Question about the Oil Pressure Sensor on 87 GT by robert1234
Started on: 01-23-2017 07:24 PM
Replies: 8 (311 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 01-25-2017 04:43 PM
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2017 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it my understanding that I should remove the oil pressure sensor mounting tube and no use it.
Then get the following parts from a hardware or plumbing supply store:
a). 1/8" nipple (1" long)
b). 1/4" to 1/8" reducer (female inside male)
c). 1/4" to 45 degree angle (female both ends)

And reinstall the sensor without the tube.

Has everyone done this on theirs?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wgpierce

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No. I have not.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WHY would you do this? There's no advantage that I know of. The only time the sensor was at the bottom was non-AC cars. I think the compressor would be in the way on an AC equipped vehicle. Your sensor harness is at the top so you will have to rewire to get it down to the bottom of the engine. If you're upgrading to the newer style sensor, you can do it up top, very easily. I did a non-permanent upgrade, but all you need do is cut and splice the wires at the top to make it permanent. My How-To thread. http://www.gafiero.org/bbs/index.php?topic=1642.0

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 01-24-2017).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
WHY would you do this?
Like Because he read TSB etc calling for this using 88 sender...
See my Cave, Oil Sensor

TSB maybe has some fitting wrong but you can use it to guide to relocate the sender w/ ac or not. IOW relocate anyway you want/need so rain etc can't soak the plug. Metripak plugs are weather resistance, not water proof.

When upgrade old crap sender to 88... better to make the change permanent.
1. Most Old sender socket are crap too and when the spade end fall out could short the fuel pump circuit.
2. Pigtails have enough wire to make relocation easy.

How Its Made Oil Pressure Sensors is 88 sender. Fiero just have more plastic to fit in about same size as old mechanical units.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWrj6A3-_Os

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-24-2017).]

wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm. That's interesting.
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I read Ogre's cave stuff.

So, do it or not ?

Thanks
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How many miles on your car and are you replacing the sensor? Mine only has 7600 so I don't feel the need at this point. Wiring, sensor and all in good shape. There will not be any water making it's way to that location as A) I don't get the car wet much, and B) no recalls have been done to mine so I still have the back weatherseal on the decklid.

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2017 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the last 10 years my 85 SE V6 leaked oil all over the place- finally read about the 88 vs early pressure sensor- replaced it and the connector...No more oil leak, and the sensor is smaller and it was cheaper.....win-win-win!
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2017 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're making it permanent and splicing it, I don't understand why anyone would go to all the trouble of removing the tubing, trying to locate and install the replacement fittings, snaking wiring from the top of the engine past the exhaust manifold and still have to splice the wire. There wasn't enough pigtail on the new harness to reach much further than the end of the valve cover when connected to the old harness. And I cut nothing off either.

The stock 88 sender is up top, screwed into the tube. Rainwater gets into the harness plug through the vent grate and travels down along the harness wires. The first harness I installed shorted with rainwater, causing the pump to run until it drained my battery. That's when I installed the split plastic wire loom cover to protect it from rainwater or water being pushed into it due to the speed of the car. In my case, it also keeps a temporary connection from shorting should the orange 12V terminal come out. I will eventually cut and splice to make the connection permanent but will keep the plastic wire loom sleeve over the terminal.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock