87 GT Recommendations by FamousAdventurer
Started on: 04-18-2017 07:36 PM
Replies: 4 (212 views)
Last post by: FamousAdventurer on 04-20-2017 01:30 AM
FamousAdventurer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2017 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FamousAdventurerSend a Private Message to FamousAdventurerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone,

I'm putting together my laundry list of work to do this summer, and I'm hoping to get some recommendations on parts/kits. Mostly I've just been browsing The Fiero Store, but am open to any recommendations.

In no particular order
-Headliner
-Polyurethane bushings
-Weatherstripping (Particularly the sunroof)
-Tail light cover/tail light replacement (Originals seem so hard to find and expensive, so I'm considering just installing one of the kits)
-Anti-bump steer kit

Thanks in advance for any advice you all can give me,

-FA
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2017 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you on a budget? What are you hoping to get out of what you are doing?

The FS headliner kit is easy to do yourself and it works fine so long as your headliner backing board is good, and you use proper contact cement. I redid mine recently and since I didn't have a sprayer, I used thin cement and a small paint roller. Turned out great.

FamousAdventurer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2017 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FamousAdventurerSend a Private Message to FamousAdventurerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My goals for this summer are to fix the majority of the cosmetic issues, make sure all the weatherstripping is in good condition, and do a few suspension upgrades in preparation for an engine swap in the next year or so.

I plan to do all the work myself (and with my dad), and have access to a well-equipped shop.

I love the styling as is, so I'd prefer to keep it close to the way it is, but am willing to make compromises for unavailable or unreasonably priced parts.

I'd describe my budget as willing to pay to do everything "right," but not unlimited.

Thanks for the info on the headliner kit.

lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2017 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few suggestions:

1. Anything you can get from Rodney, get from Rodney. Tie rod ends, for example. His stuff is solid.
2. The Fiero Store is a great resource. I have thousands of dollars of their parts on my Fiero, including their ABS headliner, which is great. And...*some* of their stuff is just not that great. Like the power door lock buttons.
3. Yes, GT tail lights are a problem without a good solution if you want to keep an OEM look. The external paint and clear process that someone here does is probably the best combination of cost and availability.
4. GT sail panels can be had readily, but they are not quite an exact OEM match. Unless you are doing a concours restoration they are just fine.

I've done shocks, struts, 1" lowering springs, rear tie rod ends, and front outer tie rod ends, and the steering damper on my Fiero. It does make a difference. It doesn't make it into a car that handles like my Sky.

I have not done the bump steer kit. And I don't personally know anyone who has. Would like to hear from those who've done it how much of a difference it makes.

Edit to add:
On the sunroof (known as the "Vista View" option), make sure you replace the tracks if they are degraded before you change the seal. If the car will be run in the rain, check for the weep holes in the groove. Add if needed. Be careful with the latch hardware- the handle mechanism is a bit hard to find in good condition.

[This message has been edited by lorennerol (edited 04-19-2017).]

FamousAdventurer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2017 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FamousAdventurerSend a Private Message to FamousAdventurerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lorennerol: Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately my tail light cover is cracked and torn to hell. Maybe I'll have luck at a pick-n-pull when I get home. Next option I'm considering are the GT Taillights from PISA. http://pisafierohq.com/lights/gt_taillights/

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock