My first 3800sc swapped fiero! by fierotrev2014
Started on: 04-19-2017 06:48 PM
Replies: 10 (444 views)
Last post by: notwohorns on 05-13-2017 07:46 PM
fierotrev2014

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2017 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierotrev2014Send a Private Message to fierotrev2014Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well after long debating whether to take my 86 2m6 4speed fiero and do the swap to that one or look for one that was already swapped, I have finally made my purchase!

I recently bought a 1988 Formula that has a 3800sc 4t65eHD drivetrain swapped into it off of a forum member, maybe you saw his ad in the mall awhile back, that I plan on driving and doing some work to, to have as a nice summer driver and hopefully take it up to Summit Raceway in Norwalk for Pontiac Nationals.

A little about the car:

The drivetrain was a dropout of Steves25's car and had ran 12.05 back in 2010 with a 3.0 pulley from what I understand and it runs good, just put new plugs in it and still have some maintenance to do to it from sitting. The NIC cam has a pretty wicked sounding idle, and just idling in my driveway people walking past have told me it sounds like a cammed out v8. The look on there faces when I tell them its 3800 is priceless.

L26 short block with Series 2 L67 top swap.
NIC cam, no intercooler
Factory stock 99 Throttle body and Gen 3 M90
Currently 3.4" pulley
Comp Cams Hi-Tech 1.8 rockers for a BBC
Rhoads XL lifters for LS1
eBay headers
Magnaflow Camaro muffler, 3" in X dual 2.5" outs into stainless resonator tips.
Partial trunk cut to accommodate exhaust.

Transmission:
4T65E-HD with lots of hard parts and 7/8th" chain, 3.29 final
Nice Torque Converter built by Enterprise Torque Converters, custom stall
My understanding is that the transmission is somewhere around the 4T65E-HPS3 offered by Triple Edge Performance

From what the seller had told me darkhorizon was the last one to do a tune on it. It has a open loop tune, I haven't had the chance to drive it on the road yet because I would like to put an intake on it and new brakes all the way around. The seller had taken me for a ride in it, and it is very fast, and the transmission shifts very well!

The chassis:
88 Forumula with sunroof
232k miles
Has Koni coilovers in the back and Koni shocks up front
Front hood vent
Battery relocated to the front, interior is pretty good, Autometer gauges.
Exterior has some paint fade that i'm currently getting some estimates on getting it repainted.

Now i've tried to dig up anything and everything I could find about this drivetrain and have found a lot of good info, but I believe some forum members have also had hands on experience with the drivetrain and would like to know what they think or if you guys have any additional info about it, I always enjoy knowing more!

I'm thrilled with my purchase and plan on keeping it for a very long time, this is the swap i've always wanted and i'm honored to own a 88 formula with the drivetrain that had so much time and effort put into it by Steve25 and all others involved!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2017 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrads on the purchase. Hope you have a good time with it
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2017 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a nice car, congrats. I keep thinking about putting a 3800 in my Indy Fiero when I start working on it.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
01 BMW 525i: The other summer car
03 BMW X5: bad weather car

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2017 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on your purchase.
You have a PM.
vasia

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2017 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vasiaClick Here to visit vasia's HomePageSend a Private Message to vasiaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrads! Have a good time with it
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2017 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool car, I bet you'll have a lot of fun with your new car!
I just did that swap and buying it would have been a lot easier and faster

Jessica
fierotrev2014

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2017 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierotrev2014Send a Private Message to fierotrev2014Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
olejoedad-PM replied to

Thanks everyone! I plan on having fun driving it around and take it to a couple shows hopefully at some point.

I will update pictures and various things as time goes on the more I get done and start driving it.

Thanks again!
Trevor
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2017 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
congrats, not get that thing painted! :P
fierotrev2014

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2017 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierotrev2014Send a Private Message to fierotrev2014Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by busa_powered:

congrats, not get that thing painted! :P

Yea I got estimates in the works

[This message has been edited by fierotrev2014 (edited 04-20-2017).]

fierotrev2014

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2017 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierotrev2014Send a Private Message to fierotrev2014Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an update:

Put brake pads and rotors on all the way around, wasn't to hard just time consuming. The 88 calipers and not even close to the same as my 86 so I learned a lot there.

Installed a new wiper switch and pulse board so I could have windshield wipers again, 91 s10 switch worked great. Just a pain to take the whole column apart to put that bad boy in.

New plugs, and a new a/c relay so I my blower motor would work again.

Got it out and have been driving it here and there, drove it to the dealership I work at a few times this week, about a 20 mile round trip, and it drove great. Part throttle miss in the 20-40mph range not sure if its do to the cam or old gas. Trying to run the gas down so I can put some fresh 93 in it and start some logging with my DHP. Cruises great at 60mph, plenty more left to do. New wideband on the way for starters and got an estimate for 2800 dollars to get it repainted which didn't sound to bad to me.

[This message has been edited by fierotrev2014 (edited 05-13-2017).]

notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2017 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2800.00 is a good price if the paint job is good.
Glad you got it out and cruising
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock