Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  I actually got quite a few compliments on my Fiero!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
I actually got quite a few compliments on my Fiero! by cvxjet
Started on: 03-20-2017 04:02 PM
Replies: 21 (641 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 04-03-2017 12:19 AM
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2017 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went out to Modesto to pick up a proportioning valve for my 88 brake conversion....Stopped at a gas station and a couple of people were checking her out and then complimented me on the car....Then at the JY three separate people came up and asked about it, and then complimented the car, too.....all but one knew what a Fiero was but still liked them.

I live in the SF Bay area- east bay to be exact...90% of the time I catch H-E-double toothpicks for owning a Fi-er-O...The flammable car, the junky 'merican car, etc...Most of the younger set around here "know" how imports rule and American cars suck.....Modesto was a really nice change of pace...almost felt like I had a car that was worthy of...praise.....

Then, on the way home, it caught fire! (Just kidding...)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
larafan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2017 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larafanSend a Private Message to larafanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I read that and the last line got me. I laughed out loud. I find people are fascinated by them. Young ones don't know what they are.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2017 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice twist at the end.

Got any pictures?
retroman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2017 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by larafan:

I read that and the last line got me. I laughed out loud. I find people are fascinated by them. Young ones don't know what they are.

Agreed, I've had mine "under construction" for the last 5 years, but when I did drive it, I'd get all kinds of looks from the younger crowd. Kids working the Drive-Thru loved it, even though it looked like a rat rod (unintentionally) from 25+ years of use and abuse.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2017 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This site doesn't like my photographic.......taste...? I could email some pics to someone to post....It's an 85 SE V6 I've owned since new....after 13 years the paint on the top parts fell off(Parked outside it's whole life!) so I went to the JY and picked up a new roof, hood, and a 86-88 GT decklid and quarter clip.....Plus IMSA side scoops and custom "B" pillars I designed myself....Oh and also a 87-88 nose.

Let me know if any of you are willing to help out a computer illiterate....Where do I apply the hammer?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2017 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I could email some pics to someone to post... Let me know if any of you are willing to help out a computer illiterate....

It ain't rocket science ... but send them to the email address in my Profile and I'll post them for you.
busa_powered

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2017 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There isn't a day that goes by when I get gas someone comments about my car.

But then again, it's paint is 8 months old and it's an Ls4 conversion with no mufflers or cats so
There is no missing it

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2017 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

...I'll post them for you.

And here they are... from cvxjet.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-21-2017).]

trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2017 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! That looks good! That looks REALLY good!
larafan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2017 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for larafanSend a Private Message to larafanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

After fresh paint, just finished getting it back together this weekend. Drove it first day yesterday, people were shocked.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2017 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Always thought that the early Fieros looked best in black....That is a beautiful car...And an LS4- The ultimate Fiero engine in my book.

The side view of mine has actually been modified(In paint) to show the tail spoiler and the slight mod at the front top of the door. I have already done a practice spoiler on a ruined decklid...just waiting for warm weather to start in...The front door mod I haven't figured out how to do. The "B" pillar is a 1/8" aluminum piece I curved with a hydraulic press, then made 3 hooks and a front piece and a friend welded them on, painted to match the wheel centers- twists on, then 1 screw into a nylon expanding nut in the original body...and a G6 arrowhead to finish it off.
PFF
System Bot
larafan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2017 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for larafanSend a Private Message to larafanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is actually a L67 and hybrid 4spd. I wondered about your B-pillar, nice treatment, looks like it came that way.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2017 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whoops! I missed that Busa was the one with the LS4...Well, next most logical engine would be any 3800 conversion. I am thinking of doing the 3500 or 3900- but the computer stuff has me scared- BCM crap really seems over the top...If someone made a stand-alone engine control that could pass CA smog I'd give 'em my right arm.....Ok, I need that one for shifting...what don't I use when driving....Hmmmmmmm

I appreciate the words on my "B" pillar- I have basically tried to make what I feel would have been the best looking Fiero that could have come from the factory...I try to make things look factory rather than add-on.

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 03-21-2017).]

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a very subtle but beautiful Fiero. You have a great eye.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really do appreciate the compliments....But now I've peaked....have nothing to live for...Good bye cruel world!....Wait, wait- I have to finish the spoiler!...Install the headliner...fix the brakes.....install a better engine...tighten the "loose nut" behind the steering wheel...customize the tail li- HEY! That last was an insult!!! Dang it!
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I live in the SF Bay area- east bay to be exact...90% of the time I catch H-E-double toothpicks for owning a Fi-er-O...The flammable car, the junky 'merican car, etc...Most of the younger set around here "know" how imports rule and American cars suck....

I have to say that sounds strange to me. In three years of alternately driving my two GT daily drivers I have never heard a negative comment. In gas stations, parking lots and occasionally at stop lights I mostly I hear things like, "Wow, you don't see many of those any more" or, "Hey, looks great, you've really kept it nice!" or the ever popular "My brother, sister, cousin, best friend, English professor, yada, yada, yada, used to have one of those".

Just a couple of days ago I was filling up the white GT with the stripes on it and a younger guy (early twenties I guess) asked me if it was a new car (meaning was it a brand new model). I liked that one.

Hey CVXJET, the car is looking great! I'm still waiting for you to make the trip up here. Did you complete the power steering project?

[This message has been edited by Rsvl-Rider (edited 03-22-2017).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know why I get so much neg' comments on my car....But I do here in the east bay....I was just amazed at the response out in Modesto..Maybe I should move there!

And yes, I have the power steering all done- I been working out my arms and now it's much easier to turn...(I am planning on installing a C4 Vette rack and already have a MR2 Spyder Electric pump that I can mount up front).....Time, time, time...I plan on getting up there very soon, with the 84 jack, which is still in my Fiero's trunk. I've been having fun with the rear trany mount- custom mount I built...But now I'm getting a strong vibration/sound out of it.....
crt454

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2017 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crt454Send a Private Message to crt454Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking Fiero. Would you mind posting some more detailed pics of your door mod? I think that looks absolutely amazing, and gives it much better lines.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2017 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tomorrow morning I will get someone to post more pics; The panels are 1/8" aluminum that was curved on a press- Tried to curve it on a set of rollers, but it's just a little too stiff. Also, the panels are slightly twisted. I then made a piece to fit at the front, and three"Hooks"- 2 on the bottom that hook on the window mounting edge, and 1 that hooks on the front edge of the quarter panel piece. You hook it on the bottom edge and then twist it to hook the last one. I used a couple of nylon expanding nuts that I installed into holes cut into the "Q" panels, and ran counter-sunk screws through the aluminum to lock it in place, then covered those screws with G6 trunk emblems. (A friend welded the hooks and front piece on, and another friend painted them the same color as the center of my wheels).

The quarter windows I bonded on using black RTV silicone- I wanted the windows to be inset a little- like the door glass...I also used two more(Per side) of the nylon nuts, and CS screws + washers to "lock" the windows so that even if the RTV failed, the glass would not be able to fall off.

I originally tried to make them out of plexi and then ABS- But there were problems with both. At first, I wanted to make them look like the engine grills on the GT, so it would have continuity....Someone, with skill and patience, could make fiberglass ones that would copy the grill pattern.

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 04-02-2017).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2017 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cvxjet

3651 posts
Member since May 2010
I just realized that CRT454 was talking about the front top edge of the door(Don't reply late at night!)....I actually haven't been able to figure out how to do that- I modded the photo in paint. I wanted the line of the door to intersect the fender/hood line. I have been looking at different options....Possibly splitting the top of the door and then patching it with an extra piece of door skin, or just making an aluminum piece and mounting it. Part of the problem is that the easiest way would be to mount it to the body rather than the door- but then that would leave a line between the door and the piece which I would like to avoid. I will keep thinking about it....does anyone smell smoke...?
crt454

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2017 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crt454Send a Private Message to crt454Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking of going for the same look as that door mod on my car. However, I was just going to take the easy route and paint it on. It would be more of an illusion than anything at the point though and I opted against it.
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2017 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It appears to be such an easy, small mod....But it really seems intractable...I haven't been able to figure an easy way to do it....I will post a full description of how I made it work....IF I make it work!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock