Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Need some education on 1987 GT 5 speed !

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Need some education on 1987 GT 5 speed ! by robert1234
Started on: 11-13-2016 10:13 AM
Replies: 21 (321 views)
Last post by: robert1234 on 11-15-2016 09:09 PM
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can someone point me in the right direction for:
1) Transmission indentification so I can understand which one I have.
2) Checking and draining the manual transmission fluid.
3) Type of fluid to put back in ? I see mixed opinions on this...

Thanks

[This message has been edited by robert1234 (edited 11-13-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have a getrag 5 speed if its original
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If one transmission cable comes down from the top and the other from the bottom, it's a Getrat. If both are side by side, underneath the breather tube, it's a 4-speed. If both side by side over the top of the breather tube, it's an Isuzu.

Drain plug is on the bottom of the transmission. Fill through the fill plug if it has one, otherwise, VERY carefully remove the speedometer sender. Add 2.5 quarts of Pennzoil Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid. Found at most AutoZones or other auto parts stores.

Isuzu

Getrag

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 11-13-2016).]

robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks !
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2016 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fill procedure is in your Owners Manual.
http://www.fieronews.net/fu...0owners%20manual.pdf

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2016 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15144 posts
Member since Nov 1999
Original recommendations when the Fiero came out in 1984 were 5-30 oil or ATF.

Later, Pontiac issued a Service Bulletin saying that ALL manual transmissions should be filled using Synchromesh Transmission Fluid
My GM parts counter guys also recommended adding a 4oz bottle of AC Delco Limited Slip Axle Additive - never had any problems!

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2016 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierofool nailed it. I also would recommend Synchromesh. It's a little spendy, but it's not something you will have to do on a regular basis.
My ('93) Getrag held exactly two quarts. I have heard other people say differently
Regardless... fill it to "full" on the dipstick, if it has one; or to the the bottom of the opening in the fill plug, if that's the Getrag that you (probably) have.
My Isuzu doesn't have a fill plug. You have to fill it to the line on the VSS gear. DO be careful removing the VSS. If the gear falls off, it will cause you to have a bad day.
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2016 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So let me make sure I understand....
Getrag is what I have.

Drain and fill with Synchromesh.
But be careful removing the VSS. Because the gear can fall off.

How do you prevent the gear from failing off ?
How did the dealer do it ?

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2016 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

DO be careful removing the VSS. If the gear falls off, it will cause you to have a bad day.

Originally posted by robert1234:

Be gentle. Don't act like you're yanking a large carrot out of the ground.

Clean the top of the tranny around the VSS, and then perhaps dump/spray some penetrating oil in the area so it can work it's way down the side of the VSS. You want the VSS assembly to pull up and out smoothly, maybe with a slight twisting motion. The gear shouldn't fall off unless you try to haphazardly rip a semi-stuck VSS out of the hole.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-15-2016).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The gear just snaps onto the VSS (variable speed sensor) shaft. The diameter of the gear is just a little smaller than the VSS hole. The VSS may be stuck, so a light bump with a rubber hammer or dead blow might be in order, working your way around the VSS. Don't use a metal hammer. It could damage it.

Sometimes you can use a good strong wide blade screwdriver inserted into the hold down slot on the side and while wiggling the vss with your hand, exert pressure to lift and break it loose. Once loose, grasp the vss with both hands and very slowly work it upward, using the sides of your hands against the transmission to exert the upward force while wiggling it. Don't just grab and pull up while rocking the vss. Act like you're removing the cork from a champagne bottle. Restrain it with one hand while removing it with the other.

As the o-ring seal releases, VERY SLOWLY lift while guiding the gear up through the hole. A flashlight may be helpful. Snagging the gear on the lip of the hole.....Well, Raydar said it best. I suggest to not drain the transmission until you have the fill plug or the vss removed.

Update: Started typing this about an hour ago. Had to feed the dogs, give them their meds, take my meds and change the wife's IV. In the meantine....Well, Patrick comes along

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 11-15-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Update: Started typing this about an hour ago. Had to feed the dogs, give them their meds, take my meds and change the wife's IV. In the meantine....Well, Patrick comes along

Sorry Charlie.
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Getrag is what I have.

Drain and fill with Synchromesh.

I always fill through the dipstick hole with a funnel/hose.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I always fill through the dipstick hole with a funnel/hose.

Good point.

Robert, tell us again why you're asking to remove the VSS ?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Getrag is what I have.

You shouldn't have to mess with a VSS if you have a getrag, or a dipstick.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-15-2016).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Good point.

Could be because I had advised to use the VSS in instances where there was no dipstick. On transmissions that don't have a dipstick, I've never pulled any plugs from the case. I always used the VSS port.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12810 posts
Member since Jan 2002

Originally posted by Patrick:

Good point.

Could be because I had advised to use the VSS in instances where there was no dipstick. On transmissions that don't have a dipstick, I've never pulled any plugs from the case. I always used the VSS port.
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, good information. But....
I don't recall wanted to do anything with the VSS.

I asked.....
Can someone point me in the right direction for:
1) Transmission indentification so I can understand which one I have.
2) Checking and draining the manual transmission fluid.
3) Type of fluid to put back in ? I see mixed opinions on this...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't recall wanted to do anything with the VSS.

You didn't type the following?

robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I did, but I was trying to figure out why the VSS was involved.

I"m corn-fused.... !
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

robert1234

461 posts
Member since Oct 2015
Postings are like texts, they can go off in the wrong direction sometimes. LOL
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the above pics in the post above show your transmission.
Follow the posted directions, you may use the dipstick hole to add fluid by funnel and hose.
Check level after 2.5qts are added. fill as necessary.
PFF
System Bot
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Indiana_resto_guy

Thanks, I'll do it this weekend.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock