Body shops...ugh !!! by MadProfessor8138
Started on: 12-28-2016 07:42 PM
Replies: 47 (1497 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 01-19-2017 07:11 PM
MadProfessor8138

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2016 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got 4 cars that I will need to have painted come spring time so I've been trying to find someplace for the past few months.
I've visited 7 different body shops and here is what I've found....
1. Won't touch a Fiero
2. Won't touch a Fiero
3. Price starts at $5k and goes upward.....and it won't be a show car or even as nice as off the showroom floor.
4. Won't touch a Fiero
5. Won't touch a Fiero
6. Price starts at $6k and he will need the car for 3-4 months.....won't be a show car or as nice as off the showroom floor.
7. Price starts at $5k and I have to do all of the prep work...won't be a show car or as nice as off the showroom floor.

WTF ?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems that body shops now days would rather just bolt parts onto a car and get a huge check from the insurance company instead of actually painting a car.
Several of the shops admitted that they rarely actually spray paint anymore.

Has anyone ever thought of putting together a" comprehensive " list of shops or individuals that can supply parts,work on and paint Fieros?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2016 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadProfessor8138:

Has anyone ever thought of putting together a" comprehensive " list of shops or individuals that can supply parts,work on and paint Fieros?

Yes. There are a few attempts at a list on the forum. They go out of date about a week after they are written. Many paint shops are afraid of the plastic panels on Fieros. A Corvette resto shop would be your best bet.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2016 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same here the shops will only do insurance work, won't touch anything else.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2016 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More than 10 years old, most won't touch it. I got a quote for over $21K to paint the rear bumper, the roof, and the hood. Another quote for $6,500 for the whole car, but then they backed out.

Trying to find mechanics than both can and will work on a Fiero locally is difficult. One place had my Fiero for 3 days. They called and told me not to bring it back. When I got there, they asked me how to put it back together. It took all afternoon.

Growing up, if you needed exhaust, the kid at the shop would get some lengths of pipe, and bend and weld it for you. If you needed something painted, they painted. If you needed something fabricated, they fabricated. Even the backyard mechanics could tell parts by looking at them. What happened?
mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2016 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had the same dang issue when we looked at having our S60R repaired. It's only a 2006, and there was not a place in town that would think about looking at it for under 7k. Dang car's not worth that much...

Had the hood pop open at highway speed - 2 fenders, one hood, windscreen was already taken care of, and was not even going to ask about having those shorts replaced.

Long story short like what others have said it may be easier and less hassle just getting a new car. Any place that says customer service is job 1 - Im doing a 180 cause you've now bullshitted me before I even walked in the door.

Its a sad state for sure and the reason why insurance rates are so freekin high.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2016 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the same problem with imported cars every car i have owned pretty much.
AstroBDean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2016 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AstroBDeanSend a Private Message to AstroBDeanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just had my MERA repainted. Twice. It was a nightmare. Even after selecting a shop with a five-star rating, they wound up being extremely difficult. I had to essentially act as my own project manager. They never followed through on any projected timeline, and wound up painting the car the wrong color. I don't mean a shade or two off. I mean an entirely wrong color. In the end they made it right, and I feel they did a good job, but for $5200, it shouldn't have been the nightmare that it was.

The best luck I ever had with a paint job was when I had my del Sol painted. I worked with a shop that was small, staffed by mostly non-English speaking guys, and looked a bit sketchy. But for $2000, I wound up with a paint job that was every bit as good as these guys did, and they were dead on regarding their timeframe.

I hope you find the right shop. I'd just keep looking until you find the right guys. It seemed to help to find someone "excited" about the car. They seem to do a better job when they think it's a cool car.
bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2016 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I had my 86 notchy repainted I had the local Votec (Boces) kids do it, they were looking for vehicles to "practice" on. Just an Idea

dan
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2016 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went through the same issues when I had mine painted. Many shops wouldn't touch it because either a) its plastic, b) its too old, or c) its not paid for by insurance.

I finally found a place that seemed to be a mix of insurance-paid wreck repairs and owner-paid restorations which they did as time allowed. They were very honest about saying it would take awhile, and it did. Over two months, but they kept me in the loop and I was able to stop in whenever I wanted to see. It was just down the street from where I work.

Roger G. will probably have good advice once he sees this thread.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2016 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The place that worked great for me does old cars all the time, they are old car enthusiasts. Its a small place. They do a lot of newer car fender bender and deer hits, but also old car restoration. I had a black Fiero painted (panels on) (decklid and rear bumper were not painted), and buffed for 2k.
Ask people with old cars at shows who they use or would use.
This one is in Minnesota though.

http://kappysauto.com/

Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2016 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about Maaco?
Now, I understand some people have had trouble with them.. However, if you talk to the sales guy/gal there and get a chance to talk to the shop crew, just to let them know you have high expectations, you should get a good job our of it.. I don't mean acting like a jerk or anything.. Just let them know this ain't no taxi-cab paint job..

I've had several Fieros done at Maaco..
The key is doing as much prep work as you can on your own.. Remove all the lights, trim etc and if you're any good at taping, get a good solvent/body shop safe tape to mask off some stuff on your own..(you can do this right in their parking lot when you drop the car off)
For under $1,000 you can get a pretty decent job...

Good luck!

Mark
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2016 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Smaller, independent shops are usually easier to deal with than chains.
Since mine was a color change (black to blue-gray) I took everything off that I could (wheel wells, headlight doors, rockers, mirrors, body trim, emblems, etc.)
Since I was redoing the interior, I left the passenger seat out and the inner door panels off. (Less stuff for the shop to have to be careful of...)
Everything that I wanted painted body color (side scoops, engine grilles, mirrors, headlight doors, etc.) was placed in the passenger side floorboard.

Took several months, since the shop was "working mine in" between insurance jobs. Cost me $1800.
It's not perfect. I can find plenty of stuff to nit-pick, but it's decent. Lots of people have commented favorably.

Edit - snow will fly in hell before I ever go to a Maaco, unless I know someone who works at the shop. I've heard too many horror stories.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 12-29-2016).]

darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2016 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might want to check your local craigslist, or Angies List if it's available for reference. Be sure to visit the shop and check out their paint booth facilities. Some body shops farm the painting out to others.

I needed to have a front bumper repainted, and got a few quotes. The INS company paid me $825 for the damage (other person's fault). The large Autobody places, the ones with the fancy lobbies, wouldn't even quote it. Found a few small shops using Craigslist. Prices ranged from $150 to $300. Settled on a $250 job, and they did pretty good. I asked how much to paint the entire car, rather than just the front bumper, and they quoted me $1200 ($1500 if I wanted a color change). It was Christmas time, and the shop was a little slow ( and maybe they didn't know what they were getting into).

For reference, I had my El Camino painted a few years ago for $2K ( the paint alone cost $500- Merlot Jewel Metallic). Not a show job, but certainly a good daily driver quality. That one took a while, as the body shop was using it to fill in I think. Only good part was I got 8 coats of Clear- they used it for training of a new painter!

------------------
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e.

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2016 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only Maaco we had in this area closed their doors. Judging from the online reviews I can see why.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post12-29-2016 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shop don't touch full repaints, because the customers are #$%^(*&^%$#
They are never happy.. and always want it done yesterday..
The insurance job's keep the doors open.. have to be done in a timely manner.. and are their bread and butter..
Most old car owners don't want to pay for a full re paint and have zero clue on the amount of work it takes to get a long lasting paint job..
Most also lie about what the car needs.. or doesn't know the history of the car and the shop starts and opens a can of worms.. that the owner doesn't want to pay for .
So .most shops.. can't be bothered.. as all the old car owner will do is complain on forums that their car is in paint jail at x shop and go on and on bashing the place..
no business wants the bad press/word of mouth.. so to not get it, they won't touch them anymore.. or price it so high, the customer walks
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2016 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took mine to Maaco

I asked if they had painted fieros before and were able to show me a few they had done.

I had the work done and was satisfied with the results.
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-29-2016 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Consider on doing it yourself. Do your research & ask professional questions about techniques. Take a course if needed & do small pieces until you have mastered your learning curve.

That's what I plan on doing. With time & patience, no one will do a better job than you!

Based on an advice from a professional, I just purchased an air compressor & some spraying tools from Harbor Freight. No need to get the best tools since they all will perform the same.

When I'm ready, I'll go with PPG brand.

Good luck!
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2016 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It takes allot of work to get a good paint job if you don't take your time doing the prep work it wont last and look great so the better you want it to look the more time it takes to get it perfect as i am doing my own car right now i know i want it to be straight so i keep going over and over the same areas to get it right so if you want some one to do it all and right t will cost you and the nicer you want it the more money you have to pay 1 of the guys who restores cars around me said he gets $10,000 for his restoration paint job on any car

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 12-29-2016).]

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2016 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My compressor did not have the volume to drive a regular HVLP gun so I got the SPRAYIT LVLP one and used Eastwoods single stage paint.
Took the panels off, took my time and it came out fine. Not the greatest paint job but a decent 5 foot one!
Probably took longer to sand and polish than to actually shoot the paint!

MY advice though if you do it yourself invest in a good respirator and cover everything with dust sheets. I still have red dust in parts of my garage!

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2016 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the feedback everyone....
I should probably comment about a few things.
I can spray some of the nicest paint you will ever want to see......I have a few airplanes and helicopters to my credit,personally built and eventually sold,that are still turning heads on ramps around the country.
But there is a big difference between an aircraft and a car.
Most of my paint jobs took almost as long as the actual construction of the aircraft....prep work is extremely time consuming on any aircraft,you assemble and disassemble multiple times.
The major problem that I have is that I am lacking time and I do not have access to a proper facility anymore.

It bothers me that I know what it takes to paint a vehicle and then a body shop wants to quote me a price that is way out of line thinking that I'm dumb enough to believe them......lol

I will eventually find that one person running their own personal shop that will work for their money and do a great job because they actually care about customer satisfaction......
But until then....UUUUGGGGGHHHH !!!!!!! LOL

I'm curious about something......
For $5k..........what quality of paint would you expect on your car?
AstroBDean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2016 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AstroBDeanSend a Private Message to AstroBDeanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm curious about something......
For $5k..........what quality of paint would you expect on your car?

Not perfect, or you'll be disappointed. You should fall back in love with the car, but it will not be perfect. And if/when you nitpick the work, things generally get worse. Temper your expectations, be willing to compromise, and stay friendly, and you should be happy with a $5k paint job.
PFF
System Bot
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2016 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just curious what the group members would expect for $5k of their hard earned money...
There's no way that I would ever pay someone more than $2k to paint one of my cars...and that's with them doing the prep work.
I'm not talking body repairs...I'm talking about prep sand and taping everything,then paint and polish.
Like I said,unfortunately,I know what it takes to paint something as far as materials,time and skill so I'm not suckered into the BS these guys pass on to customers to justify their highly inflated prices.
Think about the monthly salary of the average American.....at $5k,the body shop wants to take the monthly salary from someone for a job that will take them 2-3 days to complete and both shops admitted that it would be a half-assed job too.....
Sounds kind of greedy to me.......but then again,I'm a dying breed because when something leaves my fabrication shop the job was done with the quality as if it were my personal item.
I still take pride in my work.....not many people do now days.

[This message has been edited by MadProfessor8138 (edited 12-30-2016).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2016 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So your lack of time and place prevents you from doing it better yourself, even if you know how to do it. The guy paying the mortgage on his paint shop will have no sympathy for you, not to mention those EPA inspectors he has to deal with. Maybe in a few months he will be able to reduce his prices.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2016 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a PFF member in the Atlanta area that does excellent work on whole car painting. I have used him to paint two different vehicles and he can turn out show quality paint jobs. paul is certainly not the least expensive painter around but he does quality work with a panels off job. Contact Tha Driver on PFF to reach him. If he does not answer the PM or e-mail, contact me via PM and I will supply his number.

Nelson
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2016 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What happens in a few months?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2016 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What happens in a few months?

The EPA may be gone....
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2016 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well,I can promise you one thing......the EPA is about the least of anyone's concern here.
Have you ever been to Kentucky?! Lol
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2016 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I spent about 6 months planting lead in the hillsides at Fort Knox.....so, maybe the EPA does avoid Kentucky. Every other house had a toxic landfill in the front yard. Is that any better now?
nosrac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2016 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't paint it. Vinyl Wrap or plasti dip.
tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2016 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by busa_powered:
I took mine to Maaco

So did JohnWPB.

I think they're all franchises, so YMMV. Someone I know took his MX-6 to Maaco to have a door repainted. The paint job was terribly orange-peeled, and they had overspray everywhere. They were given 2 retries. Worse every time. Took car to his dad, who stripped and painted the door in a few days in his home garage. Beautiful job.
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2016 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which range were you on?
You do realize that I'm 10 minutes from Ft.Knox right?...lol

Ever see that old movie The Toxic Avenger?
Well,that was just one of the local boys that was dumb enough to swim in the Ohio river...lmao
PFF
System Bot
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2016 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MadProfessor8138

351 posts
Member since May 2015
I've researched wrapping it and plasti dipping it......both have their pros and cons.
Wrapping is very expensive....at least around here.....was quoted $4k for a basic job.
Plasti dip looks cool but I can't find anyone around here willing to do a whole car....and I've read that it's not very durable.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2016 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

So did JohnWPB.

I think they're all franchises, so YMMV. Someone I know took his MX-6 to Maaco to have a door repainted. The paint job was terribly orange-peeled, and they had overspray everywhere. They were given 2 retries. Worse every time. Took car to his dad, who stripped and painted the door in a few days in his home garage. Beautiful job.

That's why I said to do your homework and see if they have even painted fieros.

Mine had pictures.
Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2016 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Meh.. I don't get the plasti-dip rage.. Looks sh**y and does not hold up.. I've bought a few and stripped them immediately...

[This message has been edited by Indyellowgt (edited 12-30-2016).]

zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2016 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've got 4 cars that I will need to have painted come spring time so I've been trying to find someplace for the past few months.
I've visited 7 different body shops and here is what I've found....
1. Won't touch a Fiero
2. Won't touch a Fiero
3. Price starts at $5k and goes upward.....and it won't be a show car or even as nice as off the showroom floor.
4. Won't touch a Fiero
5. Won't touch a Fiero
6. Price starts at $6k and he will need the car for 3-4 months.....won't be a show car or as nice as off the showroom floor.
7. Price starts at $5k and I have to do all of the prep work...won't be a show car or as nice as off the showroom floor.

WTF ?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems that body shops now days would rather just bolt parts onto a car and get a huge check from the insurance company instead of actually painting a car.
Several of the shops admitted that they rarely actually spray paint anymore.

Personally I would be grateful that they are upfront with me telling me they wont touch it compared to blowing a bunch of smoke up my a$$ and being unhappy with the end results. This is one reason that I am very hesitant to have either of my Fieros painted. I have very high standards and have seen a lot of "show cars" at cruise nights and shows with terrible body work and/or paint work, then have chatted with some of the owners who are clueless as to what a quality job looks like.

Most shops don't want to actually work these days. Whether it is a wheel and tire shop that refuses to put anything but factory spec on a vehicle, or alignment shops that will only do toe'n'go alignments, or even mechanics that have no idea how to fix a car unless they can plug it into a scan tool.

I would try to find a small family run body shop that's been in the business for generations, that still takes pride in their work.
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2016 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's my goal......to find an individual that runs their own shop and still takes a little pride in their work......but it's easier said than done.
REDLINE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2016 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for REDLINESend a Private Message to REDLINEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a few local rental paint booths that I found on CL. If your willing to shoot it yourself, they will provide any and all levels of service from just an hour for a few small parts up to days for full car jobs. Any combo in between can be done also from all you to all them. Two day rental gives me acess to all prep equipent and material, half day paint booth with top line spray equipment, overnight curing booth and same next day process for clear coat. Runs $500 per 24 hours so you pay for whatever hours needed to do the job. Any help needed at any level is extra but good if you run into an issue you may need help with.

I have done a full job starting final prep on a Sat morning and done and out the door early Monday morning for $1200 all said and done. This is with my own paint supply. If you have a few hours to days and decent skill it's another option for someone that doesn't have the facilities. It may not be evryone's cup of tea but works for me.

Just another possible option for some....
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2016 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would look around for a small operation that buys/sells rebuilt vehicles (this is very common in KY). Their margins typically are less than doing insurance work, so they may be more willing to work your cars into rotation for a decent price. If they outsource the painting, they likely get a volume discount that you might be able to take advantage of.

You could tell them you have 4 cars to paint and as long as they keep the quality of work to high standard on each car, you will have them paint all 4 of them in a 3-6 month window. 4 paint jobs is 10K - 20K and should be a significant revenue opportunity for a smaller operation.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2016 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I would look around for a small operation that buys/sells rebuilt vehicles (this is very common in KY). Their margins typically are less than doing insurance work, so they may be more willing to work your cars into rotation for a decent price. If they outsource the painting, they likely get a volume discount that you might be able to take advantage of.

You could tell them you have 4 cars to paint and as long as they keep the quality of work to high standard on each car, you will have them paint all 4 of them in a 3-6 month window. 4 paint jobs is 10K - 20K and should be a significant revenue opportunity for a smaller operation.

but what if you only have one car you need painted?
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2016 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had my car done here in North Ridgeville by a guy that owns his own shop. He mostly does insurance work, but does classic cars too. He had a few in his shop when I was there. Nice guy, and does good work. Did my Formula, panel off and shot the space frame too. Here is my thread on what he did.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/094374.html

Roger Garrison thought he did pretty good on it, so thats saying something.

If you are interested in bringing the car up I can give you his information.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock