Never seen a headlight mod like this... by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 02-20-2017 11:50 PM
Replies: 21 (1013 views)
Last post by: Drewbdo on 03-08-2017 09:31 AM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2017 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never seen a headlight mod like this before. Also has some sort of roof mounted air scoop mod I think. Not for me, but still interesting and unique.

https://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/6010857915.html
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2017 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ive seen this car in person. wow it is interesting......
Drewbdo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrewbdoSend a Private Message to DrewbdoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Eh... different strokes, I guess... ??
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HL mod is crap.
Has some of same barn door problems as others and because they lowered the Bulbs they won't perform same as normal location in the hood.

Is a minimum and max height to mount HL bulbs for a couple reasons...
Too low affects light performance.
Too high will blind most other drivers.
I believe to meet Min Height for FMVSS108 is part of why GM used popup HL for Fiero. (I'm not digging thru 108 to find spec right now.)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

onesexyfiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Barn door effect likely way worse with those than any other mod I've seen. Honestly, you'd be better off with a couple of flashlights duct taped to the hood.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

HL mod is crap.

Is a minimum and max height to mount HL bulbs for a couple reasons...
Too low affects light performance.
Too high will blind most other drivers.

Too High is not usually a problem. You just have to adjust the lights accordingly. Think of a large truck, or a semi, compared to the height of a cars headlights.
Fiero Vampire

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Minds me of Ferrari Daytona headlights minus the acrylic glass covers.
USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Forget functionality . . . the headlights LOOK terrible. Makes the car look like a Chevette or something.

But the roof scoop oddly interests me. I generally hate the aftermarket scoops, but that looks. . . acceptable.

I am wondering about the "6 cylinders" it has . . . in a 1984 car.

[This message has been edited by USMUCL (edited 02-21-2017).]

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's unique. That's about the best I can say for it because it definitely is not my cup of tea.

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2017 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:
Too High is not usually a problem. You just have to adjust the lights accordingly. Think of a large truck, or a semi, compared to the height of a cars headlights.
Min/Max height and aiming is in FMVSS108 and many state's laws/rules. Min is 24 inches, Max is 54 inches measured pavement to center of bulb.
Example: http://delcode.delaware.gov...043/sc02/index.shtml

§ 4333 Head lamps on motor vehicles.
(c) Every head lamp upon every motor vehicle, including every motorcycle and motor-driven cycle, shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches, to be measured as set forth in § 4332(b) of this title

High like big trucks w/ proper aim does help but too high is illegal in most states.
OE Fiero and most cars are over Min Height 1-3 inches.
link car Fails Min Height (Front edge of hood is ~24inches high w/ stock ride hight.) and Illegal in many states and could be why he's selling.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 02-22-2017).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2017 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm. I considered the '91 Saturn SL headlights for the Fiero. Same height. Obviously, the lights sit further forward than this. I don't believe the recessed lighting like this would provide enoigh light.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2017 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:
Hmmm. I considered the '91 Saturn SL headlights for the Fiero. Same height. Obviously, the lights sit further forward than this. I don't believe the recessed lighting like this would provide enoigh light.
Most "flush mounts" HL including new fad from BTR etc w/ plastic bubble have problems and are illegal in most states because to start any cover is illegal. (OE "covers" are part of HL/taillight assembly and Label per FMVSS w/ DOT/SAE codes like Fiero Taillights.)
Refitting Other OE HL to Fiero likely to have problems and maybe illegal or not but too many ways to tell.
All mods w/ HL below Fiero front hood edge like above would Fail Min Height and be illegal in most states because CA and others states have same or very close laws/rules as DE example.

Even if you don't have State Inspection, any Cop can and often Will stop you for any light problems and go fishing for big tickets etc. Just have a dead bulb in OE fixture can get you stopped. More so driving in another state.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2017 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For some reason, that headlight mod reminds me of the Avanti.
Fiero Vampire

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2017 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
California law if I remember correctly is 22 Inches min height measured from the center of the headlights, not sure what the height these are my guess they meet the requirement but would need to grab a measure tape to confirm.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2017 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vampire:
California law if I remember correctly is 22 Inches min height measured from the center of the headlights, not sure what the height these are my guess they meet the requirement but would need to grab a measure tape to confirm.
Yes CA AZ NJ and some others Min 22in, Max 54in. I believe He's still failed Min Height. Looks to be ~19-20in if he didn't lower the car.
DE PA MD NV and some others 24 min, 54 max. Driving that to Vegas can be problems.
as I said many states are same or close to same But can get odd states like Utah w/ 15in min and no top limit, and NY Mass seems to have no min or max.

www.liftlaws.com in helpful w/o checking every state laws/rules you're likely to drive in/thru.
Even when local area/state doesn't care or built to UT HL rules... Drive in another state and you can become a ticket magnet very easy.

Note that liftlaws.com and other "clearing houses" web sites a ok but may not have current data so double check them before doing anything.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2017 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My non pop-up headlites, sealed beams, and acrylic covers were fine for driving at nite. I had excellent vision even on dark country roads. I cant speak for other states, but it DID pass Ohio State Highway Patrol Inspection for Ohio just fine (sticker on windshield). Far as I know Ohio is one of the strictest on exterior vehicle lights.

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2017 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
My non pop-up headlites, sealed beams, and acrylic covers were fine for driving at nite. I had excellent vision even on dark country roads. I cant speak for other states, but it DID pass Ohio State Highway Patrol Inspection for Ohio just fine (sticker on windshield). Far as I know Ohio is one of the strictest on exterior vehicle lights.
Is a munson set? More like Inspector didn't care for whatever reason.
Even if Ohio doesn't ban covers... Other States do and can stop just for covers over HL and TL driving in those states.
Others will call BS on those claims and at minimum have to remove the cover for glare problems, failed inspections and/or getting stopped.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2017 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, I fabricated the complete assemblies myself from aluminum with lexan covers. I drove it as a daily driver for 7 years The only Fiero components was the wiring. I drove it all over from Texas to New York and was never stopped. I feel a lot of it was because I actually had them aimed properly so no one paid attention to them. I only had one problem the whole time. I was driving home across Ohio during an ice storm and the covers completely iced over. The lights didnt generate enough heat to melt it off the covers. I just turned them off (could have just popped off the covers) and just ran with my under bumper driving lites just fine the last 100 miles.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 03-01-2017).]

Drewbdo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2017 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrewbdoSend a Private Message to DrewbdoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No, I fabricated the complete assemblies myself from aluminum with lexan covers. I drove it as a daily driver for 7 years The only Fiero components was the wiring. I drove it all over from Texas to New York and was never stopped. I feel a lot of it was because I actually had them aimed properly so no one paid attention to them.

Roger, late last year, I bought a Testarossa replica which was built back in 1994. The car has a headlight design similar in concept to your headlights, but they are poorly made. I don't drive my car at night because the beams are not very bright, and the high beams are poorly aimed. The left high beam is "high"... like tree top high... no worries about blinding oncoming drivers, but I might blind oncoming airplanes and flying squirrels. lol

The builder (or previous owner) also just glued the lights in place with silicone.

I'm trying to find Testarossa style pop up covers that fit on the OEM Fiero popups, and use the old style round BMW lights, but I'm not sure if I can find any. I just bought some Fiero popups off of PFF last week, so at least now I have the popup mechanisms.

I think your fixed light design is much better planned and implemented than mine. Would you happen to have any design photos you would be willing to share, here or in PM?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2017 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heres a small mock up of what I did. I removed the complete OEM assemblies except for wiring. I made the bucket out of 1/8" aluminum plate. The pics show the bend lines in dark, dotted lines are headlite bulbs. I bolted it to the core support at the original mounting points. I put in adjusting screws positioned to hold the lights. At the front and rear lip, i used velcro strips to hold the covers on. Make sure the front is lower than the body slighly so wind and water wont blow in. Then i painted a border around the 1/8" lexan covers in body color that hid the velcro. You will have to cut the hood at the front and outside edges (the little areas that surrounds the OEM headlite doors) because the headlite assemblies will stay in place when you open the hood. They held fine over 150 mph. I made some extras but never used them, still have one. I think the photos show how to properly bend the bucket so its all one piece. I painted them all over in semi gloss black. They looked so good, I had a couple of real Ferrari owners have me build them a set of similar.

laid out flat

bent to shape

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 03-07-2017).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2017 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rogergarrison

49601 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by theogre:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rogergarrison:
Is a munson set? More like Inspector didn't care for whatever reason.
Even if Ohio doesn't ban covers... Other States do and can stop just for covers over HL and TL driving in those states.
Others will call BS on those claims and at minimum have to remove the cover for glare problems, failed inspections and/or getting stopped.[/QUOTE]

The covers took 5 seconds to remove...just take the covers off for inspection, put them back on when you leave. They were all nicely painted and finished if you wanted to leave covers off for good. I literally could not see any difference from the drivers seat with or without the covers. Driving in the rain may have hurt them a little, but any OEM lights are usually crap in the rain anyway. OEM plastic lenses are so bad on a lot of cars, they throw out no beam at all. Ive redone some OEM ones that didnt light more than 20' in front of the car...they were basicly white parking lights. I havent heard of anyone being stopped or ticketed for their OEM lights being even completely fogged over. Then you have the ones that are full of water or condensation that arent worth anything either. like I said IF theyre aimed correctly, they dont have any reason to pull you over for them. Even a strict cop cannot tell your lights are non OEM by passing you at night if aimed.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 03-08-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
Drewbdo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2017 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrewbdoSend a Private Message to DrewbdoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Heres a small mock up of what I did. I removed the complete OEM assemblies except for wiring. I made the bucket out of 1/8" aluminum plate. The pics show the bend lines in dark, dotted lines are headlite bulbs. I bolted it to the core support at the original mounting points. I put in adjusting screws positioned to hold the lights. At the front and rear lip, i used velcro strips to hold the covers on. Make sure the front is lower than the body slighly so wind and water wont blow in. Then i painted a border around the 1/8" lexan covers in body color that hid the velcro. You will have to cut the hood at the front and outside edges (the little areas that surrounds the OEM headlite doors) because the headlite assemblies will stay in place when you open the hood. They held fine over 150 mph. I made some extras but never used them, still have one. I think the photos show how to properly bend the bucket so its all one piece. I painted them all over in semi gloss black. They looked so good, I had a couple of real Ferrari owners have me build them a set of similar.

laid out flat

THANK YOU!!

I really appreciate your reply. I took photos of your mockup. I'm a visual person, so this is very helpful.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock