Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  308 kit car on eBay with lots of Mera wording (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
308 kit car on eBay with lots of Mera wording by Rodney
Started on: 01-21-2017 03:37 PM
Replies: 44 (1708 views)
Last post by: steve308 on 01-31-2017 04:27 PM
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2017 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262815425177?ul_noapp=true

Maybe some of you can help out. Use the "report item" option. I reported it a week ago and eBay took it down. He put it back up and is using lots of Mera references (same as the first time) and on one line added it is not a real Mera. Maybe if several or more report item maybe they will take it down again. I contacted him and told him I would report this to eBay and that he has a kit car and there should be little or no use of the word Mera when selling it. So report it as trademark infringement etc. Maybe if a bunch of you guys all report it eBay will take it down again.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2017 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He uses your name in his description too
turbodad2

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2017 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbodad2Send a Private Message to turbodad2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I emailed the seller and said" There were no 1984 MERA. I s this a kit?" His reply was "it was done using a mera to make this one". So it is a replica of a MERA that is a replica Ferrari 308...You can't make this stuff up!!! LOL. But in the end I think he is mis-representing what it is. A 308 replica with a 383 stroker which sounds like fun !
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by turbodad2:

I emailed the seller and said" There were no 1984 MERA. I s this a kit?" His reply was "it was done using a mera to make this one". So it is a replica of a MERA that is a replica Ferrari 308...You can't make this stuff up!!! LOL. But in the end I think he is mis-representing what it is. A 308 replica with a 383 stroker which sounds like fun !

Not as much fun as an 88 Mera with a fuel injected 383 stroker engine!

Nelson
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2017 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like he's updated the add to mention that it's based on a Mera, not that it is a Mera.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2017 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262815425177?ul_noapp=true

Maybe some of you can help out. Use the "report item" option. I reported it a week ago and eBay took it down. He put it back up and is using lots of Mera references (same as the first time) and on one line added it is not a real Mera. Maybe if several or more report item maybe they will take it down again. I contacted him and told him I would report this to eBay and that he has a kit car and there should be little or no use of the word Mera when selling it. So report it as trademark infringement etc. Maybe if a bunch of you guys all report it eBay will take it down again.

It might not be so fun if he does the same to you and to g.m. with a site with a fiero shield on the tap. and other places.. Sometimes the push back can hurt
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 04:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A mera is a kit anyways, so whats it matter?
I know someone that used to buy body panels from the company that did the meras. They got them complete from Pontiac, removed all the body panels and made the mera.
Just because they were sold through Pontiac doesn't mean it wasn't a kit. He would be better off selling it without the mera name in the ad, as hardly anyone knows what one is. Everyone know the Ferrari name. A kit off of a kit is probably worse.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 04:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

I know someone that used to buy body panels from the company that did the meras. They got them complete from Pontiac, removed all the body panels and made the mera.
Just because they were sold through Pontiac doesn't mean it wasn't a kit. He would be better off selling it without the mera name in the ad, as hardly anyone knows what one is. Everyone know the Ferrari name. A kit off of a kit is probably worse.

We had a Mera reunion back in the late 90's at the Corporate Concept plant in Capac, MI. Bob Bracey was not there. The 2 main guys that worked for Bob Bracey to develop the Mera were both there and gave speeches. The guy that worked for GM that did the clay work to set up the molds, Greg Stellmak was also there. One lady that worked in the production area was also there. They told us Corporate Concepts never sold any body kits and they never installed Mera body panels on a used chassis. So both of these guys lied to us? There were around 15 Mera owners in attendance.
------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

[This message has been edited by Rodney (edited 01-24-2017).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 05:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since Pontiac did NOT make the bodys, they are kits.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 05:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buick did not make the GNX, Ford did not make the Shelby, Chevrolet did not make the Yenko etc. These are all cars that were taken directly off the assembly line and shipped to outside companies, modified, then sent on to new car dealers to be sold as a new car. There are many cars out there that were made this same way. Same as the Mera. Only sold as a new car at a Pontiac dealer. 247 Fiero's new right off the assembly line were shipped via semi tractor trailer car haulers to Corporate Concepts. converted to Mera's then shipped via semi tractor trailer car haulers to new car dealers to be sold as a new car.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 05:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's still a kit, get over it.
PFF
System Bot
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know someone that used to buy body panels from the company that did the meras.

Who is this person. I would like to talk to him.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have and he said you got real pissed off about it.

Either way Pontiac did NOT make it, thus it is a kit.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You have and he said you got real pissed off about it.

Either way Pontiac did NOT make it, thus it is a kit.

Still waiting on the name of this person. Personally I think this is a lie. Why don't you clear this up Dave?

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Because I don't want the bashing to him. Doesn't matter Pontiac did NOT make it, it is a kit.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 05:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Because I don't want the bashing to him. Doesn't matter Pontiac did NOT make it, it is a kit.

Still a lie in my opinion. Clear this up Dave. Please.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 06:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You think anything anyone posts that you don't agree with is a lie, that fact is Pontiac didn't make it, thus it IS a kit.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 06:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You think anything anyone posts that you don't agree with is a lie, that fact is Pontiac didn't make it, thus it IS a kit.

I want to know about this guy that says he bought Mera panels from Corporate Concepts. Can you provide some details on that??

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 06:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't you read above posts? You "special" person, did you ride the short bus to school?

Of coarse you will call "liar" as you demand info that people just don't want to give up.

Either way your car is a kit, get over it already. I know you won't as you don't seem to understand logic.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a diversion to cover up your lie in my opinion.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000
From my Mera filing cabinet:

The only documented body panels made after production ended and before the molds were destroyed in the presence of the Ferrari attorneys were a rear clip and rear bumper for Gary Danielson in St Clair Shores, MI in the summer of 1989. His wife was driving on the freeway and someone moved over and damaged the drivers rear corner. Gary Danielson bought his Mera new from a Pontiac Dealer in the Detroit area. Mera serial number 8076.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2017 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Buick did not make the GNX, Ford did not make the Shelby, Chevrolet did not make the Yenko etc. These are all cars that were taken directly off the assembly line and shipped to outside companies, modified, then sent on to new car dealers to be sold as a new car. There are many cars out there that were made this same way. Same as the Mera. Only sold as a new car at a Pontiac dealer. 247 Fiero's new right off the assembly line were shipped via semi tractor trailer car haulers to Corporate Concepts. converted to Mera's then shipped via semi tractor trailer car haulers to new car dealers to be sold as a new car.

The vin was issued by buick on the GNX.. and most Shelby's other than the first few years..
And yes the g.m. chevy made the yenko's.. COPO.. only the 1st year is dealership installed parts package..
Same with 3rd gen f body converts,, or some t top cars over the years.. or the cho cho el camino...
Sub contracting part of the finished vehicle doesn't = not made by the OEM..
If that was the case every body on frame and unit body car with body by fisher would not be g.m. most of the sub-letted construction are g.m. owned companies either wholly owned or partly..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 01-24-2017).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2017 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

The only documented body panels made after production ended and before the molds were destroyed in the presence of the Ferrari attorneys were a rear clip and rear bumper for Gary Danielson in St Clair Shores, MI in the summer of 1989. His wife was driving on the freeway and someone moved over and damaged the drivers rear corner. Gary Danielson bought his Mera new from a Pontiac Dealer in the Detroit area. Mera serial number 8076.

So your fact that it was an oem made car and not a kit is a lawsuit that forced the molds/etc to be destroyed..
You think this be the case if Ferrari didn't push for the distruction of the molds??
Or do you think it also be sold as a DIY kit...
Sorry... I can buy a FFR datona coupe as a DIY kit or a Turn KEY vehicle.. the turn key vehicle doesn't become not a kit car.. because it was shop built..

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2017 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012
Mera was a completed Fiero that was then sent out and rebodied.. they did not get it as a body less spaceframe.. Or what would be called a body in white today.

And whom issued the v.i.n?? g.m. Pontiac or is this car a constructor v.i.n??

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by turbodad2:

I emailed the seller and said" There were no 1984 MERA. I s this a kit?" His reply was "it was done using a mera to make this one". !

So the dude is claiming he hacked up a Mera to put the Mera body on his own fiero?
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see where the confusion is. I am meaning he bought Fiero body panels from them, not mera panels.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Excaliber was made on a new Corvette Chassis and sold as a new car.

Rodney

[This message has been edited by Rodney (edited 01-24-2017).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2017 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Excaliber was made on a new Corvette Chassis and sold as a new car.

Rodney

with a constructor vin.... NOT the OEM model vin it was based on..
Many were also made from chevettes , but Whatever..
your mera is still a g.m. fiero with a kit body and interior added..
If your mera has a constructor vin... it be not a Pontiac but that isn't the case..
As the laws for getting a constructor car to pass epa and crash testing to get a vin issued was not going to happen..
Same reason the late model Shelby's are using 60's left over vin's as they never be able to afford to get the vehicles pass the testing needed..
and no todays late model Shelby mustangs are not Shelby's..
The late model olds powered Shelby and the newly built cobra's are.. and both used left over vin's from the 60-70's
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2017 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did some searching and found a collector car place where the guy has spent his whole life in the collector car world. I sent him an email asking what type of car one would call a Pontiac Mera. I'll see what he has to say.

Rodney Dickman
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-26-2017 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did some searching and found a collector car place where the guy has spent his whole life in the collector car world. I sent him an email asking what type of car one would call a Pontiac Mera. I'll see what he has to say.

Rodney Dickman

Good luck.. but one mans opinion doesn't make it so..
This is easy really..
whom does the government dept of motor vehicles list the vin under.. Pontiac or not?
What does the epa list the emissions standards under.. a 198_ Pontiac Fiero or a (fill in the blank) model mera..
Think you are not going to like the answers
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2017 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure he will agree it is not a kit car. A kit car is a kit one buys to install on their own personal (used) car. My opinion is a Mera is not a kit car. I'm not sure what one would call a Mera. I'll see what this guy has to offer.

Rodney
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-26-2017 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm pretty sure he will agree it is not a kit car. A kit car is a kit one buys to install on their own personal (used) car. My opinion is a Mera is not a kit car. I'm not sure what one would call a Mera. I'll see what this guy has to offer.

Rodney

incorrect...
many a kit car was sold by the kit makes as a turn key vehicle..
but again good luck..
I already know what the epa and RMV and H/wSafety dept think /list it as..
The emissions decal is a hint
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2017 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Play nice ------ from the GM yes GM production records:

1987 production
VIN
Type
Cars produced
1G2PE11R#HP2#####
Fiero
1G2PM11R#HP2#####
Fiero Sport
1G2PF11R#HP2#####
Fiero SE (I4)
1G2PF119#HP2#####
Fiero SE (V6)
1G2PG119#HP2#####
Fiero GT
1G2PG119#HP2#####
Fiero Mera
Total production

From 1988.
1988 production
VIN
Type
Cars produced
1G2PE11R#JP2#####
Fiero
1G2PE119#JP2#####
Fiero Formula
1G2PG119#JP2#####
Fiero GT
1G2PE119#JP2#####
Fiero Mera
Total production

Next pissing match please -----------
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2017 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My take, and I had a KIT based on the Mera, is that the Mera is not a kit. It was just outsourced to another manufacturer for modification FOR Pontiac, just like a Shelby Cobra for example. It was sold new only at Pontiac dealers. If you want to call it a kit, so was every Shelby (including AC) Cobra, Ford GT40 & Ford GT (The GT began assembly at Mayflower Vehicle Systems in Norwalk, Ohio and was painted by Saleen in their Saleen Special Vehicles facility in Troy, Michigan. The GT is powered by an engine built at Ford's Romeo Engine Plant in Romeo, Mi), Yenko, Thunderbolt Fairlane, and 428/429 Boss Mustang. Add to those Mustang, Camaro, and Firebirds made into convertibles by Concepts also for a few years before the manufacturer started making them by themselves on the regular assembly line. In my thinking, its a kit if an individual owner assembles it himself. If a manufacturer does it or has it done for them, it is not a kit. So you would be saying all these cars are kitcars?

Anyone is entitled to their opinion.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2017 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sold for $5400.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2017 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just curious, would that be the Gary Danielson, former quarterback for the Detroit lions??

Bob
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2017 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All that and you don't even get a radiator cap /sigh.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 01-28-2017).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2017 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"And yes the g.m. chevy made the yenko's.. COPO.. only the 1st year is dealership installed parts package.."

GM did NOT make the Yenko's ever. They only provided COPO cars to Yenko Chevrolet who rebuilt them to his specs. GM didnt even install the 427 engine until the final year...Yenko did it himself. They were all delivered to Yenko as finished cars with 396s. It was not a dealer 'package', it was a modified new car. Grand Spaulding Dodge (Mr Norm) did the same thing...order new Chryslers from the factory and rebuilt them to his spec before selling them as new cars. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yenko_Camaro

" Turn KEY vehicle.. the turn key vehicle doesn't become not a kit car.. because it was shop built.."

Ill say this might be a gray area. If Ferrari factory sent out a car to be rebodied at say Koinegsegg, retained the Ferrari VIN, and was sold by Ferrari thru a Ferrari dealer, its still a Ferrari...not a kit car. I guess the point 'could' be argued.

"If that was the case every body on frame and unit body car with body by fisher would not be g.m."

If GM sent out a chassis to Fisher Body to have it completed, by your own statement, a Cadillac with a Fisher Body is a kit, sold by Cadillac... In older days luxury manufacturers only completed a running chassis ( like Packard for example) and a coach builder of the buyers choice custom ordered the car body. It was sold as a Packard by the Packard dealer regardless of who built the body. It was also never called a kit.

A kit means someone has a car and builds it themselves with the parts necessary, or has someone build it for them. A turnkey KIT is done a shop that is in the business of buying or acquiring cars and kits for buyers, and assembling them for that buyer. Its advertised as a kit, and not as the car it replicates. I never saw a Mera ever advertised as a kit from Pontiac, and I saw the first print ads in car magazines offering them. As I remember it was called a Fiero Mera, sold by Pontiac, much the same a Pantera was sold by Lincoln-Mercury dealers. Ill take that back if you can show me an ad from Pontiac calling the Mera a kit...even a page from a Pontiac sales brochure will work.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 01-29-2017).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-30-2017 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

"And yes the g.m. chevy made the yenko's.. COPO.. only the 1st year is dealership installed parts package.."

GM did NOT make the Yenko's ever. They only provided COPO cars to Yenko Chevrolet who rebuilt them to his specs. GM didnt even install the 427 engine until the final year...Yenko did it himself. They were all delivered to Yenko as finished cars with 396s. It was not a dealer 'package', it was a modified new car. Grand Spaulding Dodge (Mr Norm) did the same thing...order new Chryslers from the factory and rebuilt them to his spec before selling them as new cars. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yenko_Camaro

" Turn KEY vehicle.. the turn key vehicle doesn't become not a kit car.. because it was shop built.."

Ill say this might be a gray area. If Ferrari factory sent out a car to be rebodied at say Koinegsegg, retained the Ferrari VIN, and was sold by Ferrari thru a Ferrari dealer, its still a Ferrari...not a kit car. I guess the point 'could' be argued.

"If that was the case every body on frame and unit body car with body by fisher would not be g.m."

If GM sent out a chassis to Fisher Body to have it completed, by your own statement, a Cadillac with a Fisher Body is a kit, sold by Cadillac... In older days luxury manufacturers only completed a running chassis ( like Packard for example) and a coach builder of the buyers choice custom ordered the car body. It was sold as a Packard by the Packard dealer regardless of who built the body. It was also never called a kit.

A kit means someone has a car and builds it themselves with the parts necessary, or has someone build it for them. A turnkey KIT is done a shop that is in the business of buying or acquiring cars and kits for buyers, and assembling them for that buyer. Its advertised as a kit, and not as the car it replicates. I never saw a Mera ever advertised as a kit from Pontiac, and I saw the first print ads in car magazines offering them. As I remember it was called a Fiero Mera, sold by Pontiac, much the same a Pantera was sold by Lincoln-Mercury dealers. Ill take that back if you can show me an ad from Pontiac calling the Mera a kit...even a page from a Pontiac sales brochure will work.

wrong.. as other dealers also used the copo to get factory 427 f bodys.. not JUST YENKO..

As for the mera ad.. they got court ordered to stop..
show me a constructors v.i.n. on one. and not a g.m. Pontiac installed one..
it is a fiero with an aftermarket kit.. Sold through Pontiac dealers.. no different than the early firehawks before g.m. brought it inhouse..
only reason it was never sold as a kit for DIY is enzo sued and won.. and forced the distruction of the tooling/molds.. before it got to that stage..
still a kit car..
Who is listed as first owner on all of them?? if it was a sub g.m. build it not have the mera constructors as the 1st owners..
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2017 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

wrong.. as other dealers also used the copo to get factory 427 f bodys.. not JUST YENKO..

As for the mera ad.. they got court ordered to stop..
show me a constructors v.i.n. on one. and not a g.m. Pontiac installed one..
it is a fiero with an aftermarket kit.. Sold through Pontiac dealers.. no different than the early firehawks before g.m. brought it inhouse..
only reason it was never sold as a kit for DIY is enzo sued and won.. and forced the distruction of the tooling/molds.. before it got to that stage..
still a kit car..
Who is listed as first owner on all of them?? if it was a sub g.m. build it not have the mera constructors as the 1st owners..

So to apply your logic ---- A Trans-Am is a kit / A Z-28 is a kit / A ZR-1 is a kit / The Monte Carlo SS is a kit etc. etc.

The MERA received a VIN from the production line assigned by GM as has been listed above. No MERA panels were sold to the aftermarket or to my knowledge any aftermarket body shops.

[This message has been edited by steve308 (edited 01-30-2017).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock