Started on: 11-22-2016 10:32 AM
Replies: 18 (640 views)
Last post by: PK on 12-05-2016 11:44 AM
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2016 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anybody have a good way of stopping the seatbelt from wearing a hole in your neck? Just wondering if there is something to adjust or a device to add that prevents this. I havent tried the pads yet because they seem to be more about pressure on the shoulder.

Thanks
Dwayne

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2016 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
could try one of these (many places sell)

jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2016 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pull a little slack in the belt to where it's comfortable and snap a "bulldog" paper binder at the opening so it doesn't retract back in. Or you could use a nail/pin so it's not so noticeable. Just don't shut the belt in the door when you get out.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2016 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seat belt covers on the belts in the back of my truck. The center shoulder belt cuts right across my 5 year old granddaughter's neck when she's in her car seat and the outboard belts can do the same for adult passengers. Each has a cover made from something similar to a microfiber cloth, light padding, and closes with a Velcro strip where it overlaps. They stay in place very well without riding up or down. Similar to these:

http://www.globalindustrial...fBvdACFRc8gQod LDEC6g

Try Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Car...458/bn_562686/i.html

Try Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/s/re...1&crid=3AQF8KNJSE9YD

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 11-22-2016).]

Russ88TTop

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2016 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ88TTopClick Here to visit Russ88TTop's HomePageSend a Private Message to Russ88TTopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still make them, you have a PM

Russ

------------------

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered a set of the clip things last night. I will try that first. I think the padded strap might help with pressure on the shoulder but not much with the neck.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ones I have are actually quite comfortable on the neck. Takes away that cutting edge of the belt. If they're still uncomfortable, you can always do the Gangsta Lean thing. Whatever you use, in order to be effective, the seatbelt shoulder strap needs to stay snug against the chest. No slack.
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero seatbelts are adjustable for tension. Pull the seatbelt just slightly away from your chest and allow it to 'catch' by slowly returning your thumb to your chest.
The owner's manual specifies a maximum of 1" of slack. That'll keep it off your neck.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bought these for my Indy some time ago...
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Cool...AOSw7FRWZHiq&vxp=mtr

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

PontiacTate

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacTateSend a Private Message to PontiacTateEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish there was some form of a seat belt guide that we could incorporate for the Fiero so it wouldn't be cutting necks off. lol. I've tried the clips and they're a pain in the rear when trying to actually take the seat belt off or put on cause they bunch up the belt.
Tate
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:
Fiero seatbelts are adjustable for tension. Pull the seatbelt just slightly away from your chest and allow it to 'catch' by slowly returning your thumb to your chest.
The owner's manual specifies a maximum of 1" of slack. That'll keep it off your neck.
Sorry... Fiero Seat belt isn't really made to adjust regardless whatever OM says.
Springs for many cars keep the belt a little tight all the time. Is design to Allow you to move around but Locks when you hit the brake enough to move the pendulum(s) in the belt assembly. Releases the lock automatically when driving on level ground or low hills. (Steep hills can lock them too.)

You might get it to give a bit of slack to start but will soon loose that when you move to drive, back up, etc.

If you car won't keep some pressure on the belt then belt likely has problems. Example: Many Fiero and other old cars have dirty belts and that alone can cause enough binding to keep the belt too loose or too tight while driving.

Many new cars have adjustable brackets on upper B pillar (C pillar too for some) to stop cutting necks. Too bad is not an easy or safe way to upgrade to this in a Fiero.

Many New cars use same setup and adds pretension parts so air bags goes off the belt tightens too. Pretension parts maybe part of the belt ratchet, the latch, or both. (I had to replace a latch because pretensioner made AB light on even tho didn't blow the pretension piston or anything else.)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-30-2016).]

PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its seems it would be a driver height /distance from the wheel issue? Perhaps a pad to raise the driver in the seat. Or these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sea...?hash=item25bf279d1a

or these which could move the attachment point to the drivers left, making the angle of the belt more vertical.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PC...AOSwHMJYKbDc&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zon...AOSwRgJXhSZV&vxp=mtr

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-30-2016).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
Its seems it would be a driver height /distance from the wheel issue?
Mostly height and weight.
Short people has problems because of "neck cutting." Many ER see this after wrecks as broken collar bone etc on short drivers.
Large people often have problem w/ lower belt... Not enough belt. This is what extender are mostly made for.
(Many experts say seat belt should rest on your shoulder and gives 10 to 12 inches between you and the air bag and steering wheel.)

Most belts for cars sold in the US are design & built for ~ 5' 5"-5' 9" and ~160lb max.
Some cars as noted above have adjustable brackets for upper body restraint to help shorter/taller people but often doesn't help pregnant women etc because belt in simply too short.

Even people w/in that range... wearing big winter clothing, tool/police belts, etc, can have same problems or worse. Coats etc can move the belt off where there should be and belt is unless or even cause fatal injuries.

Why don't they make a longer belt for all cars?
They could but is not a simple to make. Longer belt then the more belt the retractor(s) must wind up etc. This means compete redesign and where to fit the bigger belt assemble in B or C pillar. Many are a tight fit now. Worse, Longer belt often will drag more dirt into the retractor causing big problems.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32180 posts
Member since Mar 99
Here's Fiero Seat Belt Assembly... (Under black plastic to keep trash out of it.)

Picture is a little small then full size.

Notes:
Locking arm hits teeth on each side of belt reel. (You only see 1 side of both reel here.)
Belt is over filling the reel because whole belt was out of car at the time. This stops locking parts to work. In Normal operation the belts retract below locking teeth on the reels.
Not sure about left side cover because didn't want risk wreck the part. Is my daily ride. (Took this a couple years ago when had to pull interior trim.)
Seat Belt Waring switch is in the D side Latch.

Again Many cars are same or close to this setup. Some only use 1 big reel and other end is bolted to frame near floor and latch just move on the one belt.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2016 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[B]Originally posted by theogre:

Sorry... Fiero Seat belt isn't really made to adjust regardless whatever OM says.

Many new cars have adjustable brackets on upper B pillar (C pillar too for some) to stop cutting necks. Too bad is not an easy or safe way to upgrade to this in a Fiero.

I've been driving my '84 SE since it was new in May '84, and it's still a daily driver. I automatically adjust the shoulder belt so it doesn't rub my neck just as the owner's manual suggests.
My '86 coupe and '88 Formula have the same feature. Abrupt vehicle motions such as panic stops or collisions trigger the lock mechanism to ensure the wearer is restrained.
I can personally attest to the functionality being effective in both of those events on several occasions.

Of course, the restraint system needs to be performing according to its designed function; malfunctioning restraint systems aren't reliable restraints.

That feature was introduced to encourage seat belt use by people complaining about the discomfort that a snug belt induced.
It was discontinued when it became apparent that too many people were not abiding by the 'hand width' limit, thereby compromising the effectiveness of the restraint.

Generally speaking, a properly functioning seatbelt mechanism operating as designed may be safer than a seatbelt with some other non-original attachment.
Using devices not originally provided by the manufacturer may impair the intended function and reduce the manufacturer's liability exposure in event of a failure to restrain.

My suggestion is to try the provided solution before fiddling with an attachment. It's a 'no-fuss', 'no-cost', 'no-loss', 'no harm in trying' solution to the belt rubbing your neck.

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2016 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How tall are you?
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2016 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
6 feet 1 inch
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2016 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Russ88TTop:

I still make them, you have a PM

Russ

I don't remember who I bought mine from years ago (looked similar to that picture) but they do work!!

PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2016 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Orief used to make them. Still doing the job maybe 10years on??

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock