Started on: 03-30-2017 10:15 AM
Replies: 10 (286 views)
Last post by: ltlfrari on 03-31-2017 09:50 AM
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2017 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ad on local Craigslist for Fiero items included 'Factory spare, never used' and it got me wondering if anyone has EVER used the factory spare at all.
After all, the tires on those things must be the originals and are 30 years old, so they are probably pretty useless as a spare.
I know (or at least have read on here) that the spare forms part of the front end crash protection and I have no problem with it being there for that but as a spare, is it actually any use these days.
In fact, can you even get a tire for that thing now?

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2017 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used on when my Fiero had a flat a few miles from home.

And here in Michigan, I swear people go the the junkyard and buy four rather than buy new tires.......
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2017 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used mine a couple of times- Once I cut a tire on a cover for a valve under the street that was not sitting properly- Actually got the city to pay for the ruined tire.

Since I have converted my Fiero to 88 brakes with 12" front discs, I had to convert to a larger wheel to clear the brakes...Found one from a Subaru in the JY....It's ....younger.....

Yes, you can still get new spare tires...But, since the tire is never exposed to sunlight, and is relatively protected in the tub, it should hold up for a long time...My old spare is still "Looking good"....I am never going to use it....but it doesn't look rotted or anything. Number one thing that you can do to make the spare hold up during use is to keep you speed under 55....Actually, they say they are rated for 50 only....oh, yeah, make sure it's aired up properly, too....They slowly lose air, so at least once a year pump it up!
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2017 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did use the spare tire in my Fiero a couple times, many years ago.

One car that I bought in 2011 had a bad spare tire. It looked like it had a massive blow-out or something. The local tire shop was able to replace it. That car had a 14" 'space saver' spare, which I think is about the same size as the Fiero.
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2017 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The last time I used my spare was last year returning home from the Hot Rod Power Tour. Had a blow out south of Texarkana. Road on the spare from there to south of Lafayette, La. with no issues. I will admit however that my spare was relatively new (not 30 years old).
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2017 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

And here in Michigan, I swear people go the the junkyard and buy four rather than buy new tires.......

Hey, it worked. I saw them driving on I-75 north of Atlanta.

I used one on my first Fiero. Dropped the full size in the trunk after moving all my stuff to the front seat and floor. Had to leave the deck lid open, of course. If you're hard pressed for space and have a wing on a notchback, the tire on top of the deck lid won't go anywhere.
Marko

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2017 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkoSend a Private Message to MarkoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My '85 still has a factory fresh spare tire with air from the factory.

Has the little rubber nubs on the treads, and looks like it just rolled out of the factory.

The scizzor jack still has the rubber anti-rattle band on it in brand new condition.
Never been out of the car.

------------------
Marko.

'85 SE 2M6 Muncie 4 speed.
a.k.a "The Rumble Seat"

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2017 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never used the spare on a running/driving Fiero, however I am guilty of using 4 of them on a parts car.
Curtisk1060

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2017 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Curtisk1060Send a Private Message to Curtisk1060Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used one in an emergency on my 88 one time with no problems as it was close to home. My son has used his on his 87 GT multiple times as he had a few unfortunate instances, they worked fine for him and he put them in for the next time, as needed, it is still the original donut tire.. Curtis
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2017 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They were old at ~10 years and most have "dry rot" rubber from Ozone and other air pollution stored in a car.

Nobody should use a 30+ year old tire or a spare.
Any damage that expose the cord then junk them ASAP. Even small crack let in water and other crap then will "eat" the cord.
Even if look ok on outside... most are filled w/ "shop air" containing oil water etc that can attack inside of the tire rim or both.

You can get a new mounted spare from tirerack and others.
You can get just the tire but many places will not mount a spare. 1 reason is many spare rims have problem from rust etc and spares like Fiero uses need 60psi.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2017 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See, that was my thought. Tires have a shelf life and I'm pretty sure it does not extend out to 30 plus years! It might 'look' OK but is it really?

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay