Fiero Prices Going Up? by Maloso
Started on: 12-09-2016 10:42 PM
Replies: 22 (473 views)
Last post by: Maloso on 12-10-2016 09:21 PM
Maloso

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2016 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MalosoSend a Private Message to MalosoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been out of the Fiero scene since I sold my 88GT in 2010, saw what looked like an 87GT driving next to me yesterday and decided I'd drop by to see if this forum was still active.
Anyhow I was checking Fieros on Craigslist and there seems to be an abundance for sale here in the LA area but what surprised me the most was how they've held their value over the years.
Have you guys noticed prices going up on these cars when buying or trying to sell them?

[This message has been edited by Maloso (edited 12-09-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
alcazar88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for alcazar88Send a Private Message to alcazar88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Over the last couple of years I have seen more selection of well maintained, low mile fieros on the market. So I'm not sure prices have gone up as much as there just happen to be more higher quality, higher price examples on the market. I do think they have been holding their value well, as long as they are maintained. If you are getting back in the Fiero game, look around and you can find a really good one in the model and options you want at all different price ranges.
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my area I can think of at least 6 owners that have either passed away or fallen ill and their cars have consequently been auctioned. I think a lot of the older baby boomer generation Fiero owners are letting their collections go to sale the last few years. Have seen a lot of very nice Fiero's going for higher prices of late too online and @ auction.
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It depends what you consider nice. I know that really low mile car 40k or less will fetch 8k USD from my research over the last 2 years. Here in Canada a similar low km GT in mint condition are fetching 10k the exchange is killing us Canadians. Now that said a lot of people on this forum call a 80 100 mile GT with no rust as mint but it won't win you prizes at shows or be one that you will keep pristine and go up in value. Plus the majority of the "mint" gts have engine conversions and from a collectors perspective they are not desirable. I bought my 87 GT with 40miles for 7k Canadian which is a steal now compared to similar condition one selling on the market today.
Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a 14k mile 88 GT for sale near me on Craigslist for about $12k but the thing has been on there for over a year. The ones I actually see sell relatively quickly are the more modestly priced examples in the $2-5k range.

------------------
Past:
1988 base coupe sold
1984 base coupe rust
Present:
1986 SE 2m6

jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That 14k 88 GT would sell fast at 8 to 9 k but the seller is probably
Holding
Out.
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jjd2296

1425 posts
Member since Jan 2016
There has been nothing on that pristine condition that sold for 2 to 5 k I'm the retail market in the last 4 years unless your very lucky to get a barn find at an estate sale which is usually where the dealers find them and then charge 8 k for them.
Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jjd2296:

There has been nothing on that pristine condition that sold for 2 to 5 k I'm the retail market in the last 4 years unless your very lucky to get a barn find at an estate sale which is usually where the dealers find them and then charge 8 k for them.

I didn't know the OP was only talking "pristine" condition cars. Also, I don't think I've seen a Fiero on a dealer lot in over a decade in this area (plus, OP referenced Craigslist, not dealers). Barn finds can be a crap chute with all the work that has to go into them. The cars I see move on Craiglist are in the range I mentioned. The really nice ones commanding a premium price seem to sit on the market for a long time. Again, that's just what I've noticed in my particular area.

------------------
Past:
1988 base coupe sold
1984 base coupe rust
Present:
1986 SE 2m6

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was browsing ebay a few days ago, trying to get an idea of the value of certain Fiero model cars and other Fiero memorabilia and the real Fieros that came up were priced pretty high. One was in the $600 range but also one was in the mid $20K price range. The largest majority of them were $8-10K and higher. Mostly private sales.
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your bang on there. And for the other member I wasn't talking about your local gm dealer! I'm talking about classic car dealers
commerce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for commerceSend a Private Message to commerceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have noticed the fiero being included in more articles like this one, which should help keep the value of the car up a bit.
Pennocks is mentioned.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/a...or-gearheads.html/2/

PFF
System Bot
Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jjd2296:

And for the other member I wasn't talking about your local gm dealer! I'm talking about classic car dealers

Perhaps it's apparent I live in a rural area as classic car dealers didn't even cross my mind. The only classic car dealer I see is a farmer named Elmer who lines up a few rusted out sh*tboxes next to the highway with cardboard "For Sale" signs taped to the window.

------------------
Past:
1988 base coupe sold
1984 base coupe rust
Present:
1986 SE 2m6

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any "collectible" car sells at a price based on the demand. IMO, many car collectors would be interested in special interest/one of a kind Fieros but few are interested in stock Fieros. My experience is that they are hard to sell and when they do, they bring little money. The one year 88's are a bit more in demand but even those don't bring the big bucks of the classic Vettes, Muscle car era Firebird Camaros, Challengers the 57 Chevys etc, .
The Fiero appeals mainly to the low budget car enthusiast. I put it in the same value class as the Buick Reatta, the Corvair and many other 80's era cars. While not a high value car, the car remains an enjoyable "cult classic" for the working person with a bit of disposable income and you don't ruin the value with modifications. I'd venture to say that most Fieros sell in the $500-$5K range and they are not rising in value but who cares, they are still fun.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think this sums it up pretty well. Cars like that are going to go for a premium, $12k is pricey for a Fiero (albeit in good condition and low miles), but look at the other cars for sale at the same dealership. There's a reason it's down near the bottom when you sort by price, and the only Fiero on the lot, Gateway realizes it's not in their best interest to invest in a bunch of Fieros!

I bought my 88 Formula for $3200 with 69,000 on the clock almost two years ago now. I've gotten a new paint job, new interior, lots of new parts in the engine, tires, suspension, brakes. Would I expect to get more than $5k? No. I put the money and work into it for me to further my enjoyment of the car, not for the next owner. I don't know when I plan I selling my car, I realize I won't keep it forever, I'd be surprised to keep it through college, but in the meantime and when I can afford it, I'll make improvements so I can enjoy my car more. I do it at my leisure and when my expenses can be justified at the time. I'd shocked if I got more than $4500 for my car whenever I do decide to sell it.

Sometimes though when you search craigslist you'd be shocked at some of the prices you see for people's junk. They see one Fiero in good condition selling for $7500 and they immediately think their '84 duke with 129000 miles, crappy paint, that's been sitting in a field for 2 years is now worth at least $3000 because it's a Fiero. You find this a lot with 4th gen F body's. Go ahead, look at what people want for their V6 Firebirds or Camaros. Then go look at what people want for their Z28s and Trans Ams. These are nearing 20 year old cars now and people still want $10k+ for their V8 F-body's with 100k+ miles? Maybe it's just me, but I could never justify spending that much money on a car with miles past the century mark. But maybe that's also why I drive a Fiero!
railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dylpro:

I think this sums it up pretty well. Cars like that are going to go for a premium, $12k is pricey for a Fiero (albeit in good condition and low miles), but look at the other cars for sale at the same dealership. There's a reason it's down near the bottom when you sort by price, and the only Fiero on the lot, Gateway realizes it's not in their best interest to invest in a bunch of Fieros!

I bought my 88 Formula for $3200 with 69,000 on the clock almost two years ago now. I've gotten a new paint job, new interior, lots of new parts in the engine, tires, suspension, brakes. Would I expect to get more than $5k? No. I put the money and work into it for me to further my enjoyment of the car, not for the next owner. I don't know when I plan I selling my car, I realize I won't keep it forever, I'd be surprised to keep it through college, but in the meantime and when I can afford it, I'll make improvements so I can enjoy my car more. I do it at my leisure and when my expenses can be justified at the time. I'd shocked if I got more than $4500 for my car whenever I do decide to sell it.

Sometimes though when you search craigslist you'd be shocked at some of the prices you see for people's junk. They see one Fiero in good condition selling for $7500 and they immediately think their '84 duke with 129000 miles, crappy paint, that's been sitting in a field for 2 years is now worth at least $3000 because it's a Fiero. You find this a lot with 4th gen F body's. Go ahead, look at what people want for their V6 Firebirds or Camaros. Then go look at what people want for their Z28s and Trans Ams. These are nearing 20 year old cars now and people still want $10k+ for their V8 F-body's with 100k+ miles? Maybe it's just me, but I could never justify spending that much money on a car with miles past the century mark. But maybe that's also why I drive a Fiero!

I can't agree more.
From a personal side I have priced mine in the mall at what I would be willing to actually sell it for.
Not what I think it is "worth", but what it would take to pluck it out of my hands so to speak.

It is winter here and I am bored not being able to work on the GT, so I have been searching the web for similar GT's.. dang, not too many out there and the ones I do find are nice and priced to show that.
Now if they actually sell, that is another story.
Most of the ones I find in the "reasonable" price range would take much more than the cost of a nice one to bring to the level of the nice ones.

I also think that many people who truly do love the Fiero are actually hanging on to them longer now because they enjoy them and working on them.
Mine more than likely will never sell, but I put it out there in case someone is actually looking for what I have, and wants it bad enough.

My history with Fiero's goes back to when they were new, many in between that I bought ridiculously cheap by todays prices, and now cannot find a single one in that condition and price range.
The last Formula I had I paid $1500 for back in 2007, was from California, needed paint new seats, and that was it.
Try finding that these days

Yes, the prices will be increasing as the availability lessens, and if for some unknown reason the collectability somehow gets a nudge, we should all be proud and happy to have one.
I know I will have one until I cannot get in and out anymore, and we are nearing that point lol.
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off your example is a poor one. It's an 86 GT automatic! That car isn't worth any more than 7000. An 86 GT with 4 speed and 28km which is 17miles recently sold this summer at a dealer here in Ontario for 7500. An 88 with 40miles are fetching 8 to 10k by real collectors not your average Joe who can barely afford to buy the car. While your right they are still at the bottom of the price list for collector cars but so are other cars that don't have as much as a demand. In 10 years from now I estimate that a low mile 88gt will be in the 15 to 18k range. I know what I'm talking about my family has been in the car business for 20 years. That said said some people are asking crazy prices now in that range but they are sitting for ever and not selling. Like I said I bought my 87 GT 5 speed with 65km for 7k Canadian which is 5300 us that's right on the money or a Canadian unit as there are not very many Canadian built low km no rust mint condition pieces left.
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jjd2296

1425 posts
Member since Jan 2016
And before someone corrects me about "Canadian built" I mean exported to Ontario from Michigan. Like a 3 hour drive!!!

[This message has been edited by jjd2296 (edited 12-10-2016).]

Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As far as things rate for value, I don't believe having a car with klicks rather than miles is a real selling point. That 86 GT still only has 14000 miles and looks like it was a Summer time Sunday driver. It's an automatic? So what? Think it won't win shows? You're fooling yourself. And if someone who's looking for a Fiero like that 99% chance they arent buying it as a daily driver. Would I personally pay $12k for that car? No, but I think it's actually more reasonably priced than other examples I've seen. $9k maybe 10 I would think is more than reasonable for a car in that condition. Still doesn't mean I'd pay that much. Isn't that what everyone says, a cars only worth as much as someone will pay for it?

I read an article the other day about another 2 door Pontiac, the Sunbird. I was reading the comments and lots of people loved these cars, I'll be honest the reason it peaked my interest is because I saw a picture of the interior of one and it had the same paddle horn steering wheel as my Formula which I thought was interesting. One comment stuck out to me though the most. "Rare doesn't mean $$$". It fits the Fiero aptly.

Railshot got it right on, the reason I'm keeping my car is because I enjoy to drive it, not because I think of it as an investment. As a teenager in college I'll have quite a while to enjoy the car as far as getting in and out lol. It's also relatively easy for me to work on. I can do a lot of work on my Fiero with the $20 mechanics tool box I picked up from Walmart. I too posted my Fiero for sale for a time a few months ago with a price of $5,000. I don't think it's worth that, but as RS said, that's how much you'd have to put in my hand to get that title. I didn't get a single response to that sale ad. Oh well, I'm still enjoying it!
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to clarify I didn't mean a poor example of a mint GT rather a poor example of one fetching between 8 to 10k because it's an 86 and an auto. I'm sure it would fair well at shows. I was suggesting that what some consider nice and in the 5k range would not meet the standard of show quality.
alcazar88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alcazar88Send a Private Message to alcazar88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To me, the big difference in what I would pay is on the paint condition and the vast majority of fieros I see for sale need paint at this point. Around here, to get the paint as I would want it would cost about 5k. And since I prefer factory paint, I would pay 5k more for a car with pristine paint than one with the same miles that looks like it sat outside. It's simple for me, low miles and well maintained 88 with bad paint, ~5k, low miles and well maintained 88 with pristine paint, ~10k. I only watch the 88s. Those who can paint their own cars have an advantage, but that is a major decision for me. And usually if paint is pristine, so are the sail panels, the tail light lenses, the glass, and the plastic, because those have been stored indoors.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Of late some Fiero's are seeing an increase in value. Mostly low mile original cars. Mostly V6 or GT cars.

Also cars with well documented and well build modifications or special aftermarket items or even prototype parts like the power steering etc.

But as Some Fiero values increase so has everything else of any interest too.

It is still if you want a Fiero to enjoy buy one if you want an investment get into the market.
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before we reach a conclusion, look not at what prices Fieros are advertised at, but by what prices they actually sell for. The answer is not much. Over the years I put $9K-$10K and hundreds of hours of labor, in my Fiero and I'd be lucky to get $5,000 for it. This clearly illustrates that Fieros go down in value.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Maloso

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MalosoSend a Private Message to MalosoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero 88:

There's a 14k mile 88 GT for sale near me on Craigslist for about $12k but the thing has been on there for over a year. The ones I actually see sell relatively quickly are the more modestly priced examples in the $2-5k range.

Mason City representing lol, my son lives out there so I'm forced to make the trip every other month to see him.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock