5 speed shifter question ? by robert1234
Started on: 11-18-2016 07:00 PM
Replies: 19 (525 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 11-27-2016 04:55 PM
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2016 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 5 speed was shifting fine, but now is hard to get into 1st sometimes, it does not do it all the time.
What could be the problem ?
Do I need to get Rodney's kit and rebuild the shifter ? Would that help it ?

Hope its not the transmission......
Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2016 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Does it go into 1st (and reverse) fine when the engine is not running?
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2016 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll have to check.....going out now.

robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2016 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

robert1234

461 posts
Member since Oct 2015
Without engine running --- Most of the time it shifts ok, but then feels like it wants to hang up going from 2nd to 1st.
Shifts great from 1st to 2nd
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2016 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Have you checked for obvious things like coins or other debris in the console jamming up the shifter?

Have you adjusted the shifter cables?
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2016 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just checked it this afternoon for coins and other junk, nothing in there. Everything is very clean.

I replaced the select cable when I first got it, everything worked fine for many months.

Never adjusted the cable, since its the original

[This message has been edited by robert1234 (edited 11-18-2016).]

Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2016 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty normal, especially when you're moving.
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2016 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone know ?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2016 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by robert1234:

Never adjusted the cable, since its the original.

Cables stretch and/or wear over time. If you've never adjusted the cables, might be worthwhile trying.

viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2016 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A good rule of thumb, if one cable went bad, the other isn't far behind.
This held true for my 4 speed the instant I got it. I have yet to see any issues with my 5 speed, but I do hear of one cable going bad more often than the other (I forget which, by name. Whichever one points up in the air to collect water lol) for the Getrag.
I do currently have a failing master cylinder in my Getrag, and first gear is where it seems to show up most often. I pump the pedal once or twice, ensuring full travel, and it temporarily corrects itself. Just been lazy getting around to ordering Rodney Dickman's replacement, and I can attest to the quality of his parts, so definitely order his cable(s) if that's your culprit.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2016 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

I have yet to see any issues with my 5 speed, but I do hear of one cable going bad more often than the other (I forget which, by name. Whichever one points up in the air to collect water lol) for the Getrag.

That would be the select (side to side) cable.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-19-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2016 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it is hard to shift with the engine running look to the clutch.. Syncromesh systems have a real hard time changing engine speeds. If it is hard to shift with the engine off look to the cables.
paulsobj

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2016 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paulsobjSend a Private Message to paulsobjEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have problems first and reverse. If I cant get it into R I go shift into 2 and 1 then try again in R.
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2016 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These shifters are quirky..... The is nothing wrong with the shift cable, I disconnected it and it's good.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
So a little adjustment, and now its all good.
Thanks everyone !

Without this Forum, Fiero's would be left to rot !

[This message has been edited by robert1234 (edited 11-20-2016).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds first signs of wearing clutch. Hows the shifter arm?

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 11-24-2016).]

robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everything is good right now, but you may be correct.
We will see in a few weeks after I drive it more.

robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

robert1234

461 posts
Member since Oct 2015
Do you have to pull the engine to replace the clutch ?

I would think you do.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do you have to pull the engine to replace the clutch ?

Well... not quite. You need to "pull" the transmission. And to do that you need to tip or completely drop the cradle.
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which way is best to do ?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2016 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Which way is best to do ?

Depends on a lot of things. There's not really a "best" way for everyone.

In a nice roomy garage with plenty of space to wheel the whole cradle around... drop the cradle.

In a dirt/gravel driveway... tilt the cradle.

Plenty of discussion in lots of threads about these procedures. A relatively recent thread is Here.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-27-2016).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock