Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Greetings from SW Ohio! Here's my "new" Fiero.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Greetings from SW Ohio! Here's my "new" Fiero. by FTrader
Started on: 02-06-2017 05:14 PM
Replies: 13 (337 views)
Last post by: FTrader on 02-12-2017 03:54 PM
FTrader

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2017 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTraderSend a Private Message to FTraderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey all,

In fulfilling a lifelong dream, last year I bought my first Fiero, an 86 GT 4 sp w/ 105k miles. What a blast. It likes to mark its territory with a few leaks, and it does have some rust here and there, but otherwise it's been a dream come true.

Current project: Fixing a possibly bad Ignition Control Module with some thermal paste/grease. (Experienced loss of power/backfiring yesterday during a long road trip)

My (inanimate) baby
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2017 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome,

What size rims/tires you got there? You know the offset?
copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2017 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lovely car! Congrats! I hope to get a Fiero someday too.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2017 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had some problems with my 3.4 f-body conversion....It started running poorly- and the throttle sensitivity was worse.....Started running thru stuff; The ICM, the coil, even the injectors....Finally, I happened to look at the connection between the cap and the coil wire...Corroded green and nasty. Replaced the cap, rotor and coil wire and problem gone.

Approx' 2 months ago I was running up Redwood road- nice curvy road near where I live- and the car suddenly died....Changed out the ICM and started right up.....Get the Delco ICM- made in USA, and use the "Arctic Silver" thermal paste.....I carry both up front in case of a dead engine- and a spare coil!....It also helps to carry the tools to do the switch-over....
87_FieroGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2017 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful car! Love the wheels and the stance.

------------------

1987 Pontiac Fiero GT, Silver, 5 Speed
2015 Dodge Charger R/T Road & Track

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2017 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet ride ! What part of sw Ohio ? I am originally from Middletown.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2017 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before replacing the ICM, you could try cleaning the contacts. You may find that resolves the issue.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2017 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking car! Makes me want a GT.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
01 BMW 525i: daily driver

FTrader

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2017 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTraderSend a Private Message to FTraderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all, especially for the ICM advice. I'll be messing with that tomorrow while the kids are in school. I'm near Wilmington, for all you Ohioans out there.

The wheels are just inexpensive gunmetal Evoke 17s from ebay. Offset is 40, but with the 225/55s in the rear, I had to add a 5mm spacer to avoid rubbing on the strut tower. So now it's essentially a 45 rear. Running 225/45s up front, but they are a bear to steer at low speeds, so I'll be replacing with 195s or 205s soon.

I dropped the car about 1.75 inches, but I think one of the best things I did was plasti-dip the light silver ground effects with a darker gray color to better match the wheels. Here's a stock picture from when I purchased it.

USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2017 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think adding the spacers makes it the opposite of what you said .... they are now 35mm offset which is just like stock
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2017 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice car, my first one was an 87 GT. Hey I live in ohio too maybe we are neighbers.
PFF
System Bot
FTrader

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2017 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTraderSend a Private Message to FTraderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USMUCL:

I think adding the spacers makes it the opposite of what you said .... they are now 35mm offset which is just like stock

Okay, gotcha. I guess I've had that backward for years then. Makes my brain hurt thinking about offset.
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2017 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice car!
FTrader

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2017 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTraderSend a Private Message to FTraderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again. Just an update, I replaced my ICM under the disty cap. I bought the more expensive BWD version from OReilly's. Also bought the $7.99 thermal grease from Best Buy. Took a long road trip yesterday and no more loss of power/backfiring! Jackpot! Love this forum. What did we do before the internet? I never would've known how to fix my problem.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock