Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Anyone have experience buying a Fiero in Canada and bringing it into the US?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone have experience buying a Fiero in Canada and bringing it into the US? by PARAD0X
Started on: 03-25-2017 10:11 AM
Replies: 27 (678 views)
Last post by: PARAD0X on 05-29-2017 03:23 PM
PARAD0X

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the process of buying a Fiero from Canada, and am just looking to see if anyone has experience in getting one from up there ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've brought two Fieros across the border going the other way. The paperwork was straightforward enough... but it was a couple of border agents from both countries that made it a miserable experience for me. Some individuals shouldn't be allowed to deal with the public, especially while in a position of authority.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-25-2017).]

PARAD0X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I've brought two Fieros across the border going the other way. The paperwork was straightforward enough... but it was a couple of border agents from both countries that made it a miserable experience for me. Some individuals shouldn't be allowed to deal with the public, especially while in a position of authority.

Did you drive them or ship them? What was it like at customs?
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I've brought two Fieros across the border going the other way. The paperwork was straightforward enough...

...but it was a couple of border agents from both countries that made it a miserable experience for me.
Some individuals shouldn't be allowed to deal with the public, especially while in a position of authority.

I think the get special training for that - if they weren't already asshats when they joined.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PARAD0X:

Did you drive them or ship them? What was it like at customs?

We trailered them, as neither car ran. Even though I had all the paperwork in order, and I've never had any brushes with the law, I was treated like I was attempting to smuggle drugs across the border.

Originally posted by fierosound:

I think the get special training for that - if they weren't already asshats when they joined.

I gotta say, a few border agents I've met are actually nice enough, but man oh man, some of them are complete... yep, asshats.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know at least one nice one when we go through the border....of course he's my brother in law, so he has to be nice to us...
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hat did you buy and from which province?
PARAD0X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2017 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jjd2296:

What did you buy and from which province?

Well, the deal isn't finalized, so I'd rather not say anything yet, but the car is up in your neck of the woods. It's going to be a pretty extensive trip, but well worth it. I'll share once it's a done deal.

[This message has been edited by PARAD0X (edited 03-27-2017).]

canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2017 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I purchased a gorgeous low mileage 1985 Fiero GT off eBay that was owned by a PFF member and had it shipped by a Canadian transport company to Canada without any problems. The Canadian transport Company looked after the import paperwork and all I had to do was supply them with the original title and bill of sale.
I sold the Fiero to another fellow in Canada and years later the previous PFF owner purchased it back and had it shipped to the U.S. by a US transport company without any issues.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2017 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm...stab in the dark here...Bubajoexxx/2m8's car, at a guess.
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2017 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's probably a good guess as he doesn't have it posted for sale anymore
PFF
System Bot
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2017 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://oppositelock.kinja.c...erience-o-1788427851

This is an article I wrote about my friend's experience importing a truck back to the USA. It should give you some good info.

------------------
'16 STI
'04 Mazda RX8
My former Fiero- '88 GT- 3800 Turbo 11.367@121.03mph (Sold and gone now)
GM Tuners

Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2017 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haul cars back and forth from US to Canada, its a straight forward process. If you don't want to do the leg work yourself I can recommend a broker who will do all the paperwork for you, fee is around 100-150.
PARAD0X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2017 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, no, it's not bubbajoe's car. I've been looking into shipping and so far carriers / brokers want $1,500 plus customs fees at the low end $2,500 at the high end). I can fly in and drive it home for less than half of the lower end quotes. I'm leaning that way at the moment. I've got a little while before I have to make the final decision, I just want to make sure I don't get hung up at the border.

PARAD0X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2017 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PARAD0X

121 posts
Member since Feb 2017

Originally posted by AkursedX:

http://oppositelock.kinja.c...erience-o-1788427851

This is an article I wrote about my friend's experience importing a truck back to the USA. It should give you some good info.

Pm sent
PARAD0X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2017 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PARAD0X

121 posts
Member since Feb 2017

Originally posted by Quad GT:

I haul cars back and forth from US to Canada, its a straight forward process. If you don't want to do the leg work yourself I can recommend a broker who will do all the paperwork for you, fee is around 100-150.

PM returned
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2017 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, the deal isn't finalized, so I'd rather not say anything yet, but the car is up in your neck of the woods. It's going to be a pretty extensive trip, but well worth it. I'll share once it's a done deal.

I know, i know !! No worries though i won't spill the beans. 😉 Glad this is working out. Still jealous. 👍 Tony

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 03-27-2017).]

PARAD0X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2017 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

I know, i know !! No worries though i won't spill the beans. 😉 Glad this is working out. Still jealous. 👍 Tony

Haha shhh. Yep this is moving towards a wonderful result, just trying to get the logistics handled.

PARAD0X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2017 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A member is doing me a solid and is going to take a look at the car for me. I might have found a way to get the car here without me having to grab a new passport. Fingers crossed.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2017 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A member is doing me a solid and is going to take a look at the car for me. I might have found a way to get the car here without me having to grab a new passport. Fingers crossed.
👍👍👍👍

PARAD0X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2017 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Payment has been accepted, and the car just needs to be recovered. More details coming. In the meantime, here is the car in question...

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-1-082747.html

PFF
System Bot
PARAD0X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2017 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took a while for the check to clear. For anyone interested in buying a car across US borders, something to keep in mind... I sent a bank drawn cashier's check. Even though my bank has a location in Toronto, the seller deposited it into their bank. Well, their bank put a 15 day hold on the check because it had a US origin and was in US currency. I got the text Friday that they finally released the funds and that the car could be retrieved.

When the seller tried to start the car, it was turning over but wouldn't start. He didn't want to mess with it since he was sacrificing it anyway, and knocked roughly 25 - 30% off the purchase price. There are a couple of forum members up there that are going to help me out by grabbing the car and trying to sort out the starting issue. The car did sit for a while, so the tank will be dropped and the fuel system will be gone through up there to see if it can be resolved easily. If it's more complicated, I'll have it trailered down.

I know I'm taking a risk here, but I already have a running and driving '85 GT, a spare 3800 SC, and a rust free space frame that someone went through the expense of fully powder coating to use for any issues. I figure being able to buy Italo's old car for a smidge above $2k was something I couldn't resist. The wheels and tires alone probably would have cost me what I paid for the car. The fact that it has a 3800SC in it already, with a ton of custom body touches, just made it that much harder to turn down. I'll try to have more news this month.

[This message has been edited by PARAD0X (edited 05-07-2017).]

PARAD0X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2017 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are a few more recent pics of the car....

My favorite...sort of. I kind of wish they hadn't molded in the fender flares like this. The lines would have been much cleaner without them. Not to offend whoever did them, but they left it looking kind of lumpy and uneven. I'm going to see if it's possible to remove the flares.

It didn't look as exaggerated here, I would have been perfectly happy with this.

I'm not going to lie, I'm definitely not a fan of this...

It will have to go.

Edit to add an engine bay pic... It will need to be tidied up a bit...

[This message has been edited by PARAD0X (edited 05-08-2017).]

PARAD0X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mario (Quad GT) just picked the car up for me. He brought a spare battery and some "super fuel". They got the car to start, but it has really old gas in it, and needs to be looked over, so he didn't run it much. Jon, the previous was reluctant to give the car up, and I'm sure it stings a bit, but I'm definitely going to take care of it. He'll be happy with what I do, I'm sure. Here the car is as Mario picked it up for me...

The red interior will be for sale in the Mall as soon as the car gets here haha.
PARAD0X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car is out of the shop and running. It turns out it was a wire / connection. It had something to do with fuel injector pulse...? Anyway, I'll be starting the process of getting it home next week.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2017 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats man !! So glad i could help this baby finda new home ! Can't wait to see what you do with her.
PARAD0X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2017 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Congrats man !! So glad i could help this baby finda new home ! Can't wait to see what you do with her.

Thanks Tony. I owe you big time. Quad GT has been helping me behind the scenes as well, great guy, can't say enough good things about him. He said my car is faster than his 3800 swap. Joe Trentadue built this car but I can't pin him down for a build summary, and Jon didn't give any info. So, at this point I have no idea what the car has had done already. I do know it's not a stock 3800SC, it has Vette brakes, and it's lowered to the point where the shop couldn't get anything under it to raise it.

I have a F23, a different interior, and some other goodies waiting for it. I need to see what condition the space frame is in rust wise. There might be a healthy mall thread coming to slim down some of what I had colllected since this is making me rethink some stuff.
PARAD0X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2017 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Need a bodywork guy. The rear fender flares and glasswork around them need to be fixed. Prefer someone in the southern US. I sent Jimmy S at Fiero Fiberglass an email. Still taking names.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock