Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  What is a good vintage looking aftermarket steering wheel?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What is a good vintage looking aftermarket steering wheel? by JJFieroFan
Started on: 02-19-2017 09:59 AM
Replies: 11 (325 views)
Last post by: Alex4mula on 02-20-2017 08:46 PM
JJFieroFan

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2017 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just looking but I plan on changing my GT steering wheel out and putting in one that looks old, but is comfortable to use and not too big. I will keep the original safe for later. I am thinking I will get a Nardi or Momo, maybe even a wood one. I am not too concerned about price as I will wait for a decent deal. Any ideas? My car interior is in great shape with the factory suede seats in grey. Car is Black. I will probably keep the original automatic shift knob, but I am open to a suggestion there too. Thanks

------------------
JJFieroFan
Prior Fieros:
85 2m6 (85-91) should have kept it
85 2m6 (CLONE) (00-14) sold to a friend

Current cars:
87 Fiero GT (13-now)
07 Nissan Murano SL AWD (07-now)
15 Nissan Juke S AWD (15-now)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2017 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
go Nardi 15 inch wood. I have one and its great! I was able to use the original mount with a little adjustment. I was also able to use the steering wheel housing and put the gt horn on it. ill take a pic for you
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2017 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a nice modern wheel I used briefly. I don't know what type of wheel, but if you PM me your email, I'll send you a pic. I can't post pics here. You might be interested in something like it. Nothing like a Momo, though. The horn switch would need to be changed a bit.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 02-19-2017).]

JJFieroFan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2017 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks but I am pretty set on a momo or nardi. I do like the nardi wood. I used to have an Opel GT with a faux wood wheel. We have an extra GT wheel, so we will probably use the mount off of that one and keep the other one intact. I am fortunate to always find good steering wheels and shift knobs unlike everything else! 😀 And I would love to see a pic of the nardi.

JJ

------------------
JJFieroFan

85 2m6 (85-91) Black
85 2m6 (CLONE) (00-14) Black
My cars now:
87 Fiero GT (13-now) Back in Black

[This message has been edited by JJFieroFan (edited 02-19-2017).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2017 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Momo in my car but as a suggestion, just because they are so close in looks yet miles away in price for almost the same wheel, look at this Grant wheel:

I had this same wheel in one of my other cars and it felt great due to the thickness. It was really comfortable. They range from $73-$80

If you want to order a Momo or Nardi, see this website. It has everything you need:
http://www.mrsteeringwheel.com/

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 02-19-2017).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2017 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the Grant Challenger #404 steering wheel with walnut wood. It looks pretty "old school". Although, those steering wheels are notorious for horn button malfunctions.

Here's a link, in case you're interested: http://www.streetsideauto.c...nMnNICFUZehgodci8ExA
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2017 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just watch the "dish" of the SW...
Dish is same as offset etc to a wheel of car and many SW plus adapter needed can move the wheel towards you vs OE wheel.
Tilt columns pushes wheel to you too vs no tilt columns.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

JJFieroFan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2017 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want one with no dish, right? We have installed an aftermarket one in another Fiero so my brother knows how to adapt it using the original wheel parts. Thanks! The ones I like are expensive new so it might be a wait to find a used one!
------------------
JJFieroFan

85 2m6 (85-91) Black
85 2m6 (CLONE) (00-14) Black
My cars now:
87 Fiero GT (13-now) Back in Black

[This message has been edited by JJFieroFan (edited 02-20-2017).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2017 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would also help to use the shorter adapter. For example, mine uses the low-profile adapter (only about 1" thick), which puts the steering wheel close to the stock location. But if you use one of the taller adapters (2" or 3", can't remember), then yes you'll want to find a shallow dish or no dish on the steering wheel.

Edit to add: Also, I'd like to clarify that the Grant GT steering wheels in general have the horn button issue... unless they changed the design recently. A common failure mode is for the horn button to pop loose. When the button pops loose, it also releases the tension holding the electrical contacts apart, so they touch and cause the horn to blare constantly (until separated again). I fixed the "horn blare" issue with some strategically placed weatherstrip foam. It holds the contacts apart, but can "squish" when I press the horn button. And the loose button problem was fixed by tweaking the mounting tabs to make it snap on tighter.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 02-20-2017).]

rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2017 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like Grant wheels myself, good choices and easy installs. Ive really never had a problem with the horn setup. I did use a Momo on my Ferrari kit because they had a good Ferrari logoed horn button.
JJFieroFan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2017 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will keep that in mind if I get a grant. I will probably get a nardi though. Mine is really good, so if I change it out it will need to be a big upgrade.
PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2017 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

It would also help to use the shorter adapter. For example, mine uses the low-profile adapter (only about 1" thick), which puts the steering wheel close to the stock location. But if you use one of the taller adapters (2" or 3", can't remember), then yes you'll want to find a shallow dish or no dish on the steering wheel.

Edit to add: Also, I'd like to clarify that the Grant GT steering wheels in general have the horn button issue... unless they changed the design recently. A common failure mode is for the horn button to pop loose. When the button pops loose, it also releases the tension holding the electrical contacts apart, so they touch and cause the horn to blare constantly (until separated again). I fixed the "horn blare" issue with some strategically placed weatherstrip foam. It holds the contacts apart, but can "squish" when I press the horn button. And the loose button problem was fixed by tweaking the mounting tabs to make it snap on tighter.

Yes use the 1" adapter with the Grants. It will be positioned right with it. I have never had any problems with Grant wheel horn buttons (on thre wheels). The one on my Formula is about 15yrs old. Maybe the newer ones.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock