Wow, 40 mile range by wgpierce
Started on: 03-23-2017 10:21 PM
Replies: 27 (896 views)
Last post by: Rsvl-Rider on 04-10-2017 11:04 PM
wgpierce

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2017 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How unique. I wonder how fast it is??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/198...AOSwsW9YzyC7&vxp=mtr

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2017 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
40 miles isn't bad for a homebuilt. My question is why it has a 5 spd trans. Most EVs have a single spd trans, don't they?
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2017 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw that too. Kind of intriguing actually. I drive my GT everyday but most weekdays I might only drive a few miles. Certainly less than the 40 mile range. So, depending on the performance, it could be fun.
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2017 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

40 miles isn't bad for a homebuilt. My question is why it has a 5 spd trans. Most EVs have a single spd trans, don't they?

Looks like there's adapters readily available.
http://www.evwest.com/catal...j2l1p4eqh38pvdui3db3
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2017 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me see --- 20 batteries at a medium price of $200.00 each is 4 grand ---- nope.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-24-2017 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Most don't have transmissions really. Torque output is regulated by altering the current flow, and reverse is just reversing the current flow. A lot of conversions though will keep the original transmission from the car, mostly out of novelty/simplicity, though.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2017 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No AC. Maybe it gets too warm. 40 miles, and then you have to charge? Not practical, here. I can't think of anywhere I go that's less than 40 miles, round trip. Churches, eateries, etc don't provide charging ports. I wonder how long it takes to charge.
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2017 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty interested in this one actually. My sister lives in Fresno where it is located and I've always thought an electric Fiero would be pretty awesome. Also blue 87 GT is on my to get list lol.
I asked the seller some questions about the performance, but haven't heard back yet. What scares me most is low power. The manufacturer rated it for cars up to around 3000lbs and that Fiero weighs 2500, but I read somewhere else that the motor puts out around 40hp and 70ft-lbs torque. Which if that's the case its probably slower than my go-cart :'(
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2017 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a DC motor that has tons of torque.

Horsepower with electric motors is treated a bit different than ICE, as it delivers that HP almost all the time, while ICE only at a momentary peak RPM that has to build up to it through the power curve.

Depending on his battery setup (volts/amps) that motor can kick more than 40hp. The test data on the motor website is tested at 72 volt battery packs. Most EV's are higher than that.

I'm in the process of converting my Fiero into an EV. Although I'm not going for range so much, but things have really changed in the EV world.

I don't know how long ago this Fiero was converted, but you can get a nice setup, power and range that is reasonable cost nowadays that is much better than the one posted on Ebay, although I wouldn't turn that one down.

This dude made a cool setup. Took some coin and it's a bit old (in EV world perspective 2012). It's like computer technology. A lot has changed from 5-years ago and a lot will change in the future because of what Tesla and other automobile makers and battery manufactures are doing.

Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2017 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by liv4God:

I'm pretty interested in this one actually. My sister lives in Fresno where it is located and I've always thought an electric Fiero would be pretty awesome. Also blue 87 GT is on my to get list lol.
I asked the seller some questions about the performance, but haven't heard back yet. What scares me most is low power. The manufacturer rated it for cars up to around 3000lbs and that Fiero weighs 2500, but I read somewhere else that the motor puts out around 40hp and 70ft-lbs torque. Which if that's the case its probably slower than my go-cart :'(

I asked him a couple of questions about handling and performance / acceleration from standing stop, around town and freeway. This was his response...

"Handling is essentially the same as stock. Acceleration in first gear feels same as stock, but each higher gear has progressively less acceleration, because you are limited in horsepower."
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rsvl-Rider:

I asked him a couple of questions about handling and performance / acceleration from standing stop, around town and freeway. This was his response...

"Handling is essentially the same as stock. Acceleration in first gear feels same as stock, but each higher gear has progressively less acceleration, because you are limited in horsepower."

It isn't a motor I would put in mine, but it is common in old EV converted vehicles for that brand of DC motor.

I would go AC motor all the way. But cost do go up a bit for that setup.

http://www.go-ev.com/PDFs/0..._ImPulse_9_Graph.pdf

PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You can row through gears with no clutch, the drive shaft on an electric car stops when you take your foot off the peddle.. Back on holiday's dad did an electric car conversion and i think he squeezed 50 miles out of it per a charge, Me and him don't really talk anymore so i couldent get you any more info, He's on his yearly period.

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by liv4God:

That's not an original blue.

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-25-2017 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
That's not an original blue.

It's obviously been painted. It also has 88 wheels. It possibly could have been originally a blue car.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This would be a great deal for someone who wants to play around with an EV project. If I could get it for $1,500-$2,000, I would grab it.... just not practical to get it back up to Canada.

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 03-26-2017).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As for the transmission, you are comparing a brand new factory built EV to a home-built one. With that small DC motor performance would be horrible without the transmission to help it out. Modern EVs with their much more powerful AC motors still have transmissions, they are just much more sophisticated and have more clever ways (planetary gears) to get the power to the wheels.
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

With that small DC motor performance would be horrible without the transmission to help it out.

Very true, while reading through documentation on the motor and similar ones by the same manufacturer the motors were rated at about half the weight for straight drive vs transmissioned.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The AC motors used in commercially built EVs can rev up a lot higher and maintain said RPMs indefinitely. Therefore they can have a single-speed gear reduction with a lot higher of a ratio than you find in any engine driven car, so they have torque on take off, and plenty of RPM to get to high speed.

These DC motors operate in a similar RPM range as an ICE, and unless you stuff a huge one in there with a huge controller, you can't do "direct-drive" (single speed). An 11" motor with a 1000-amp controller might get you there in a Fiero. This has a 9" motor (and not even the good "Warp" motor) and probably a 500-amp controller (doesn't say). The batteries he's using will greatly impact the peak output of the motor as well, as they wont sustain a huge load for long. However you look at it, it needs a transmission.

This setup will do ok bombing around town, and might suffice for a brief sprint down the highway, but that's about it. The car is too heavy, the motor, batteries, etc, are too small.

For comparison, the DC Plasma Fiero has twin 9" Warp motors and 2x 1000a (or were they 2000?) controllers. Even then, they have a 2-speed automatic transmission attached to it, just with no torque converter.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stubby79:

The AC motors used in commercially built EVs can rev up a lot higher and maintain said RPMs indefinitely. Therefore they can have a single-speed gear reduction with a lot higher of a ratio than you find in any engine driven car, so they have torque on take off, and plenty of RPM to get to high speed.

These DC motors operate in a similar RPM range as an ICE, and unless you stuff a huge one in there with a huge controller, you can't do "direct-drive" (single speed). An 11" motor with a 1000-amp controller might get you there in a Fiero. This has a 9" motor (and not even the good "Warp" motor) and probably a 500-amp controller (doesn't say). The batteries he's using will greatly impact the peak output of the motor as well, as they wont sustain a huge load for long. However you look at it, it needs a transmission.

This setup will do ok bombing around town, and might suffice for a brief sprint down the highway, but that's about it. The car is too heavy, the motor, batteries, etc, are too small.

For comparison, the DC Plasma Fiero has twin 9" Warp motors and 2x 1000a (or were they 2000?) controllers. Even then, they have a 2-speed automatic transmission attached to it, just with no torque converter.

All good info.

bottom line is EVs are not cheap or easy to build home built or from a factory. It's a fun hobby but outside of California it's not really practical. The lack of Air Conditioning kills it in Texas.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 03-26-2017).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-26-2017 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stubby79:

The DC Plasma Fiero is built only for drag racing. As a daily driver, its range is probably really bad as well.

Remember, peak torque on electric motors is at 0 RPM. This is why production EVs don't have transmissions. You don't need to increase torque through gear ratios to get the car rolling, when peak torque is at 0 RPM. ICEs have transmissions because the torque range is not flat at peak and then a predictable drop-off from peak.

This is why EVs are horrible for long haul trips, but really great for people who live in the city and their entire trip is light-to-light stop and go traffic. At 0 RPM there is no electricity being used, and you have peak torque. This is also why hybrids are good for mostly city driving, and still only get average MPG ratings for the highway.

For most people in urban/suburban areas, a 40 mile range will do just fine, especially if there is a charger at the office parking lot for EVs. If you have to travel more than 15 miles to work, and there is no charger, most EVs are not a good option, even the costly production ones.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

The DC Plasma Fiero is built only for drag racing. As a daily driver, its range is probably really bad as well.

Remember, peak torque on electric motors is at 0 RPM. This is why production EVs don't have transmissions. You don't need to increase torque through gear ratios to get the car rolling, when peak torque is at 0 RPM. ICEs have transmissions because the torque range is not flat at peak and then a predictable drop-off from peak.

This is why EVs are horrible for long haul trips, but really great for people who live in the city and their entire trip is light-to-light stop and go traffic. At 0 RPM there is no electricity being used, and you have peak torque. This is also why hybrids are good for mostly city driving, and still only get average MPG ratings for the highway.

For most people in urban/suburban areas, a 40 mile range will do just fine, especially if there is a charger at the office parking lot for EVs. If you have to travel more than 15 miles to work, and there is no charger, most EVs are not a good option, even the costly production ones.

You and I agree on this. In sprawling urban areas like Houston a Nissan Leaf would be a challenge. Its 100 mile range is more like 80 miles in the real world and that's when it's factory new and as soon as you switch on the a/c the range drops to about 60 miles. A drive to the other side of town and back is easily 100 miles and there are few if any places to plug in. An EV is a horrible choice here for most people.
PFF
System Bot
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2017 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a leaf, you lose about 5 miles in range with the AC on. The area you live in doesn't make the car less practical, it's all dependant on your commute.

The leafs are getting cheap enough they will be good donors for diy conversions. I'm looking forward to the price drop in lithium ion cells not that we have better batteries made here in the US, overseas manufactures will have to lower prices to stay competitive.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2017 04:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

I have a leaf, you lose about 5 miles in range with the AC on. The area you live in doesn't make the car less practical, it's all dependant on your commute.

I'm sorry I don't believe this at all.

I test drove a leaf, (not the same as owning it I understand) but soon as I turned on the a/c the projected range dropped by at least 30 miles. Maybe the computer is pessimistic, but I can just imagine crawling in rush hour traffic with the a/c cranking and draining the battery while not moving forward. In LA it's not a problem because you don't need a lot of a/c.

Also not sure where you live but in Houston a/c is a year round thing. And the summer heat kills the batteries. Where you live absolutely makes the car less practical. Not to mention there no fast chargers anywhere in Houston (not that the Leaf can use them anyway). Electric cars here get no special tax credits or car pool lanes. Where you live makes a huge difference.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2017 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in dallas, the leaf has a 30 minute quick charge that gets you to 80% if equipped with the option and nissan dealers have the chargers. Chances are there are more charging stations in your area than you realize but you shouldn't buy one if your commute depended on a charging station. What I said is absolutely true, the commute is what matters, not the region.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Houston EV chargers, many of them are the chadmemo 30 minute chargers.

Clearly, electric cars aren't for everyone but they are practical commuter cars for some, with better cars like the Model 3 hitting the market, more and more people will be able to afford and feel comfortable with the range of electric cars. The charging infrastructure is better than most realize.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 04-04-2017).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2017 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jmbishop

4484 posts
Member since Jul 2006

Originally posted by jscott1:

soon as I turned on the a/c the projected range dropped by at least 30 miles. Maybe the computer is pessimistic,

Leaf owners call that the "GuessOmeter".
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2017 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

I'm in dallas, the leaf has a 30 minute quick charge that gets you to 80% if equipped with the option and nissan dealers have the chargers. Chances are there are more charging stations in your area than you realize but you shouldn't buy one if your commute depended on a charging station. What I said is absolutely true, the commute is what matters, not the region.
Clearly, electric cars aren't for everyone but they are practical commuter cars for some, with better cars like the Model 3 hitting the market, more and more people will be able to afford and feel comfortable with the range of electric cars. The charging infrastructure is better than most realize.

They are definitely not for me although I am intrigued by the technology. The 30 minute chargers aren't really my style if I have to go spend 30 minutes at the cracker barrel just to make it home. I get mad if I have a slow gas pump and it takes more than 3 minutes to fill up my car. I want an electric car with 250 mile range and recharge in 3 minutes. That's what I have now with ICE car and won't settle for anything less.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2017 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if same person Seller 8shark was a user here (shark93726) and sold suspension parts but drop of the planet 10+ years ago.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-10-2017).]

Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2017 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like it's been posted on eBay again. It was "sold" but now relisted. Probably a non-paying buyer, or maybe the buyer backed out after inspecting the car.

Wondering if the winning bidder is on here, and what they might have learned about the car...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock