RockAuto is committing fraud by paulsobj
Started on: 12-18-2016 09:08 PM
Replies: 43 (1923 views)
Last post by: DotTC on 12-23-2016 12:45 PM
Gary W

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2016 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gary WSend a Private Message to Gary WEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My insight comes from a conversation I had with a Chinese rep who was getting out of the business. He told me that, at least in their sector, they simply didn't have the level of machinery needed to make things like bearings to precision standards all the time. At least on the Mainland they are still behind in their tooling. They make large batches and then bin them like Intel does with their processors - some meet the spec they were shooting for but many don't. But when they get a big order for high-precision and they have only 1,000 of them but have 2 million lower precision bearings sitting around, they are told to re-label them and ship them out. They have no problem lying. It's the same process that leads them to just fabricate UL or CE labels on electronics that were never tested - just give the Stupid Americans what they want. It's cheaper to print the label than it is to make a product that will pass UL testing. If it gets found out, they just re-name the company and carry on.

Even companies here do all sorts of hinky things that some would consider fraud. I think it's Gates who sells a Subaru timing belt kit that's labeled "Made in the USA", but when opened, it turns out the idler pulleys say Made in China. When pressed, their answer was that since the kit was packaged in the USA it's legit. The box was made in the USA and someone in the USA put all the kit parts in the box. Fraud or misleading marketing?
IP: Logged
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2016 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My background is with my own company and those I work with. I meet and deal with reps from many companies and they fill in the blanks on what is going on. I even am lucky enough to meet some of the Americans that are on site when they come here to meet with us. They fill us in on how things work and don't work.

China is not America or even a Western company and you really have to look at it differently.

You can not judge them in western terms as they are a very different culture at a very different time in their history.

In this country the government wants the blessings of capitalism but they also want to remain in full control of their country.

The west MFG want in as this country is the largest and fastest growing market for good in the world. The government is willing to look the other way to get what they want intellectual property and technology. In many cases if you make a product there you have to partner with one of their own companies and you also have to share the technology of what you make there.

Sure cost are lower to make things but the growing consumer market there would draw so many companies there anyways. It is a matter of survival as economically many would have failed with out being in that market. Just look at the income GM gets from China sales alone.

As for China they are not a country of ethics. As like Russia it is a culture of almost anything goes if there is an advantage in it for them.

China also has the ability to make anything at any level of quality as needed. They can make the most advanced Smart Phone but yet they can make the same tools that rust in your tool box. Most of it is all about how the western companies manage their ties. You have to have feet on the ground.

The people there are also very diverse too. Some are people who came in from the country looking for work and better life. Companies will offer dorms to give them a place to live and eat. They send the money home. Often they will change jobs because one company will offer better food and the same wage.

Others are doing well and would be termed middle class in America. Some also are to the point they have started business and they have the plants in China but will live in Hong Kong where things are a little more lax. The government looks the other way as long as they provide the government with what they want.

There is a lot of fighting over control and corruption in the government. We seldom hear or see it here but it goes on.

The economy over there is not all Rosie. There is a lot of property that remains empty as no one can afford it. There are Cities that have been built and few people living in them. They have had a housing bubble and it is on the verge of bursting.

The government jerks people around with money values and regulations are only for what benefits China.

China is that market where you hate to go to but with the way the global economics are you have to go or risk failure. We have made some bad deals with the government and lost much of our leverage. We need to get this back and make things a little more fair.

In the mean time American firms are trying to make their way with these issues and some do well and some get burned as they get in over their heads.

The first thing all of us here need to learn is not to underestimate China. The thinking that all they make is crap is wrong. Also they are not the most ethical people there today. They are hard nosed and out for themselves no matter if it is always legal or right.

Also they are not going to go away and we just need to make better deals and work to earn more leverage we can use in making our deals. For too long they have called the shots with everyone else. If they economy slows their value drops. I hope we can make them see that.

As for marginal business with other companies. Like I stated before many will have forgings or castings done there and then ship them to the states for finishing with machine works and then boxed. they term it made in the USA right on the product. While partially true there is still an element it is still not in a way.

Also many plants in Mexico are staffed with Chinese workers and engineers. They are setting up production for many electronics there and appliances.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 12-21-2016).]

wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2016 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by paulsobj:

Not saying we don't use scrap, I said use more ore. I was saying that China has used more scrap to ore ratio in the past. The US still does but at a smaller ratio. BUT I am by all means not qualified to answer this question. I dad works with steel mfg for a large mfg company. He is still not qualified but more then I am.

That's not how you worded your sentence. You wrote that China makes the majority of its steel from scrap and that the US makes most from ore. That's not the same thing as a ratio of ore to scrap in each location. In any case, I don't know who makes more or less from ore or scrap all I know is that China does in fact get some ore from Australia and definitely also from the US. I am from Michigan and let me tell you when the China boom was happening lots of ore left the UP for there and I'm pretty sure they didn't use it for necklaces

I don't think Rock Auto is intentionally ripping anyone off no matter how the US and China make their steel
DotTC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2016 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
Alll the stuff I get at Autozone are Dura last. Carquest here sells something else, forget what...havent bought anything in years since the local one moved way across town.

I doubt AutoZone would sell Carquest anymore. At least I couldn't see AutoZone selling a competitors(Advance Auto) parts.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock