Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Rebuit 95 3.4 L with 88 Gt components whats it worth?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Rebuit 95 3.4 L with 88 Gt components whats it worth? by jjd2296
Started on: 05-01-2017 03:47 PM
Replies: 7 (298 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 05-07-2017 04:02 PM
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2017 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
theres one for sale on craigslist

https://rochester.craigslis.../pts/6081366154.html

just outside of Rochester, anyone here? whats it actually worth if built right?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2017 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The PCV valve elbow is missing, so assume that other small hardware may absent.

No mention of a clutch+flywheel or flexplate (neutrally balanced required).

I would replace the socket head cap screws (on exhaust manifolds) with regular hex bolts, or studs+nuts; I would expect the Allen heads to strip easily.

Remember that 3.4 L Camaro engines are only somewhat plug-and-play; even if using the Fiero computer, some tuning may be necessary for it to run well.

Does the seller have a build thread, or pile of receipts to prove what work has been performed, or which parts were purchased?

Note that the bores have just been honed; OK, but is there any proof that the cylinders meet factory specifications after just a hone? Does the seller have measurements of each bore?

Price seems a bit high for a refresh with factory parts... however, if it really is "almost like-new", then it may be an OK deal.

Lots of time saved if you don't have to dive into the engine yourself. But the seller is probably making money from this sale, I don't think it's just breaking even with the expenditures. No mention of high-dollar components, or high-dollar machining, so the expenditures cannot have been too high.

On the other hand, if the seller were to have begun with a core in bad condition, and needed to sink more money into the engine to rebuild it, I don't think the value to the end-user is any greater. It's the end result that matters, correct?

Here I have a running tally of my engine rebuild project (a 3.1 bored to 3192 cc):
http://www.fieromontreal.co...86.msg33330#msg33330

If you scroll to the engine section, I'm up to around 4.5k Canadian in parts/machining in the rebuild. You may be more frugal than I, but that's one data point.

Think you can do it for cheaper?

My gut feeling is that this sort of thing is worth 2k USD, but it all depends on the how well done it is. If the seller can convince that it's well-built, then 2.7k may be an acceptable price to pay.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2017 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A standard rebuild is 2k. The cost of the 3.4 prior to rebuild is probably 300-500. It's also clearly got some extras like a tensioner pulley, exhaust wrap, FP gauge.
Seems like a deal because you don't have to invest in time. Oh and 1.6 rockers to boot.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2017 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe that you must determine the value of this engine to you before buying. The price of $2700 may give you a reliable 3.4L engine that gives you bit better performance than the old 2.8L but not the power of some of the other engine swap choices that could be done for less. It says rebuilt but has it been tested and run? It all comes down to what you expect for $2700. With the Fiero plenum on it, you will perhaps make 180HP and slightly less mileage than on a 2.8L. Worth it? You decide.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2017 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want an engine upgrade that maintains the original look of the 2.8. I was leaning towards the 3.4 swap with an added supercharger in place of the AC which would give me around 220 or so.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2017 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the builder knew what he was doing. He paid attention to details that hack-job artists wouldn't bother with. I would still suggest checking it out first-hand, maybe see if the guy can crank it over to show that it isn't seized up. I'd also be tempted to bring a compression gauge.

If everything checks out, I'd offer $2k and see if he takes it.
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2017 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I believe that you must determine the value of this engine to you before buying. The price of $2700 may give you a reliable 3.4L engine that gives you bit better performance than the old 2.8L but not the power of some of the other engine swap choices that could be done for less. It says rebuilt but has it been tested and run? It all comes down to what you expect for $2700. With the Fiero plenum on it, you will perhaps make 180HP and slightly less mileage than on a 2.8L. Worth it? You decide.

Dennis, I just can't see how a swap would be any cheaper. Show me a swap done for $2700, and it's probably a shoddy job.

Just rebuilding your donor engine has to the same $2700... and if you're just throwing in a junkyard engine without rebuilding, how can you guarantee the longevity of it?

Summit Racing has 3800 L36 crate engines for $2364 + $200 core charge, but it's going to take quite a few more bills to get it installed in a Fiero.

I simply do not see the economics here...
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2017 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Dennis, I just can't see how a swap would be any cheaper. Show me a swap done for $2700, and it's probably a shoddy job.

Just rebuilding your donor engine has to the same $2700... and if you're just throwing in a junkyard engine without rebuilding, how can you guarantee the longevity of it?

Summit Racing has 3800 L36 crate engines for $2364 + $200 core charge, but it's going to take quite a few more bills to get it installed in a Fiero.

I simply do not see the economics here...

The DIY swap cost depends on what you pay for the swap engine. You need to look for low mileage used engine. I have purchased 3800SC engines w 60K miles on them for $600 at the salvage yards. True they are not rebuilt engines but at 50K-60K miles they will last a long time Then you add the cost of brackets , mounts, a harness, some air/fuel lines , a new fuel pump an exhaust system and you are probably around the same cost as the rebuilt engine. If its a turn key swap job then add in many hours of labor and you will easily double the price.
The other option is that engine swaps on cradles sometimes come up in the mall. They are probably the lowest cost approach.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock