Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  What did you do to your Fiero in 2016, and what are the plans for 2017? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
What did you do to your Fiero in 2016, and what are the plans for 2017? by Threedog
Started on: 01-01-2017 05:06 PM
Replies: 52 (1025 views)
Last post by: 10SecSleeper on 06-26-2017 12:50 AM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2017 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Working on a MPFI system for Indy SD4 engine using the Edelbrock 2-bbl intake.
This is a plastic tube mockup. I got some Holley extruded fuel rail I'll be using.

The 2-bbl throttle body is from a Dodge 3.9L V6 - twin 42mm bores.
The nice part is the TB topend fits a 4-bbl air cleaner - so my carb bonnet fits.

I did an Autocad drawing for the carb manifold/TB adapter and had it water-jetted.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

IP: Logged
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2017 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drove the car to work a few times, otherwise put about 400 miles on it driving it around Silicon Valley as a weekend car.

Then on June 3rd, my company's lowest bidder transporter attempted to load the car onto a trailer. As he was backing it on, I suddenly saw a quart of red trans fluid barf onto the truck deck in front of the left rear wheel and told the driver to turn the car off. One of the hooks caught the transmission cooler line and pulled it off.

He then said it wasn't his fault, unloaded the car, and drove off. I called the relocation company and they apologized profusely (probably because I had sent them the photo evidence), and I told them I wanted an enclosed trailer to come pick it up and deliver it to my parent's house in Traverse City so I could fix it myself. I reached down into the bay by the transmission and re-routed one of the hoses so it bypassed the lines entirely and re-routed fluid back into the transmission, so the car could be moved under its own power. Burned myself on the thermostat housing and got a nice impression of the housing cap on my arm.

The truck driver called a week later while I was at my parent's place waiting for delivery, and he was calling from the parking lot of my apartment 4 hours south in Metro Detroit. The relocation company forgot to tell the new driver the address. Two days later it showed up, in the back of what looked like a large motorcycle or ATV trailer.

Ordered new stainless lines from the Fiero Store to replace the identical set I installed ~8 years ago.

To do this year:

-Replace the lines again

-Got a set of 15" GT rims that need to be restored, then get tires mounted and balanced and put on the car

-Misc. other stuff I've been putting off since I didn't have a place to work on the car in California
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2017 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2016:
Nothing!

2017:
Everything!
rennaizxance

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2017 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rennaizxanceSend a Private Message to rennaizxanceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well 2016 was the year I finally picked up another fiero. It's been way too long since I've had one. So of course that means that 2017 is the year for the engine swap and interior makeover and a dozen other plans that most fiero owners have when they first grab a new one. How much of that I get done depends on how much I can convince the wife (that was a 2016 event as well) to let me spend on the "cheap second car" I convinced her to let me get.
seq

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2017 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2016 started out with me fixing the engine in my 87 GT (with many thanks to people on this forum), and driving about 5000km throughout the year. Lots of fun.

Part-way through the year, I bought a low-mileage 88 Formula from a rather nice guy I drive past on my way to work. We decided to register the 88 in my wife's name. We'll likely take hers on some of the longer trips (Watkins Glen, etc) since it has air (and is an auto, so she's comfortable driving it). It needed a brake overhaul, though. Had the calipers rebuilt, ordered a rebuild kit for the brake master, and all new stainless lines for the brakes and transmission. Unfortunately, I ran out of time for the remainder of the year (and frankly, money, since I also replaced my Cobalt this year), so getting that on the road is left to this year.

Plan for 2017 is to finish the brakes on the formula (still need to rebuild and reinstall the master), replace the transmission lines (and change the transmission filter while I'm at it), then get the car safetied and on the road. 88 requires emission testing (while the 87 only required the presence of the emissions control equipment), so it may or may not require additional work. The engine has a ticking noise, which sounds like a stuck lifter, but which might also be rear exhaust header (from what I've been told). That issue hasn't even been looked at yet.

I'll need to change the brakes on the 87 as well. I might just do the pads, however.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2017 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915:

Drove it around the block three times and put back in storage.

There seems to be no crying smiley here on PFF...
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2017 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

There seems to be no crying smiley here on PFF...

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post01-10-2017 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stop worrying about if the INDY will be worth anything , and build it into what I want..
Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2017 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Big things I did in 2016 on my 86 GT were:

1) Gen 2 headlight swap
2) Monsoon Stereo CD Player with aux jack install

Plans (as of now) for 2017:

1) Keyless Entry Install

Rich
Xuin39

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2017 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xuin39Send a Private Message to Xuin39Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did absolutely nothing to my Formula throughout 2016. It has sat tarped, with the engine pulled the whole year...though I have moved it around in the driveway by hand.

Now 2017? Well, this engine stand magically appeared in my living room...along with a clutch kit and an LA1 3400 sitting in the barn waiting to be tanked.

[This message has been edited by Xuin39 (edited 01-10-2017).]

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2017 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xuin39:

I did absolutely nothing to my Formula throughout 2016. It has sat tarped, with the engine pulled the whole year...though I have moved it around in the driveway by hand.

Now 2017? Well, this engine stand magically appeared in my living room...along with a clutch kit and an LA1 3400 sitting in the barn waiting to be tanked.

Nice. Rebuild and anything else on the engine?
PFF
System Bot
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2017 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2016 was a Clutch line and slave cylinder. A new water pump 2017 will start with new shifter cables .that is it for now.
10SecSleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2017 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 10SecSleeperSend a Private Message to 10SecSleeperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 10SecSleeper:

Haven't had a Fiero since 2003, however I plan on getting a Fiero once I find the right candidate and this years plans include.

B207L swap with f35 5 speed out of my current daily driver. I purchased this car for $1000, I tune cars and I always focus on fuel mileage. I've been able to bring it from the stock 175 hp rating up to about 240 - 250 while having stock turbo setup. More importantly I get between 42 and 48 mpg highway depending on how aggressive I drive. Generally avg 40 mpg for a round trip.

The goal is 50+ mpg, 280 - 300 whp and a weight under 2600 lbs. Horsepower really isn't that important however as I have built cars with 1000+ and it's not really a priority these days.

Would be doing full suspension and brakes as well, In the past I've had a camed + spray Z06 that spoiled me basically. After parting ways with it I bought a 08 SRT-10 Viper and while it handled quite nicely it was a pretty harsh ride for a daily driver. I much preferred the z06.

So basically would like to build a car that could perform somewhat close to my z06 did as far as handling and brakes while getting the mpg of a Prius and the power to weight of a stock c5 z06.

Gonna be quite the project I'd imagine. I haven't came across any b207 based builds, I figure my biggest challenge will be keeping the Saab ecu setup. I do not want to mess with a stand alone ecu setup. As that gets quite costly and from what I can tell you lose out quite a bit as far as tuning goes unless you spend quite a bit.

Been looking all year basically. I finally came across what seems to be decent candidate. It's coming with a 3.8 SC engine that the guy had planned on rebuilding and installing. But I'm still wanting to go the b207L route.

2.0 4 cylinder from a Saab 9-3 = cheap, good power and mpg. I actually spent a few weeks reverse engineering the engines ecm to allow it to run without all the other stuff. Can also tune in speed density mode which will make the piping easier.

300 hp isn't gonna win alot of races, but will still be sporty and get 45 + mpg highway.

[This message has been edited by 10SecSleeper (edited 06-28-2017).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock