Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Let there be light...in the trunk...but only when you want it. A how to thread.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Let there be light...in the trunk...but only when you want it. A how to thread. by 1MohrFiero
Started on: 01-02-2017 08:13 PM
Replies: 17 (691 views)
Last post by: E.Furgal on 01-10-2017 06:50 AM
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2017 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My trunk light was broken when I bought my car. The bulb wouldn't stay on the socket and the plastic lens fit very loosely. I got a replacement but was still not happy with it.

While I was at a local Pick n Pull I noticed some of the lights in the late 80s model S10 Blazers and some mini vans. I picked up a couple and decided I liked this style because of the quality switch and I thought the colors look good in the trunk.

The light I chose is somewhat bigger than the old one and I needed to enlarge the original opening to accept it.

The first step is measure your new light fixture as precisely as you can and then make a cardboard template. Also check the depth to make sure it will fit in the channel in the trunk where the light goes. Next, it is helpful to tape off the area around the surgery site. Then very carefully trace the template on the tape and cut your opening. I used a Dremel Tool with a cut-off wheel. Hopefully this picture is clear enough to understand because my camera ate a few of the pictures of the prep.

Trim a little smaller than your template to give yourself some room for error. Your opening should look like this when the tape is removed.

Now replace your carpet and trim to the new opening size. Again leave just a little extra for error.

Luckily enough the wiring for the new light matched the old one. Orange for 12v power and white with a black stripe for ground. I used the new lights connector and spliced it to the old wiring.

Now I can turn the light off if I don't want it on when the trunk is open. If I accidently leave it on the trunk switch will turn off and keep it from running the battery down.

[This message has been edited by 1MohrFiero (edited 01-02-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2017 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1MohrFiero, I had a sale on this idea about 2 years ago and it was a sell out. The newer style you have takes a little more work to install but there are plenty of them in the yards.
Glad another Fiero guy is looking outside of the box for improvements.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/068671.html

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2017 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Spoon. I may collect a few and make them available. They are much nicer than the original.

Dwayne
Cokeologist

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2017 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CokeologistSend a Private Message to CokeologistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero:

Thanks Spoon. I may collect a few and make them available. They are much nicer than the original.

Dwayne

I would be interested
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2017 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cokeologist:

I would be interested

Sent you a PM.
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2017 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are usually for sale on ebay as well. I have purchased a couple, one for my 88 "mini wide body" project and another for my 3.8sc 84. Very handy, great write up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pon...6:g:a5sAAOSwYIxX-7hI
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2017 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bjc 350:

They are usually for sale on ebay as well. I have purchased a couple, one for my 88 "mini wide body" project and another for my 3.8sc 84. Very handy, great write up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pon...6:g:a5sAAOSwYIxX-7hI

While that model is an improvement on the original light the switch is not very good. That light is a bit smaller too.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2017 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

While that model is an improvement on the original light the switch is not very good. That light is a bit smaller too.

That looks like maybe its the one from the Acura Integra which a few people have used.

I picked one up but didn't use it for some reason. Maybe I didn't want to trim the sheetmetal. In the end, I just took the bulb out and have been in the dark ever since.

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2017 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's one solution. I used it myself for years. This wasn't difficult to do but I got to tell you that sheet metal in the trunk is tough.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2017 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The thing that always frustrated me was that the light shines right in your eyes- basically blinding you.....They really should have put it on the rear wall of the trunk- and with a switch.

That being said, this is a very nice modification....I may do this.....
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2017 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cvxjet

3625 posts
Member since May 2010
How did I get a double post..? Sorry!

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 01-04-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2017 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are the units themselves sealed or could the light bulb be replaced by a brighter LED one with a lower voltage draw?
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2017 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:
The thing that always frustrated me was that the light shines right in your eyes- basically blinding you.....They really should have put it on the rear wall of the trunk- and with a switch.

That being said, this is a very nice modification....I may do this.....
Nice mod but same here. Location is a big problem.
Light is buried under stuff or is blinding you. Have no clue what GM was thinking to sign off on this option.

White LED strips mounted just under the trunk seal on latch side could be better. If careful mounted won't blind you and light whole trunk. Likely need only 2-4 3 LED Sections, not light the whole width for truck.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2017 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree the location is not optimal but it was probably a GM money saving idea to use shorter wires.

An LED bulb might makeep matters worse because it would probably be brighter. The switch gives you control of when it is in your eyes.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2017 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use the LED replacement bulb and it give far more light, uses far less power and should last 4x as long. Quite frankly the only time that I shut the trunk light off is at car shows or when working on the engine. I just use a 1" L bolt on the latch to turn the switch off. Why should I want the trunk light out otherwise?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

winger1955

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2017 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for winger1955Send a Private Message to winger1955Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
went to the bone yard today and found a light. it came from a 96 blazer.,rear dome light with switch.i like this mod look. thanks for the post. it will be spring before I do the work. it is only 14 degrees out. I must have went through 24 blazers looking for this light. 23 had light with no switch. then I found one. Thanks ... p.s. I have an 88gt red.,beechwood, 5 speed.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2017 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's one solution. I used it myself for years. This wasn't difficult to do but I got to tell you that sheet metal in the trunk is tough.
Because that wall and brace is part of car's frame and strut towers bracing.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post01-10-2017 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
put an engine (underhood) light on the decklid and you'll not need the trunk light.. bonus is it'll light up the engine at night.. and are easy to get on a j/y crawl.. with internal switch..

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock