Should I have kept my old tires? by wgpierce
Started on: 03-04-2017 06:53 PM
Replies: 8 (468 views)
Last post by: wgpierce on 03-06-2017 01:24 AM
wgpierce

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2017 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I didn't. On my 7500 mile car they all looked like below and worse so I got new ones but didn't keep the originals. I figured it's never getting shipped back to the US and people here simply wouldn't care.

Now these I did keep, Why I don't know

Original oil filter. Looks to never have been removed in 30 years as it was starting to rust on the bottom at its lowermost position screwed onto the block

Original Fuel filter:

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2017 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those tires were pretty dry rotted, so I wouldn't have kept them either. The oil filter is not original....they were painted black from the factory. At 7500 miles I would hope the oil was changed at least once! No clue on the fuel filter, but it is very likely the original one.

**EDITED** I should say that '88 Fieros had black oil filters.....not sure of earlier years so it very well may be an original one if it is a pre-'88.

[This message has been edited by mrfiero (edited 03-04-2017).]

wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2017 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's the right one for 87. Not sure if you can see it, but it reads "Made in England" on it. When was the last time you saw an Oil Filter for a US car made in England??

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2017 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just my personal opinion but I'd think all of that stuff should be tossed in the trash. If you planned on keeping the car 100% original and never add miles (aka museum quality) AND if everything was in factory condition (no dry rot on the tires, no rust on the oil filter, etc) AND it was still on the car, I could see keeping things. Since that stuff isn't/wasn't in good condition and it's already been replaced, save the space and ditch it. The way it is now, it's just old parts. I can go to any junkyard and buy some poor condition parts out of an old car. Doesn't mean they're worth anything.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2017 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see muzzle flash suppressors...

(this post was supposed to get a 'thumbs up' & not a thumbs down marker--my bad.. )

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-05-2017).]

USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2017 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WG, I was in the same boat - 10k miles and original tires, though they weren't really dry rotting. Changed out like you, but kept the originals on the original rims to go with the car if/when I ever sell.

My fuel filter and oil filter had been changed, but the original air filter was in it - it looked like crap after 31 years.

I recommend you change the plugs - the originals were still in mine. Even though the recall weather strip is still on the rear deck, and the car likely didn't see much rain, 31 years of washes still made the front 3 plugs pretty corroded. The electrodes obviously still looked okay, and the plugs came unscrewed easy enough, but you do have to worry about them seizing eventually.

[This message has been edited by USMUCL (edited 03-05-2017).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2017 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cracks like top post means road crap, water often polluted, Ozone, and others getting at the cording and cause a huge blowout.
They should be shredded etc. I doubt even Shows would give points for them.

Surface w/ very small problems may look bad but keep out dirt etc.

Car tires only have 1 - 2 cord layers on sidewalls. Most are nylon or rayon and easy dirt etc to cut the cord.

Some here have posted good looking OE tires but still can be dangerous 20+ year old tires.
They can keep them to show but drive anywhere is not good idea.
Tires may look ok on outside but filled w/ shop and other air sources that can water, oil, etc, attacking inside.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2017 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USMUCL:

WG, I was in the same boat - 10k miles and original tires, though they weren't really dry rotting. Changed out like you, but kept the originals on the original rims to go with the car if/when I ever sell.

My fuel filter and oil filter had been changed, but the original air filter was in it - it looked like crap after 31 years.

I recommend you change the plugs - the originals were still in mine. Even though the recall weather strip is still on the rear deck, and the car likely didn't see much rain, 31 years of washes still made the front 3 plugs pretty corroded. The electrodes obviously still looked okay, and the plugs came unscrewed easy enough, but you do have to worry about them seizing eventually.

Yeah, they were next on my list. It just runs so good now, I almost don't want to mess with it Anyway I don't know when or why, but the plug wires have been changed so maybe plugs were too. However no one likes replacing the front ones so maybe they need it. I will pull them in the near future anyway.
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2017 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wgpierce

376 posts
Member since Aug 2016

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Just my personal opinion but I'd think all of that stuff should be tossed in the trash. If you planned on keeping the car 100% original and never add miles (aka museum quality) AND if everything was in factory condition (no dry rot on the tires, no rust on the oil filter, etc) AND it was still on the car, I could see keeping things. Since that stuff isn't/wasn't in good condition and it's already been replaced, save the space and ditch it. The way it is now, it's just old parts. I can go to any junkyard and buy some poor condition parts out of an old car. Doesn't mean they're worth anything.

I can understand your POV. I have a lot of space though Anyway I kept them because I think they are kinda cool to have, I'll just put em in my man cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock