So when does a car guy "arrive"... by 2.5
Started on: 03-09-2017 05:21 PM
Replies: 9 (408 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 03-11-2017 09:34 AM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2017 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think a few new aquaintences think I'm "rich"....because I have 2 good lookin Fieros a 72 Buick and a lift in my garage (so I can fit 2 Fieros in the garage, and work on stuff). (Though in all honesty these guys are younger and so one keeps accidentally saying Ferrari.. LOL)
But the thing is, those all combined don't cost as much as the average price of a new car, and my daily driver is worth less than 2k and has been paid off for probly 5 years. I don't pay anyone to do regular maintainance to the cars or house. It seems a jack of all trades past does have its value.

I'm not trying to toot a horn, but more less sharing a car hobby guy perk and saying cheers guys

Rootbeer in my case

In the car hobby have I "arrived"? I dunno, my cars run and drive, and my wife don't mind them So perhaps.

Next question looking ahead, how old are ya when ya start to say I'm too old to fix this stuff myself....
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero Vampire

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2017 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here to you 2.5 King of rootbeers!
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2017 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Next question looking ahead, how old are ya when ya start to say I'm too old to fix this stuff myself.... "

LOL, NEVER!
Although, wisdom and age help me decide on what I should tackle vs what I should not.

I will probably still be trying to fix something on the day that I am "taken" to the great Fiero bone yard in the sky......

I also will admit that when I do work on something I let my wife know, and ask that she just comes out to say hi every hour or so....... just in case, and also, that she makes sure I am just not taking a nap before she calls 911!!!!.
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2017 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dunno, for me, it's kinda like what they say about racing. There's always someone faster than you. So, when I look at my garage, I can be content, but I realize that there is someone who has "arrived" just a little bit more than I have, and no matter how many times I tell my wife, my project car is never truly "done". Even big players like Jay Leno are always looking for the next thing (though Jay can charge admission to his garage, and I can't). All that said, good job. I will gladly crack open a couple root beers of the finest make and vintage for you
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2017 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It never ceases to amaze me what people pay to have fixed; My now Ex-GF's son leaned on the dryer door- it wouldn't close anymore so she was ready to buy a new one...I took a piece of wood and a hammer and banged the front back in...voila!...Fixed! Same with her flooded dishwasher(although I didn't get to use the hammer on it!)

I have a CVX-20 jetboat that is one of the best looking boats ever made- a blast to drive or ski behind(Really)...And I learned how to replace a floor, reinforce the fiberglass hull inside the bottom, rebuild a Berkeley jet-drive and make a custom windshield...And I had a lot of fun doing it! And I only have approx' $8000 total invested and 17 years of use so far. I've made custom parts for both the boat and my Fiero, rebuilt my house...Heck, I even rebuilt an automatic transmission! The only thing I won't try to rebuild is an engine.

Now I'm retired, so I have more time for projects...But there's no excuse that keeps me from doing things.....

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2017 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by railshot:

"Next question looking ahead, how old are ya when ya start to say I'm too old to fix this stuff myself.... "

LOL, NEVER!
Although, wisdom and age help me decide on what I should tackle vs what I should not.

I will probably still be trying to fix something on the day that I am "taken" to the great Fiero bone yard in the sky......

I also will admit that when I do work on something I let my wife know, and ask that she just comes out to say hi every hour or so....... just in case, and also, that she makes sure I am just not taking a nap before she calls 911!!!!.

USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2017 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Car guy" is open to interpretation. I use it for anyone who loves and talks cars. They are getting few and farther between, in my opinion. At work, I can barely find anyone to talk to; no one is interested in discussing spark plug condition or brake fluid flushing, LOL. I'm in more of a white collar environment, so maybe that's my problem.

And if you possess cars you like, you enjoy working on them, have the knowledge/tools/facilities to work on them, and have the time/energy to work on them .... then I would say you've arrived. Kudos and enjoy.
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2017 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

In the car hobby have I "arrived"? I dunno, my cars run and drive, and my wife don't mind them So perhaps.

Your wife doesn't mind? You have not only arrived...you win!

------------------
Tim
Bay City, MI

'87 GT original 2.8 V6
All Poly suspension, Eibach springs
Aussie Stage 2 side scoops
Deck scoop, Fiero Warehouse lip spoiler

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post03-11-2017 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So when does a car guy "arrive"...?

Most times when he gets his first hotwheels or matchbox..
Then it moves on, and on, and on, till teens
Then he thinks he needs a perfect show car.. and/or a car others will like.
Then gets over that crap, and learns just enjoying the drive, the working in it, and the not having to have it perfect.. and not worrying about what other think..
Then they may get a few others to add to the fray..
And if he marries a woman that supports or at least tolerates his hobby, he has already won..
You "arrive" when you figure out you only have to please yourself..

When at a show or cruise and you run into a guy/gal with a 70 chevelle that say's he wishes it was an ls6454 , he/she hasn't arrived.. as he/she isn't content with what they have,

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 03-11-2017).]

hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2017 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was born a car guy and have been one my whole life and will die a car guy.

I still have my first matchbox I was given when I was 1 and it is a Pontiac that is over 50 years old.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock