Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  operation turd polish (Page 3)

Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
operation turd polish by shemdogg
Started on: 05-01-2017 09:20 PM
Replies: 355 (13301 views)
Last post by: Tony Kania on 06-01-2019 04:07 PM
gldkarma

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2017 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gldkarmaSend a Private Message to gldkarmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey Greg--it's the third Tuesday--July 18 this month! Would be nice to see you again one of these days too! I still love my gold lace Enkei wheels!

JC
IP: Logged
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2017 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im not greg bro and we havent met yet lol. Ill be at the meeting. Maybe in the mustang, havent had a chance to touch the car in ages. Finally got my truck running decent and im 3 weeks behind in work. Cant do much outta the mustang. Still gotta get the headlights finished, how late do these meetings run?

shem
GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2017 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love this build. You have some nice skillz there buddy!
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2017 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks buddy! A lot of mistakes were made to earn those skills! My names forrest gump but people call me shem

lol
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2017 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got a lil time to work on the car, feels like its been ages! Loaded up the car w tools n hit the machine shop. Got the headlights installed and working yayeh!

The lenses are all fubarred, i got some of the cleaner from tap. May hafta get new ones but thatll be after paint

Got my splitter done n mounted. Looks crazy small in the pics but it sticks out 1.5"

Had a helluva time installing the scoop divider. Thing just did not wanna weld n the heat made the scoop flop around while welding. Trying to hit it from inside n its coming out like crap. Gonna cut it off n make a new one. but did get everything aligned so the opening is square.

Gotta work on rebuilding the power steering on the stang tomorrow at the stang shop. Hope to be outta there quick so I can run home n grab the fierrari n hit the shop. Dying to get this hood done n then its off to the finisher and off to paint. Still havent repaired the damage from wheelworks but the check should be here this week.

shem

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2017 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the mustang steering waaaaay better, changed a bushing and tightened up some stuff. Main power steering bracket needs to be welded to the frame and some gussets installed. Ran back home n grabbed the fierrari n hit the machine shop. Measured some stuff, broke out the sawzall n cut off wheel, n froze. Im pretty reluctant to cut this car up, but after a few mins, measuring n re-measuring, then calling the shop guy over to eyeball and to measure, I hit it up.

Then fabbed up the rear wing, and learned to use the medium brake solo w dies too short for this wing. Had a long enough lower bar but had to fit 2 shorter top pieces that didnt match n one moved while bending. Not bad, moved it over to the side that didnt move n it came out perfect. Just bent a lil much. no biggie I can bend it back later, theres a second smaller section I didnt put on. Heres some shots at the golden gate fiero club meeting

cool group of cats, looking forward to the next meeting.

shem
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2017 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

shemdogg

1742 posts
Member since Apr 2017
Mine looks like a slightly obese version of the real deal

I went for the spoiler off this one

shem
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2017 06:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting picture (the bottom one).

Obviously a studio beauty shot, but I wonder why the car has six spoke fronts and five spoke rear wheels?

Good work on your car, Shem, always have liked the F-40.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2017 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

olejoedad

17906 posts
Member since May 2004
D P

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 07-19-2017).]

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2017 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks olejoedad! Im liking the way its turning out just an insane amount of sanding and itching. Wrapping up the final fiberglass odds n ends now.

I dunno why the car in the lower pic has diff wheels, but let me know either 5 or 6 spoke looks killer on this

more to come, have some mechanical issues now. I did run a new hot from the battery to the trunk fan relay and ran the ground to the switched wire on the thermo housing- works great! Too bad I already cooked my alternator, cars not charging as of this morning
shem
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2017 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yawn- shemdogg tired. This heat takes my energy away. Been poking around on the car a bit. got the motor secured so it wont bounce around now, one bracket was waay out and the motor was sitting sideways a bit. Filling in lil divots n stuff and working on cleaning up the front groove. Also made some wheel well edges. Only good thing about this heat is the fb and bondo dries in 10 mins so im able to get a few rounds a day in.

yawn
shem

PFF
System Bot
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2017 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

shemdogg

1742 posts
Member since Apr 2017
To think it looked like this a few months ago lol what a turd. Cant see the front wheels, hood so long u could land a 747 on it or throw a wedding party. Hood looks like a wedge of cheese off a wheel

shem
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2017 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still poking around, had some mechanical and electrical issues. Got mot of them sorted. epoxied some bolts to the underside of the hood then glassed them in to hold my grills

done lotsa sanding on this hood groove, got the edges nice and crispy

hooked up some ratchet straps to the back bumper and to my truck to pull the pushed in right corner back to level w the top trunk

made a portable trunk support out of a 1x4 and got a tool kit in the trunk for breakdowns

shem

notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2017 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Little by little you're getting it together. Looking good
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2017 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank u sir!

shem

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2017 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The black mesh looks good in the hood vents, that stuff would look good in all the vents.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2017 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Itll all be there eventually, and before paint. The inside of the big hood scoop needs it, the sides of the hood where it sticks out from the doors( I did one but the hood hits it while being lowered,needs a redesign), some of the originals screens are missing. The stuff i got closely resembles what was already there. Havent done the lower front scoops yet, still getting the runaround from firestone about the damage they did, but did talk to the head of the (we fu$%ed up your car dept) today. Having lotsa ignition issues. Got an acdelco coil, igniter, and stator coming this week so every fricking ignition part will be brand new. Cant believe the msd coil cooked in 20 mins and had to get towed, where the tow guys bent up the hood pulling it onto the flatbed. And got the bad news that the f$#ked up alignment on the mustang is from bent strut rods. The guy said I musta hit something, but I havent, i barely drive the car. Told a buddy he said when I got it towed the guy musta hooked the strut rods to pull the car onto the flatbed. Now my falken front tires are bald on the insides. When I was broken down on the side of the freeway, 2 cars stopped behind me and took pictures of the car, didnt get out to ask if I was ok. Another guy in a vette stopped on the other side of the freeway in the middle to take some pics of the car lol.

Gotta big box o suspension parts to install one o these days, tie rods, ball joints, and a steering damper. Now I got 3 rides that need love. Cant find a truck to buy either, used car dealers know about the 6.0 diesel

life o da dawg

shem
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2017 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Made some time to work on the car yesterday n today. works been insanely busy n back been bugging me. Been tossing the idea around of making the roof proportional to the rest of the car forever now. I started pulling the car apart yesterday n figure my way along. Narrow the top by 4 inches and Going to chop the back a few inches so it slopes down, reinforce it, then adjust the fiberglass to fit. Making a polycarb windshield and back window. chopping the door panels so the side windows swing in to match the door opening. Rotating the window assy to give me more rake on the front and match the top down slope. Stripping the car was done in a few hours, spend an insane amount of time pulling the back window. more insanity to come

shem

how i got that damn back window out

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2017 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

shemdogg

1742 posts
Member since Apr 2017
Durr I did the same pic twice lmao
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2017 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

shemdogg

1742 posts
Member since Apr 2017
Uncovered some cheese lol

Peep the shitty hinge setup, and they has a 1/4" glue holding a piece of particle board door casing, to another 1/4" o glue holding the top hinge cover

peep the custom zip ties holding this door wiring down. yowza!

this whole tops boogered on lol

shem

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-01-2017 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a great thread to start from the beginning. Cool read.

I like the wood screws as an integral part of the hinge assembly.
PFF
System Bot
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2017 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
n the cheapo home depot hinges are the only thing holding the whole rear trunk to the car. Thats all getting redone too

Got smore done today, cut it up n bent everything into place. Didnt have to cut much, removed the center 4" and made some relief cuts at the bottoms of the inside pillars and bent errthang w some ratchet straps. Pretty much reddy for welding now.

hard parts gonna be the door windows, ill be on that soon enough

thanks for watching

shem

[This message has been edited by shemdogg (edited 10-01-2017).]

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2017 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's some pretty sweet work. Both sides bend in evenly when you did that, or did you have to massage it to get them to?
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2017 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
they bent in eventually, made some minor relief cuts at some seams to help.

And what a difference! im happy as f#$%

major bonus! the door windows almost touch the seals, I thought theyd be waaaay off
Fiberglass tomorrow

shem
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2017 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gldkarma:

Hey Greg--it's the third Tuesday--July 18 this month! Would be nice to see you again one of these days too! I still love my gold lace Enkei wheels!

JC

Originally posted by shemdogg:

Im not greg bro and we havent met yet lol. Ill be at the meeting. Maybe in the mustang, havent had a chance to touch the car in ages. Finally got my truck running decent and im 3 weeks behind in work. Cant do much outta the mustang. Still gotta get the headlights finished, how late do these meetings run?

shem

So how did you like meeting the "bro"?
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2017 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was no bro buddy but a cool cat nonetheless!

got the roof boogered together to hold and cut the trunk how its possed to be

Got the windows to seal up nicely
before

Only a 1/4" from the top seal, moved the seal bracket outward a bit
after

Going to tap soon for front n rear windows, n more glas

looking better everyday

shem

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2017 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still goin.... Lotsa sanding, fiberglassing, cutting, n welding.

Heres how the original windshield looks on the car now

bringing the roof in really made a yuuuge dif

in this pic the whole car looks proportional except for the very rear looks too big

distance shot

narrowing the roof made a big difference, im very happy w the way its coming out

shem

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2017 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What do you use for a windshield?
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2017 05:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now it no longer looks like a Fiero. (that's a good thing, in this case)
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2017 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

What do you use for a windshield?

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2017 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im using a polycarb window for everything but the side windows. Been messing w making a new hinge assembly and how to mount the trunk to it. still building up layers of glass

Theres the windshield in the back laying up against the fence. Going to install it after all the fiberglassings done, i know itll get messed up lol

heres my framework almost done, should be able to mount some shocks to help. That trunk lid is a heavy sumbitch

shem
PFF
System Bot
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2017 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still at it, progress is slow. Woke up to the familiar sounds of construction saturday morning. Found my neighbor and his son w the cordless sawzall cutting our fence down, thought it was this weekend. so i got dragged into that.

Got the inner trunk frame finished and the trunk lid mounted. Very secure now, when u push the car from the back you dont feel the trunk bending anymore. cut the body line for the trunk nice and crispy

threw the back window back on, it too big now? lol

Still working on the upper door window line curve and trying to make it work w the fiero window. Got some 1" alum and played w some shapes to get some idears

anybody ever done a narrow top before?

shem
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2017 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cmon page 4! lol

got some paint on after I finished sanding. Still a few trouble spots just anxious to see the new look. For got to take a pic while the roof was on durrr lol
the window to body line rakes coming out great

got the windshield on too. Havent built the bottom support yet

side shot

back panel got wopped when I cut it up, front got yanked forward last time i got towed. Will have to redo the hood hinge assy to something beefier and has a tow attachment.

Car wouldnt start today, ran it for 5 mins a few days ago, ran it for a min yesterday while moving. Didnt hear the fuel pump so i pulled the fuse. Wasnt popped but had a melted bubble on it, swapped it. All good

fiero life

shem
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2017 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Works crazy busy, not a lotta time to work on the car and its getting dark at 6 now. Still playing w the windows, got them almost where I want them. Got the window to sit lower on the rear by adjusting the stop. Found some long jetski bolts to move the bottom of the window track outward to give me more angle to the dangle. Gonna need new door seals, who sells em?

made the back window edge, finishing it up soon. Makes a yuuge difference. Also bent the rear of the rear window frame in to get more natural slope for the side windows

Took a door skin off to get better access to the window tracks. check out how the door panels welded to the frame and a piece of wire holding errthang together lol

Check out the fully adjustable hig perf door catches! yeah buddy!

So far ive spent about $250 buying the windshield and back window, some mat n cloth, and a gallon of fiberglass thats almost out

Doing cleanup on the roof too, have some good pics soon

shem
BeachBumPete

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2017 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BeachBumPeteSend a Private Message to BeachBumPeteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOAH this thread is amazing... You are turning that car into something truly beautiful to behold. I salute you sir! Well done

Pete

------------------
"May the grins begin when you turn the key and hear the engine roar over your shoulder" ......Gall57 (slightly modified LOL)

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2017 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you pete! Its a ton of work and even more sanding.

Still poking around filling lil bits here and there
The body kit didnt fit this side very well, there was a 1/2" gap, filled that. Smoothing out b pillars too

ordered some new style hinges for the back lid

waiting for fb to dry.....

shem
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2017 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Went to home depot to get more fb resin, thought of 5 more things to get while there. They had everything but the resin. Hit lowes on the way home, theyre out too. Inly the quarts at $16 each. Went to tap today, a gallon is $55 and $4 for catalyst. ouch

Played around w the drivers door window angle and broke the window. Doh! Thinkin about custom windows but thatll be a fortune. Went to work on some fb while I planned the next move on the windows.

Theres a yuuge gap between the window and the door thats been buggin me for awhile now

Got a piece of angle ern, screwed it to the inner door frame and glassed over it. Gonna look much much better. Had a crazy idea of makin plexi door windows. Car should have 2 piece windows n i saved my cutoff pices of polycarb and had some of the alum c-channel...

Now im thinking I can make the entire upper window frame outta the c-channel and use the original window motor ro drive the new plexi window

still waitin on glass to dry

shem
RCR

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2017 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Crazy build, Shem.

Bob

------------------

My Build

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2017 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lol yeah man its getting pretty crazy. It keeps evolving as I go I think of better ways to do things. Being pretty anal about edges, I want it all strong fb not bondo so lil things are taking lotsa time. Working on getting edges to line up n be nice n crispy. Doing all my experimentation on the drivers side so when I figure out what the hell im doing(which will take awhile lol), I can wrap up the pass side quickly.

progress

edges all match, no big ass 1.5" gap from the door edge to the window. Front window line matches up w hood and rear window

looking waaaaay better but i cant get the top window curve right, and the stance is absolutely terrible-kills the whole thing. Im leaning toward 20s to fill the gap

door jamb came out killer, forgot to take pics oy

shem
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2017 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

shemdogg

1742 posts
Member since Apr 2017
another crazy thing im thinkin bout is- a stock fiero windshield will still work if the sides are cut down. Which can be done I saw it on wheeler dealers lol. I was wanting a windshield w more curve in the middle so from the side view the windshield angle matches the hood angle very closely. I dunno...........lol

shem
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock