88 formula deck lid question by alcazar88
Started on: 11-04-2016 11:08 PM
Replies: 16 (334 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 11-13-2016 08:59 PM
alcazar88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2016 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alcazar88Send a Private Message to alcazar88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking for an 88 formula deck lid with wing, does anyone know what other model and year deck lids are the same? I know the hump is quite different than my 88 GT. thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2016 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You can use a decklid off of any '85-'88 notchie on your Formula.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2016 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All 85 and up notchbacks utilize the same decklid. The pre-88's had a radio noise suppression plate above the engine on the underside, the 88's did not.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2016 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The pre-88's had a radio noise suppression plate above the engine on the underside, the 88's did not.

I'm not 100% sure about this... but I believe I've read in the forum (sometime in the last 17 years ) that the "radio noise suppression" is actually molded into the '88 decklids... as opposed to being a separate entity on the underside.

Now that I think about it, there is a grounding wire attached to the '88 decklids. So yeah, the metal mesh (or whatever it is) must be in there.
alcazar88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2016 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alcazar88Send a Private Message to alcazar88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the information, that will make it much easier to find.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2016 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I'm not 100% sure about this... but I believe I've read in the forum (sometime in the last 17 years ) that the "radio noise suppression" is actually molded into the '88 decklids... as opposed to being a separate entity on the underside.

Now that I think about it, there is a grounding wire attached to the '88 decklids. So yeah, the metal mesh (or whatever it is) must be in there.

You are correct, the suppression system was incorporated into the decklid.
alcazar88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alcazar88Send a Private Message to alcazar88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would all 85s be considered notchbacks, even GTs? I found an 85 deck, not sure what model, but wondering if it should fit the 88 formula before I drive 2 hours.

[This message has been edited by alcazar88 (edited 11-13-2016).]

DotTC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by alcazar88:

Would all 85s be considered notchbacks, even GTs? I found an 85 deck, not sure what model, but wondering if it should fit the 88 formula before I drive 2 hours.

All 85's were notchbacks.. GTs, SEs, and Base models.
alcazar88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alcazar88Send a Private Message to alcazar88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. I thought so, but wasn't 100% sure.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for confirming, I never knew that. Patrick...good man.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierogt28

2937 posts
Member since Feb 2005

Originally posted by Patrick:

Patrick, good man !!
PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pontiac actually won an award for it in 88. Some kind of industry award.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Which means if you want it to look correct for '88, you need an '88 decklid. If that's not a concern, any '85-88 notchie decklid will work.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Which means if you want it to look correct for '88, you need an '88 decklid...

...with the decklid open, perhaps.

With the decklid closed, no one will be able to tell the difference.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Except for the graphics.
alcazar88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alcazar88Send a Private Message to alcazar88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We are planning to keep the original 88 deck lid, and use this one as a spare we can try a different spoiler and an over the roof scoop on. So keeping it 88 original isn't the goal this time. Thanks.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Except for the graphics.

Good point.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock