Another Fiero build by 1fstfiero
Started on: 03-16-2017 08:30 PM
Replies: 23 (821 views)
Last post by: Spadesluck on 09-23-2018 11:42 PM
1fstfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2017 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fstfieroSend a Private Message to 1fstfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all i have finally started to work on the fiero again. It all started with this vision of a twin turbo v6 rear engine beast. Now i know some of you say that's over kill, i actually agree, that's why im building it. This is what the car started out looking like.

And this is where it is now. The interior is almost complete. Only have the center console to finish. I will update as the progress moves along.

[This message has been edited by 1fstfiero (edited 03-18-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1fstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2017 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fstfieroSend a Private Message to 1fstfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well apparently the pictures got mixed up, i really hate the internet. Its started out as a tan interior car, it is now black and red. Here is another pic.

Edit. I figured it out, threads are worthless with out pictures.

[This message has been edited by 1fstfiero (edited 03-18-2017).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2017 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking forward to watching how this progresses.

You should use PIP (Pennock's Image Poster - located at the bottom of the page) for posting all images. Better than people having to follow links, plus no risk of the pics suddenly disappearing later on.
1fstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2017 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fstfieroSend a Private Message to 1fstfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with you about the picture posting, where is this PIP you speak of. I don't see it.
1fstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2017 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fstfieroSend a Private Message to 1fstfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1fstfiero

31 posts
Member since Jun 2015
The next thing I am moving on to is the suspension and brakes. Are the 88 rear adjustable trailing arms really make a huge difference or should I stay with the stock rear trailing arms and add Polyurethane bushings. In the front I am going to change everything over to the Polyurethane on everything, new sway bar end links, new tie rod ends, and new ball joints. To add to the suspension I am going to do coilovers on all four corners with the koni yellow shocks and 400lb springs in the front and 300lb in the rear. Then I am going to take stock 88 front sway bar, move it to the back and buy an aftermarket sway far for the front.

For brakes, I'm kind of torn, are the stock calipers really not that great. I was thinking about doing the stock calipers all around but adding EBC yellow pads and cross drilled and hatched stock size rotors and stainless steal brake lines. This unit already has the over sized brake master and booster.

I will be doing new rear bearing hub assembly and possibly the front drop hubs.

What do you guys recommend I do different or what is a better set up.

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2017 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fstfiero:
Then I am going to take stock 88 front sway bar, move it to the back and buy an aftermarket sway far for the front.

That's an 84-87 mod, not an 88 thing.

88 Formula and 88 GT Fieros were equipped from the factory with rear sway bars. Try to grab one of those factory setups, or look at photos and try duplicating that yourself.

PIP: //www.fiero.nl/pip.html
1fstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2017 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fstfieroSend a Private Message to 1fstfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is an 88 and I don't have a rear sway bar. It's a notch though.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2017 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, so either get or copy the 88 Formula/GT setup and add it to your 88 Coupe Fiero.
1fstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2017 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fstfieroSend a Private Message to 1fstfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Makes sense. What do you thin about the adjustable rear trailing arms?
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2017 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the lateral links (not a trailing arm) in the 88 rear already has a turnbuckle for length adjustment; I would think that the factory setup would give you the necessary adjustments to perform an alignment.

EBC pads is a good idea. SS brake hoses are questionable, I would prefer to install new rubber hoses. I would stick with 88 calipers and rotors, then if you're not satisfied, change to something else. They're already considered "big-brakes" compared to the 84-87 brakes, so you may not need more.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 03-18-2017).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2017 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coilovers on front will require new or modified lower control arms. The stock control arms shock mounting points are not able to handle the spring pressure.
The stock suspension is actually really good, on both ends of the car.
Fieroguru has done a lot of modeling and has developed 88 specific parts to improve handling, especially when lowering the car.
Your spring rate selection is awfully high unless it is specifically destined for track use.
Corvette rotors/88 callers is a good upgrade over the stock sized rotors, especially if you are going with larger diameter rims and wide low profile tires.
The addition of a rear bar is a great upgrade. I'm not aware of any aftermarket bars for the 88. You will want to find a stock 88 rear bar.
Good luck with your project.
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2017 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had 300 lb/in on the rear of my daily driven Fiero. It was reasonably plush for a sports car.

In the front, remember that the springs push on the lower wishbone, so the effective spring rate at the wheel is much lower.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2017 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GMs approach to handling for years was to stiffen and prevent roll, while the European designers paid more attention to good suspension geometry throughout suspension travel and kept the spring rates soft, allowing body roll.
Neither was totally correct, we now see a combination of both philosophies, and the addition of variable rate damping.
As long as the car is balanced, handling will be good.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2017 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fstfiero:

I agree with you about the picture posting, where is this PIP you speak of. I don't see it.

Look for the small red and blue rectangle at the bottom / middle of the page (just above the copyright). Click on it, install PIP and follow the directions.
1fstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2017 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fstfieroSend a Private Message to 1fstfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you everyone for the replies. The reason for the high spring rate in the front is for track use. I want the springs to transfer the weight to the rear at acceleration and absorb weight when stopping. I just realized I can not do coil overs in the front, I was kind of thinking about that when I couldn't find anything on them. I want to lower the car a little bit maybe 1.5 inches, I'm thinking the west coast fiero coil over kit may be best.

For the rear I can not find an aftermarket sway bars, that's why I thought people said they use the 88 front on the rear and buy an aftermarket for the front. If that is not the case, I will try and find an 88 rear sway bar. There really are not to many intermediate suspension mods for these cars, what I mean by that is there are full track set ups and full street set ups, what's in between, stock? I want to make this car fun on the track but also street able.

The street tire set up in the rear will be a 10 1/2 wide by 19 or 20, The reason for such a wide tire is I want to do either the IMSA kit or the V8 Archie wide body. I am torn between the two, the big factor here is do I really need to spend 5k on a body kit, probably not. For the front I will do 1 size smaller compared to witch ever rear I choose. The tires will be R888s all around.

Transmission is going to be an f23, this unit is already purchased.

Engine is a 2001 L36, this engine will be 100% built, not an inch untouched. The reason I went L36 is because I'm going to rebuilt with forged parts anyways and not use the supercharger, so why buy extra parts I don't need. Exact details on the engine are still up in the air based on I do not know what exact parts I want to use yet. Which turbos are really the hold up.

Again thank you all for the input, I will add pictures (the right way) as I stock to move forward. All of you here are great help and very knowledgeable, I have learned a lot learking around here. Not like other car forums I am a part of.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2017 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out fieroguru's lateral link relocation kit for the rear, and carefully read his various build threads.
1fstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2017 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fstfieroSend a Private Message to 1fstfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will do.
1fstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2017 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fstfieroSend a Private Message to 1fstfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Order update, I have ordered all these parts;

Rodney Dickmans Zero lash end links for front
Afco Swag tubes for Fierogurus DIY trailing arms
QA-1 rod ends
Poly Sway bar bushings for the front
Prothane front a arm bushings
All new rubber brake lines
Cross drilled Rotors for all for corners
EBC yellow brake pads
New Front Calipers
Referb Rear Calipers

And now I'm poor.

[This message has been edited by 1fstfiero (edited 04-07-2017).]

1fstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2017 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fstfieroSend a Private Message to 1fstfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have finished purchasing the suspension components.

KYB GR2 rear struts
Allstar 7" 2.5" coil over sleeve kit
PRO MOD 10" 350Lb rear springs
KYB GR2 front struts
West Coast Fiero front lowering 400lb springs
88 GT Rear Sway Bar
Rodney Dickman Upper Ball Joints
New Lower Ball Joints
New Outter Tie Rod ends

That should be the whole suspension, did I miss anything within the two lists? I will post pictures of everything once it all arrives.

[This message has been edited by 1fstfiero (edited 04-07-2017).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2017 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like some pretty aggressive springs. Ride might be a little harsh, but should handle well.
1fstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2017 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fstfieroSend a Private Message to 1fstfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to track the car so I hope it will handle well. I can deal with a little harsh ride every once in a while.
PFF
System Bot
1fstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2017 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fstfieroSend a Private Message to 1fstfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to track the car so I hope it will handle well. I can deal with a little harsh ride every once in a while.
1fstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2018 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fstfieroSend a Private Message to 1fstfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few more updates on this build. Pics will follow.

Parts Purchased

ZZP 4340 H Beam Rods
LS7 Lifters
ZZP 1.65 Rockers
Crow 150lb Valve Springs
ZZP head gasket
ARP Head Studs
ARP main Studs
ZZP Machined Oil Pump Cover
ZZP oil pump kit
ZZP Oil pump gears
Rollmaster Double chain timing set
LS7 MAF
Holden Intake
ZZP Billet Fuel Rails
150Lb Deutch injectors
AEM 340lph Fuel Pump
ZZP high Flow fuel filter
Clevite Main Bearings
Clevite Cam Bearings
Clevite Rod Bearings
ZZP 7.25 push Rods
180* Thermostat
ZZP Oil Breather
Gibec Custom Forged Pistons
West Coast Fiero Adjustable Upper control arms
High Flow Water Pump
AC delete bracket
Full Regasket kit
MAZE intake spacer
Original DGP IMSA widebody kit
XS power Intercooler
Aeromotive Fuel regulator
Flocking material for the dash and headliner
Front Main Seal
Extra think Front timing cover gasket
Rear main seal

Parts left to buy

Turbos
Valves
Holley EFI stand alone ECU
CAM
Turbo parts, blow offs, Wastegates,piping,
Exhaust
Trans cooler
Oil Cooler
Aluminum Underbelly pans
Wheels
Tires
Quafie LSD
Short Shifter
Red Flocking material for door inserts
Rodney Dickman Rear Sway bar zero lash endlinks
Fiero Guru rear lateral link boxes
Fiero Guru Clutch line connector
Flywheel
Clutch
Valve Spring Retainers
2 bar MAP Sensor

I feel like i have forgotten a few items. i have written it all down in my build book. If i did forget something i will update this once i reach that book. Look forward to pictures to come.

[This message has been edited by 1fstfiero (edited 09-21-2018).]

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2018 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interior looks nice. What paint did you use?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock