart with the wrap.
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2017 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put heat paint on the y pipe , ran the engine to cure the paint then wrapped it. Every time I wash the car or get caught in the rain I don't shut it off till it stops steaming. Paint was from the gas grill and the wrap was 1" wide exhaust, titanium. The wrap even wet still gets all over the place.I was the person who did the race car headers, not a fun job but someone has to do it. Rust, my car has a fan blowing on it during the day. Good luck with your choice.
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2017 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jim94

1222 posts
Member since Jan 2010
I put heat paint on the y pipe , ran the engine to cure the paint then wrapped it. Every time I wash the car or get caught in the rain I don't shut it off till it stops steaming. Paint was from the gas grill and the wrap was 1" wide exhaust, titanium. The wrap even wet still gets all over the place.I was the person who did the race car headers, not a fun job but someone has to do it. Rust, my car has a fan blowing on it during the day. Good luck with your choice.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2017 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to do it right get your exhaust coated aka JetHot or similar. Will last a lot longer than wrap and not have any of the above problems. Is it the cure all, no, but it does work great at reducing the heat.
Berlzebub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2017 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BerlzebubSend a Private Message to BerlzebubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jim94:

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

If you want to do it right get your exhaust coated aka JetHot or similar. Will last a lot longer than wrap and not have any of the above problems. Is it the cure all, no, but it does work great at reducing the heat.

I think I'll go with coating. Right now I'm thinking of just getting the headers and 'Y' coated, and leaving the rest alone. If I think the rest needs coated, I can just get that done later. My main concern is engine compartment heat, and I think those components would radiate the most heat.

Plus, I read JetHot does color coatings, so I can get something to match the paint scheme I'm going with.

[This message has been edited by Berlzebub (edited 05-04-2017).]

Easy8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2017 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My two cents... I have an Lt1 in the back with wrapped pipes all the way to the tips. The car has a custom exhaust in it and the lower trunk has been removed and the pipes run just below it. The down pipe runs 500 f at idle and the trunk floor was hitting 190 F after 20 mins of driving. (even with the wrap, lots of heat shields and and insulation later it's just warm) My point in this is how long does water really stay on the pipe? The only real place alot of water can get on the pipes is the front mana fold (if you do not have the recall strip installed) The rest of the pipes may get a little spray on them when you drive but they are HOT. Even my stock GT will make the manifolds glow a dull red when revved up. Paint em and wrap away.. Now as to how effective wrapping is... well that is a different thread.
I FAR I

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2017 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for I FAR ISend a Private Message to I FAR IEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

+1 this and/or this: https://www.heatshieldprodu...at-shield-insulation

FastOwen2XLL

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2017 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastOwen2XLLSend a Private Message to FastOwen2XLLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone tried something like Eastwood's Hi-Temp Internal Exhaust Coating?

I intend on giving it a try when I do my manifolds and Y-pipe. I have been impressed with the quality of most of their products so far.
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2017 04:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everything encased was cast or mild steel i would think it is going out of date in days of stainless. I got 1920s cars in my head as had one.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 05-07-2017).]

Berlzebub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2017 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BerlzebubSend a Private Message to BerlzebubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Soooo many options. LOL

I think I'll let budget decide what I do, and go from there.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock