Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  New engine area product for the 84-87 free to someone for R&D (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
New engine area product for the 84-87 free to someone for R&D by Rodney
Started on: 01-21-2017 03:58 PM
Replies: 57 (1545 views)
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 01-27-2017 06:12 PM
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2017 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a new item on hand. I had only a few manufactured to see how they fit and get some opinions on what some think of it before I have a large batch made. Very easy to install. A few minute job. I don't want to say what it is until a few have installed it and give me some feedback and I have them in stock and ready to ship. So I'm looking for a few 84-87 Fiero owners with modified cars or want to modify there car (this is not something those who have all original cars would want). Someone who can install it right away. It only takes a few minutes to install. This is an item I have wanted to make for many years and never got around to it. I think many will like it. Will remove something in your engine compartment that looks odd in my opinion. This in my opinion will look significantly better.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2017 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Owner of an 86 and 87 GT here. 4 and 5 speed, respectively, with the 86 about to receive a supercharged 3800 transplant this year. Open to modifications and testing, both cars are daily drivers.
jetsnvettes2000

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2017 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about a 87 Choptop 2 hours north of ya with a fresh 3800 sc going in??

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 01-21-2017).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2017 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a heavily modified '87 SE with a 3.4 V6 and a Getrag 5-speed. I'm not sure what the item is that you're talking about, but I wonder if I've removed or modified it already... LOL.

Also, you have a PM.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 01-21-2017).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2017 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since Rodney mentioned 84-87, the mod must be applicable to Duke and V6 Fieros, which would exclude most things on the engine/transmission, except for common parts, such as the thermostat housing cap.

If 88 Fieros are excluded, then there must be something different about 88 Fieros that excludes them from the mod. So the main change for 1988 I can think of is suspension.

I'm guessing a strut tower bar!
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2017 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I received this 'secret item' on Wednesday. Had to make a small adjustment to my lift strut to take full advantage of the clean look of the secret item. I will have pictures posted tomorrow.
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2017 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the car need to be running? I have an '87 with a non-running Quad 4 sitting in it.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2017 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just guessing what it may be, I'll install one right away for you.

Car is heavily modified 84, with Aurora 4.0, 4T80 trans. Modified 308 body with reverse open decklid. I can get you nice pics of installation.

Bob
------------------

My Build

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 01-21-2017).]

LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2017 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My body is off my 86 GT. Quarter panel scoops with door and front fender mods are planned.. Rear suspension is coil overs.
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2017 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Would it work in the Stinger? May be interested one way or the other.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

I'm looking for a few 84-87 Fiero owners...

So it won't fit my '88 Formula? Aw, no fair!
PFF
System Bot
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got an 87 GT 5 speed.Already sporting many parts from you

Any thing new from ya would already be at home on it....
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 05:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll choose 2 people today and send you a PM.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 05:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Originally posted by Patrick:

Does not fit the 88 but I will be offering an item later this spring/summer for the 88 only. A vacuum formed part.

Looking at making a couple other vacuum formed parts (no, not tail light lenses).

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

lou

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 05:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for louSend a Private Message to louEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ready when you are.

[This message has been edited by lou (edited 01-22-2017).]

FIER086

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIER086Send a Private Message to FIER086Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 87 GT with a modified 3800SC w/ a 5 speed. Not sure what the product is but I am willing to try it!
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whoopsie!

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 01-22-2017).]

fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looking at making a couple other vacuum formed parts (no, not tail light lenses).

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking it gets rid of those stupid looking washers that go under the strut bolts. Never liked that look, I love the 88 because of the ring washer, much cleaner. Not sure why someone hasn't created a 84-87 version of it. Or why owners haven't just put 6 large washers under those nuts.

One other non-88 part is the dog bone cover, but not sure you could do anything with that?

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 01-22-2017).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I'm with Patrick on this one!
And I am so close.......

PS: still loving the dogbone I bought.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

I'm thinking it gets rid of those stupid looking washers that go under the strut bolts. Never liked that look, I love the 88 because of the ring washer, much cleaner. Not sure why someone hasn't created a 84-87 version of it.

OK already. That is what I am making. Can't get anything past you guys.

Was not as easy as you might think to design and I'll explain that later once I get a few out there and see them installed.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

[This message has been edited by Rodney (edited 01-22-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested in such an item. I have already changed and cleaned mine up for shows as my car is generally for show.

I have a stock engine but have made changed to clean thing sup here and there.

A clean and detailed compartment is my priority as I have one of the cleanest around and anything I can do to improve the looks the better. I have won my class at Pontiac Nationals and taken the top 5 award several times. With the influx of low mile G8 models, Solstice and other always improving Fiero Competition in the Modified class I have to keep looking for more things to improve what I have.
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok that won't work for me as I have the FS rear strut tower brace which uses a full powder coated ring for n each strut tower
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2017 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sending out 2 pair to two 84-87 Fiero owners. I am also looking for one owner that has a kit car or has removed his rear vent supports. On the 308/328's there is an issue with the steel braces that many 308/328 kits use that bolts to the long stud to support the rear deck lid hinges. So anyone that has a 84-87 308/328 kit that still uses the factory torsion springs would be OK. No special modified rear struts is preferred also.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2017 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney: No special modified rear struts is preferred also.

I think this refers to the '88 cradle swap. The strut relocation required for the '88 cradle swap will interfere with Rodney's strut mounting rings.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2017 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I think this refers to the '88 cradle swap. The strut relocation required for the '88 cradle swap will interfere with Rodney's strut mounting rings.

Yes and no. It is mostly about the length of the studs. The locking nuts should grab the studs. If the stud is too short the locking part of the nuts will not grab the two shorter studs. I have a strut complete sample here and the sheet steel chassis section. The nuts do grab enough but not by a lot. But the 88 has taller nuts and possibly some 84-87's used taller nuts?? When I start to sell these I'm probably going to include new low profile nuts like the GM originals and higher profile flange locking nuts and let the customer use the ones that work for them. So I want to see how these fit on cars that have retained the stock type rear struts, not modified in any way.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

spirit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2017 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have an 86 GT with 4.9. Would love to add it to my gold car. Several other mods.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2017 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I only had 3 pair cut for my R&D. I'm keeping one pair here. I'll have more made to sell once I get some feedback on the ones I'm shipping out today.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

steve308

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2017 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finished the install of the item Rodney sent for R&D. (Strut dress plate) He wanted to see how they looked on a '308' kit and what options could be used to address the hood mount / strut brace area. My vehicle also seems to have longer the standard strut studs so the concern of having the studs having providing ample area for the nuts were not an issue (at least on my vehicle). The car had been lowered by the previous owner so I am not sure if the lowering process allowed more strut stud length into the engine bay area. I want to apologize up front for the dirty engine bay.
On the passenger side the plate requires a bit of shimming in the area of the long bolt to have it fit flat. After a couple of different shims were tested a couple of small washers did the trick. There was no issue on the drivers side. The hood brace was mounted both under and over the plate. Under the plate lifts the plate to high. Over the plate works but it detracts from the clean look of the plate. I'm working on a fix. This will not be an issue if your kit does not have the same set up as mine.
Started with passenger side

hood brace under the plate

Over the plate with washers as shims

locked down

Drivers side

Both side installed - hood mount/strut mount will have to be redesigned

The pain of R&D

Hope this helps and I'll answer any questions you may have to the best of my ability.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2017 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This version is for kit cars. The Fiero version has large pads where the bracket bolts on to mimic the size of the oval washer.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2017 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm guessing g.m. bent up the lip for strength .. how much you loose with a flat sheet ring..
tin canning the tower tops will lead to cracks and then failure
PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 04:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

What struts are you using? I don't recognize the tops. Just curious.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 04:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

I'm guessing g.m. bent up the lip for strength .. how much you loose with a flat sheet ring..

I've seen people install engine braces with similar steel rings in varying thickness and widths for like the last 25 years. I've never heard of any failures. Can you show me some examples of these failures you have seen?

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

steve308

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 04:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

I'm not sure what brand of struts are on the car. I'll have to pull a wheel and look for a part number. Car was lowered front and rear by the original owner. If I remember my struts from my days in the auto part business they could be older KYB's or Sachs.
steve308

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 05:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

steve308

3969 posts
Member since Jan 2008

The rings I installed lay completely flat against the strut tower surface with the exception of the long bolt on the passage side. I used a single thin and I mean thin washer to 'flush up' the install. One well struck hammer blow on a work bench will most likely eliminate the need for a washer. The size of the gap on either side of the bolt is less then 1/8 of an inch. The rings are installed with the wheels on the ground so there is no shifting of the strut. As part of the R&D process you can be sure I'll be checking the towers for cracks or splitting and for any loss of torque on the bolts after each drive. All in all I don't think the rings which are basically cosmetic lessen or substantially increase the strength of the tower.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

I'm not sure what brand of struts are on the car. I'll have to pull a wheel and look for a part number. Car was lowered front and rear by the original owner. If I remember my struts from my days in the auto part business they could be older KYB's or Sachs.

Could be sachs as I know KYB, Monroe, Gabreril, Koni, stock GM, thus the curiosity.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2017 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've seen people install engine braces with similar steel rings in varying thickness and widths for like the last 25 years. I've never heard of any failures. Can you show me some examples of these failures you have seen?

There is a thread of this failure on the powertour in 2015 on here.. I am not any good with search.. so.. If I find it. it will be a chock
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

That strut has the upper bushing hat flipped, so it sticks up. This moved the strut shaft about 1" higher and can interfere with the decklid on some of the models. It looks like they cut the protruding strut shaft after the nut to gain additional clearance and welded the nut the shaft so it can't work loose.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroguru

12128 posts
Member since Aug 2003

There is a thread of this failure on the powertour in 2015 on here.. I am not any good with search.. so.. If I find it. it will be a chock

I believe it was 2016 and Tom Slicks Fiero (we both long hauled our LS4 Fieros). His issue was caused because the lower washer wasn't installed during the coilover build. So the only thing keeping the strut shaft in place was the rubber bushing and its bonding to the strut upper hat. After several years and thousands of miles, the rubber finally let loose and the strut shaft popped up through the vent grill. It had nothing to do with the strut hat bolts.

The bolts on the strut towers having a ring vs. 3 washers is a non-issue. The strut towers are 2 layers of steel and together they are close to 1/8" thick. The strut hat bolts to the bottom side of the strut tower and it is a little under 1/8" thick. On the 84-87s they have an additional 1/8" flat steel spacer plate that mounts under the strut tower, and then you get to the washers on top (84-87) or the rings on the 88's. The overall clamped metal thickness between all these sections is very close to 1/4" on the 88s and over that on the 84-87...
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

That strut has the upper bushing hat flipped, so it sticks up. This moved the strut shaft about 1" higher and can interfere with the decklid on some of the models.

Yes, I showed Here how a pre-existing "hole" had to be deepened in the decklid of my '84 for clearance.

The situation with an '88 notchie is a little different, and the image below of my Formula shows that it's the grill that actually needs to be modified for clearance.

Originally posted by Patrick Here:

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock