I've been asked this a million times !!!!! Opinions by robert1234
Started on: 11-10-2016 06:23 PM
Replies: 24 (550 views)
Last post by: sardonyx247 on 11-12-2016 12:22 PM
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back in Sept. I got hit ....T-Bone right in my drivers door by a driver that was under the influence and going fast. If it had not been for my side air bags in my new car, I would not be posting here now.
So, everyone asks me:
1) Why drive a car that's not as safe as a new one.
2) Aren't I scared to drive a Fiero in today's crazy driver world?

I'm sure others here have been asked these type of ?'s before.

What do you say to this type of questions ?

[This message has been edited by robert1234 (edited 11-10-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess the question is, "What are the chances of that happening? What are the chances of that happening again?"

I've heard of at least one Fiero being hit broadside. The driver was seriously injured - mostly hip injuries - but lived to post, here, about it.
(His words... "I got a door shoved up my ass." ...or something to that effect.)

The other question is, "Are you going to live in fear of what 'might' happen?"

BTW... the car that hit the Fiero was a Volvo station wagon, IIRC.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-10-2016).]

robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Raydar, very good points. That's how I feel.
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have wondered this myself as I drive my Tahoe or other modern car with airbags.

I keep telling myself plenty of people take the risk of driving a motorcycle and in comparison to that, a Fiero is pretty safe.

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.85 at 114mph

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DimeMachine:

I have wondered this myself as I drive my Tahoe or other modern car with airbags.

I keep telling myself plenty of people take the risk of driving a motorcycle and in comparison to that, a Fiero is pretty safe.

Hulki said in one of the videos that the fiero is the strongest/safest non air bag car that GM made.
tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I drove my first 30yrs before air bags, or anti-lock brakes. If the first 30 haven't killed me, Hell what's another 30. I did have a few serious accidents in those first 30, including a 70mph rollover and being ejected in a VW bug.
DotTC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

I drove my first 30yrs before air bags, or anti-lock brakes. If the first 30 haven't killed me, Hell what's another 30. I did have a few serious accidents in those first 30, including a 70mph rollover and being ejected in a VW bug.

bug tried to swat you?
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suppose it varies per locale, wether you're in the city, out in the boonies, or somewhere in between. I am personally fond of older cars, I prefer driving them much more than the new-fangled gadget-riddled cars of today. The fiero in particular, is an experience of it's own, with manual steering and compact size. Just pulling out onto the road, I immediately realized that my attention to driving would need to be enhanced, the first time I drove one.

I hope for the drivers around me to realize that this is something of an unusual car, being seldom seen anymore, and instilling that "oh god I would hate to scratch that, my premiums would skyrocket!" Reaction that I used to get when I saw something sporty and old or exotic.

I personally drive my cars a bit farther behind the car in front of me, than I see most people doing. I make sure to utilize turn signals and ample braking distance, never letting my driving reflect how much of a hurry my mind may ever be in.

I wear my seatbelt even if I just stopped and bought a sandwich to eat in the car.

I don't even come close to taking chances with left hand turns, I will sit through multiple cycles at the same red light if I must.

The extra distance between me and the car ahead also allows me to read the driver behind me when braking. I have two GT's and I cringe at the thought of looking once more for tail lights online.

I actively pay attention to traffic flowing in the opposite direction. I've seen enough YouTube crash compilations to warrant the necessity.

I wave others ahead at 4 way stop signs. I don't mind sitting intact when it's obvious that others are impatient with rolling stops. I often prolong my braking to see that opposing drivers will stop first and grant them the right of way.

The list goes on. I love my Fieros and I'm glad they don't have airbags or ABS.

All in all, deer scare me the most. I live in the city and frequent the country. I drive both cars daily. I'm 33 years old, waiting for the rest of my generation to catch up in mentality.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Driving old tech gives me pleasure, so even it's more risky, so be it. No point in living life if you need to be bubble-wrapped all the time.

That said, a Fiero is still "good enough" I would say, as long as you always buckle up. I wouldn't own a T-top Fiero though; seems like a major compromise in the cage surrounding the occupants.

I don't really trust airbags anyway, since my body deviates from the standard crash test dummy... an airbag can do more harm than good.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

Hulki said in one of the videos that the fiero is the strongest/safest non air bag car that GM made.

This is true....The Fiero is built like a tank...I was T-boned by a guy doing 30....The door pushed in 1/2".....

And added bit of info....The "Unsafe at any speed" Corvair was tested in the early 70s by the NHTSA against the current crop of cars and came out better than the new ones- This included handling....And they tested the first gen(1960-64) with the swing axles! (Ralphy Nader never had a license, and never drove a car...So he is fully qualified as an.....IDIOT!)

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2016 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I call Fieros one of the safest US made cars there are. Its almost to the point of having a race car cage surrounding the occupants. I know a couple of large junkyard owners and they both say its hard to crush a Fiero compared to other cars. I prefer older cars myself to new ones. I do enjoy driving newer hi-tech, but its a different experience to an old one. Safety is never one of my concerns whatever I get into. Im one of those that say when its your time, its your time. The most serious accident I was in off track was in a 1970 Lincoln Mark III. Another car ran me into the median wall at 70mph, spun it around and hit a highway overpass concrete abutment and a steel guardrail, destroying the car from end to end. The hood went thru the windshield and over the back seat. It had no airbags, I didnt wear the seatbelts and it dont have any protective beams in the sides. I opened the door and got out without a scratch. What protected me was good size and a mass of american steel...no plastic or Styrofoam parts there.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 11-11-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2016 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was talking to a gentleman about a decade ago who worked with a rural ambulance service for 40 years. He told me that back in the late 60s they would come up to an accident scene and the cars did not look too bad off, but there were many times serious injuries and fatalities. In the 2000's they would come up to an accident scene and think oh my god, these folks will be dead....as the cars look like a bomb went off. But the occupants many times are in very good condition. He is an absolute first hand believer in the engineering in todays vehicles that allow the car bodies to absorb the energy (not the driver) AND the airbags to slow the time if decelaration/accleraton on the occupant which greatly reduces the G forces and blunt force trauma on the body. The whole thing leads me to wonder. How the HELL is did the SMART car get approved for sale in the U.S. It may have a strong small body, but where are the crumple zones....
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2016 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Vehicles certainly have gotten safer...

As for smart car... here is the crash test video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz-s1sIoLhU

The car doesn't fit my needs, but it does seem to be well built, considering the size.

And another unscientific test... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnI-LiKCtuE

Originally posted by DimeMachine:

I was talking to a gentleman about a decade ago who worked with a rural ambulance service for 40 years. He told me that back in the late 60s they would come up to an accident scene and the cars did not look too bad off, but there were many times serious injuries and fatalities. In the 2000's they would come up to an accident scene and think oh my god, these folks will be dead....as the cars look like a bomb went off. But the occupants many times are in very good condition. He is an absolute first hand believer in the engineering in todays vehicles that allow the car bodies to absorb the energy (not the driver) AND the airbags to slow the time if decelaration/accleraton on the occupant which greatly reduces the G forces and blunt force trauma on the body. The whole thing leads me to wonder. How the HELL is did the SMART car get approved for sale in the U.S. It may have a strong small body, but where are the crumple zones....

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2016 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DotTC:

bug tried to swat you?

I think it did. I had a bruised rib, and the mark matched the top corner of the door. Must have got swatted by the door on the way out.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2016 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://imagizer.imageshack....00q90/923/JrNk7o.jpg
The driver walked away from this Fiero, and bought another.

If you drive like an idiot, no car is safe in an accident. I have driven my Fieros for more than 250,000 miles and haven't had any accidents. But I drive like an old man (I'll be 70 my next birthday) and have managed to stay out of trouble. I grew up in the era of no seat belts, no padded dash, no anti lock brakes, no air bags, bias belted tires, no cruise control etc.

[This message has been edited by Old Lar (edited 11-11-2016).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2016 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back in 2009 the NHTSA took a new Malibu and a 1959 Bel Air and crashed them together, offset head-on.....The malibu cut thru the Bel air like a knife thru butter...There is a video still on line.....Crush zones are a real safety boon...I'm not so enamored of the exploding bags.....But I have always worn my seatbelt....
spirit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2016 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen Fieros that have rolled sideways down hills,been ran over by 18 wheelers and trains and jumped gulleys and the p assengerswalked away. So, don't say the Fiero is unsafe. It was second only to Volvo in crash tests.
Supracoupe

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2016 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SupracoupeSend a Private Message to SupracoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only serious accident I ever had was in a Fiero GT back in the late 80's. Had just gotten a new Pioneer CD player and was jacking with it, ran a light a t-boned a Honda Accord. Front was trashed but from inside the Fiero, no visible damage other than a cracked windshield. Walked away with nothing other than a seat belt bruise and a jammed finger (it was on the CD player at the time, LOL) It wasn't until then that I learned how well they had done in the crash tests.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2016 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anecdotally, I spun out my Fiero at about 55 MPH two weeks ago on a two-lane country road. I bounced between the trees on either side of the road.

The car deformed enough to absorb the energy of hitting trees, but not so much that the cabin caved in.

I walked out. The car did what it was supposed to do.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2016 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could always find safer cars so if that is the main concern and to avoid the odd occurrence, never drive a convertible and buy a truck. I enjoy driving my Fiero and consider it reasonably safe but no car is completely accident proof. Would you feel safer in a fiberglass Corvette?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

ron768

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2016 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ron768Send a Private Message to ron768Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is not car related , but I will tell this one that happened to me once. I ride sport bikes. Once when riding to work one morning I got stopped by an army officer.( I worked on an active military base were they ran PT every morning) When ask by said officer " Are you trying to kill yourself ? " I answered " Yes sir, I get out of bed and go to work everyday. " His lower jaw hit the ground and he could not say another word. I rode off without incident . I still ride when the weather is good and drive my Fiero when its not.
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2016 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will take the skeletal frame for overall driver survival.
The Fiero was the second safest vehicle sold in America from 1984 to 1988, bested by the Volvo 740DL station wagon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...c_Fiero#Crash_Safety

Not quite impact absorption but still like a cage. Add real roll cage. Side impact is a worry still.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 11-12-2016).]

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2016 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which is safer, an energy absorbing space frame or an exploding Takata air bag?
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2016 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats a good one about the air bag.....hummm.
Have to give that alot of thought ! LOL

Some very good view points.....now I have some smart remarks next time I'm asked those questions.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2016 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just tell people my Fiero is safer than their new car.

5 Star crash rating, the best rating you can get. New cars ONLY achieve this with airbags.
BTW that is with your seatbelt ON, with it off it drops to 2 stars as with most cars.

The only car that beat it out was a Volvo (prob why you lost when you got hit by one )

When you look at the side impact beams on a Fiero there are HUGE, other cars have a tiny tube across the door and thats it.
A Fiero is one of the safest cars on the road.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock