Parts for 88s? by badbrutis
Started on: 02-13-2017 10:29 AM
Replies: 8 (395 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 02-16-2017 09:00 AM
badbrutis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2017 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for badbrutisSend a Private Message to badbrutisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys, I'm interested in getting a Fiero but wanted to know about the 88s. I know its considered better but how is the part availability? Curious about the experiences of those who have them. I wouldn't want to get a car and have issues keeping in going. I'm just looking for one as a driver not collector so I'm not concerned about future value etc. I cant decide which model to look for yet. I really like the original look of the 85 SE but any of the fastbacks are nice also! Thanks for any info!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
VOS1319

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2017 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VOS1319Send a Private Message to VOS1319Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job choosing an '88! I ran an '84 SE for 17 years, and replaced a lot of stuff, (brake calipers, clutch cylinders,master and slave, fuel injector, etc.). When I got my (currently disabled, would make one hell of a parts car) '88 I was tickled to death that parts were not only more readly available, but that they were significantly cheaper than the similar part for the '84. For instance, when I needed tho replace the fuel injector for my '88, it was literally a five minute job, loosen one torx screw and clamp, unplug, then replace with the new part. It was so cheap ($15.00?), I don't remember. Brake calipers are the same, and you won't lose your front brakes because the rivet holding the spring clip on the front pads fails. If you read enough about Fiero's, you'll run accross references to the understear ("plowing" or "pushing") present on earlier Fieros. This is a real thing, and diving into a left-hand turn on slick pavement can be unsettling when you turn the wheel and very little happens. The '88 is significantly better. Now that I've helped you to make up your mind, I hope I don't get into a bidding war with you over the replacement I need for the poor rusted out and eviserated baby (that still looks cute) sitting in my driveway! Many Happy Returns of the Day, Victor
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2017 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I prefer the 88s and have owned them exclusively since 2006. Getting the needed parts has never been an issue. Even the 88 front wheel bearings can be found used by posting in the mall, watching on ebay, or craigslist.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2017 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another "thumbs up" for the '88s. It's all I have owned (with one strange exception) since 1997.
I have never had a difficult time finding parts. The trick is to buy spares when you see them (especially front wheel bearings) instead of when you need them, and keep them put aside.
The "exception" was an '84, and parts for that one (even the common ones, like brake pieces) seemed to be no easier to find.
I find the '88s easier to work on, too. Of course that may be because it's what I'm most familiar with.
railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2017 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Old fart chiming in.
I presently have an '88 GT T-top, and find it to be the best year, but.......

Find one completed, and in very good condition to begin with, you will be money ahead for sure.
Mine I purchased as a project, and knew what was ahead of me, so take the rest for what it is worth.

I have had '84's, '85's, '86's. and '87's all brand new back in the day.
All of them were really fun great cars, but there is something special about an '88.

My first '88 was a Formula around 12 years ago, I loved the difference in handling and braking so much, I bought another Formula soon after selling that one.
There is a difference from the earlier years.

When it comes to parts, '88's parts are really not that hard to find, but if you find one that needs a lot of things, stay away.

Good '88's are not that expensive at the moment, and that is the key I think, find a really good one and maintain it.

Now, T-tops.... hmmmm, parts can get pricey! http://www.fieroparts.com/
Tail lights for a GT, pshhh, don't even ask, lol, otherwise there are a lot of common parts with the earlier ones that are available, or being reproduced to a rather high standard.
I highly recommend looking here http://www.rodneydickman.com/catalog/index.php and here http://www.fierostore.com/ to get a better idea of what is out there before buying one.

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2017 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an '88 GT. I have had a previous year.

My '88 is in fair condition, but I did have some difficulty location a steering rack for it. Parts that are common to other years are easier to find. '88-specific parts can be hard to find, especially fastback parts.

When I got my first Fiero, I picked an '86 SE, because I'd determined that the parts were the easiest to find. I did have an issue getting replacement end cap vents.

If you wait long enough, parts will become available, in one fashion or another, but this is often how you wind up with either a parts car or a room full of parts.

Indy emblems, scoops, and switches are also a difficulty to obtain.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2017 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There isn't really that many things that are that hard to get is there?

As far as maintaining a car that is already a driver.

I haven't needed a front wheel bearing yet.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2017 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a thread like this a year or so ago. No matter.

Hard to get:
GT taillights in good condition
Good front wheel bearings
GT quarter windows that fit
T-top parts
Front wheel bearings
Steering rack
Steering rack bushings
Brake calipers
Tires that fit original rims
Dash vents
Coolant tubes
Quality exhaust manifolds
Quality Y-pipe
Wing screws for the decklid vents
Good console skeletons

That's off the top of my head.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2017 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

I had a thread like this a year or so ago. No matter.

Hard to get:

T-top parts
Front wheel bearings
Steering rack
Steering rack bushings
Brake calipers

That's off the top of my head.

88 only I mean?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to: